Dementeleus

Nov 22-24 #s CF: $158,074,286 actual | Dark Knight triumphant after all

But that doesn't mean anything.  Your talking about it like expectations amount to dollars.  I've said this 100 times now, this film, like many others before, peaked at the first film.  You can use tracking, magazines, film nerds, film buffs, film historians, writers, directors, studio heads, Spielberg, Cameron, Lucas, anything and everyone you want and it doesn't change the fact that no film that has grossed 400 million in its first film has ever increased for its second.  And the opening weekend was never going to go up as much as people said it would.  History proves this.

You're right of course. But I'm just saying why people are feeling a certain kind of way. Everybody will recover and accept the best it can do is beat the last one's opening weekend. But in predicting we all get caught up one point or another because it's our favorite movie .

Edited by ECSTASY

Why do we even care about Cinemascore again?

Best article I read about CS: http://thedissolve.com/features/exposition/272-the-cinemascore-f-estival/

Pollsters are stationed in multiplexes across the country, where moviegoers are given a simple cardboard questionnaire that asks them to fill out a few demographic categories and give the movie they’ve just seen a grade from A to F. The results are then tallied and reported on opening day, so studios and box-office watchers can get some idea of how word of mouth might affect a film’s performance on Saturday, Sunday, and the weeks ahead.

Though Nate Silver has yet to weigh in on CinemaScore’s methodology—I suspect it’s somewhere between Rasmussen and the Unskewed Polls guy—there are two things to take away from the results: 1. Most movies get high marks, because people choose to see movies that appeal to them, and Hollywood is committed (too committed, frankly) to giving them exactly what they want. 2. No nitpicking about methodology can obscure the fact that F-rated movies are films that general audiences rejected. So whatever the merits of Steven Soderbergh’s Solarisremake, Killing Them SoftlyBugWolf CreekDarknessThe BoxThe Devil Inside, and Silent House—the eight movies that have gotten F CinemaScores to date—it’s clear that “real people” rejected them.To me, what these cases reveal about CinemaScore is that it isn’t a metric of merit, but a barometer of comfort, with satisfaction on one end and estrangement on the other. But estranging qualities are qualities nonetheless, even if they break from expectation. The romantic comedies of Gerard Butler may be dull, deplorable, or some combination of the two, but they aren’t going to alienate people who unaccountably enjoy the romantic comedies of Gerard Butler.The aggravation of CinemaScore is how much it reveals—and, as a service, reinforces— Hollywood’s minimal interest in trying anything new. And that, in turn, trains moviegoers not to expect or appreciate the unexpected: On the barometer of comfort, both producers and audiences are set on “cozy.”

• Like 2

Its still doing great business. Nothing wrong with these figures at face value. Just put it against its expectations and the first film's performance, yeah it's disappointing.

The only reason it's disappointing is because people were being unrealistic.

• Like 3