Dementeleus

Nov 22-24 #s CF: $158,074,286 actual | Dark Knight triumphant after all

Yeah as good as this opening is, people were talking about higher numbers . Tracking was at 189m. News articles released saying it could open as high as 190m

That's so Thursday, move on. :P

• Like 2

Funny how as soon as Rth posts, everyone gets back on topic. But what an insane roller coaster this has been. I hope actuals are above 158.4 (TDK OW), but either way, it's an insane number and a successful weekend. 

Although it'd be even better if the actual was 161.1!

• Like 2

Every one was sure this was going to beat THG after RT scores and some early buzz, but they were sure killed off the first day and then they bounced back, but no more room for their happiness now.

But even with ths drop it still beats THG OW and it will beat it WW. So I hardly think there is a need for mass suicides. I dont see any meltdowns coming until the second weekend.

• Like 2

Funny how as soon as Rth posts, everyone gets back on topic. But what an insane roller coaster this has been. I hope actuals are above 158.4 (TDK OW), but either way, it's an insane number and a successful weekend. 

Although it'd be even better if the actual was 161.1!

No it wouldn't. :batman:

Disney will bless us when the TA2 comes out with estimates of 215 OW and actuals of 220+ million   :wub:

It's always great when it's a surprise instead of an expectation like both THG and Avengers. Oh and I can't forget DH2 Opening Weekend when it took the record from TDK.

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 2

But even with ths drop it still beats THG OW and it will beat it WW. So I hardly think there is a need for mass suicides. I dont see any meltdowns coming until the second weekend.

You are kidding yourself if you think that. You don't know the people in this place even if it made 200m, they would find a hole and take on it.

Ray at Mojo seemed skeptical of the number as well

The previous record-holder for a 2D-only movie is last Summer's The Dark Knight Rises ($160.9 million).Catching Fire's estimate is less than $250,000 ahead of The Dark Knight Rises, though, and there's a good chance it winds up lower when actuals report on Monday.

In a situation like this, it seems like a good time for a reminder about how Sunday morning estimates work. On Sunday morning, studios use revenue figures from Friday and Saturday to estimate a Sunday gross. While that's a fairly straightforward calculation, there's no guarantee of accuracy—it's impossible to perfectly predict how many people are going to show up to the movies on any given day. However, movies are overestimated far more often than they are underestimated, which implies that studios tend to report the higher end of projections in order to get better coverage on Sunday mornings.

In this case, if Catching Fire is overestimated by as little as 0.2 percent—a very reasonable margin of error—then it will wind up below The Dark Knight Rises.
Edited by grim22
  • Like 5