Dementeleus

Nov 22-24 #s CF: $158,074,286 actual | Dark Knight triumphant after all

Soooo..

67 OD and a 140-150 OW is not disappointing.  Tracking and expectations here don't trump history and the fact is no film that has made 400 million in it's first film has ever increased for the second film.  People went apeshit because the first blew up but as the saying goes, what goes up must come down.  In this case, it's true for both gravity and humongous grossing first films to their second film.  I;m not trying to be smug here because you all know I've had some terrible predictions before but when there were thoughts of 80 mill OD, 180 OW and so on, they were completely unrealistic.  

Now back to the OD.  67 mill OD is enormous.  Have we all really gotten that detached from reality when a 67 mill OD is disappointing?  It's massive and there are few films that have done more and for the most part the ones that have are in 3D.  I know the loonies feel let down right now, but blame that on unrealistic expectations, not on some ridiculous perceived disinterest in a film.  

I have to agree with baumer (a shocker!).

• Like 1

Soooo.. 67 OD and a 140-150 OW is not disappointing.  Tracking and expectations here don't trump history and the fact is no film that has made 400 million in it's first film has ever increased for the second film.  People went apeshit because the first blew up but as the saying goes, what goes up must come down.  In this case, it's true for both gravity and humongous grossing first films to their second film.  I;m not trying to be smug here because you all know I've had some terrible predictions before but when there were thoughts of 80 mill OD, 180 OW and so on, they were completely unrealistic. Now back to the OD.  67 mill OD is enormous.  Have we all really gotten that detached from reality when a 67 mill OD is disappointing?  It's massive and there are few films that have done more and for the most part the ones that have are in 3D.  I know the loonies feel let down right now, but blame that on unrealistic expectations, not on some ridiculous perceived disinterest in a film.

It's more about what it means for the weekend.

While it's disappointing, $67m means that day business was bigger than TDKR. $160m isn't completely dead, just a bit more difficult now.

We don't yet know if that $67M figure is correct, though. It could be low, it could more easily be high. 

But whyyyyyy

Because! They were disappointed that their wildly over-hyped expectations were not reached. That made a perfectly respectable OD showing seem like abject failure. Hence the suicidal ramblings, cursing America, expletives hurled at the GA, etc. 

Didn't really follow this movie (I feel like this is a far bigger deal in the US than here), but reading predictions and other articles I had the feeling it would do a lot more than that.

Still, this is a great opening, even if it is below expectations.

I'm kinda glad that it did less than TDK, TDKR and IM 3 though.  :sherlock:

Just kidding.

I agree with what you're saying, baumer, but was it wrong to expect a bigger OW than the first? Isn't the sequel model that you get a bigger OW, but worse legs?

Not when the opening weekend was 150 mill for the first one.  And yes, it perhaps should have opened bigger, but not by much.  I had it opening to 155.

• Like 1

Not when the opening weekend was 150 mill for the first one.  And yes, it perhaps should have opened bigger, but not by much.  I had it opening to 155.

Very true. I had this opening at 170-175, but I insisted on comparing it with Spider-man and Harry Potter, both with incredible first movies openings (both set record by the time), and both with lower opening (SM2 had a Thursday opening but 88 weekend is quite lower than 114) and total in second parts. I did not realize that both sequels had opened lower than first parts and CF could have the same behaviour. Sincerely, I did not see this coming.

Anyway, as you have said in a previous post, 140-150 opening is still HUGE. And a total of 350-360 (just with IMAX boost, no 3D) is HUGE

• Like 1

Huge total w/ a but, this franchise peaked already? Rare to see w/ first entries (at least domestically)

It's not uncommon at all.  Not when the first film has kind of saturated the market.

• Like 2

Huge total w/ a but, this franchise peaked already? Rare to see w/ first entries (at least domestically)

Star Wars New trilogy (I do not say the original, other times) and Spider-man had the same behaviour. And Harry Potter is not in this club because there is a 10 years gap between first and last, but the first is the most attended of the franchise.

Edited by peludo