ChD

The Hateful Eight | Out NOW in Digital and 70mm | 187 minutes long including a 12 minutes intermission

As the title suggests, some of these characters are not who they seem, and none of them can be trusted. There are no “good guys” in The Hateful Eight; all the characters are miserable scoundrels capable of shocking brutality. Joining the action in progress, and slowly teasing out the Eight’s backstories with lengthy exchanges of dialogue turns the movie into one giant poker game with life-or-death stakes, and Tarantino delights in prolonging the tension until the only way it can be released is through a relentless crescendo of violence that’s extreme even by his liberal standards. Tarantino’s movies have often climaxed with Mexican standoffs, like the old spaghetti Westerns of Sergio Leone (whose signature composer, Ennio Morricone, provides The Hateful Eight’s dread-drenched score). But The Hateful Eight is all Mexican standoff, a sustained, three-hour stalemate conducted at the ends of several large guns.

The men and women doing the conducting may be the finest ensemble Tarantino’s ever assembled. A script with this much dialogue (much of it deliberately obfuscating the characters’ true intentions) demands actors of the highest caliber, and Hateful Eight delivers a tremendous mix of Tarantino repertory players (including Roth, Madsen, Russell, and Jackson, giving maybe his finest performance since Pulp Fiction) and very appealing newcomers (including standout Jennifer Jason Leigh as the sadistic, racist, and surprisingly hilarious Daisy). There are much bigger movies this Christmas, filled with more elaborate visuals and stunts, but there’s no greater special effect this season than Samuel L. Jackson reciting a lengthy Quentin Tarantino monologue.

http://screencrush.com/the-hateful-eight-review/?trackback=tsmclip

• Like 5

If I can nail down a time to see this in 70mm, I'm definitely gonna do that. The fact that they are releasing it in 70mm is awesome, but they may lose money on it, considering how many places are playing H8ful in that format. I'm not surprised tickets are $20.

Edited by Jayhawk the Hutt

http://deadline.com/2015/12/the-hateful-eight-star-wars-force-awakens-arclight-theater-fight-1201668018/

Quentin Tarantino went on the Howard Stern Sirius radio show and spoke about how Disney is strong-arming Arclight Cinemas to push the director’s 70MM presentation of his eighth film The Hateful Eight aside in favor of Star Wars: The Force Awakens in LA’s famed Cinemarama Dome. The director first learned about this on Monday. The western was originally due to play there claims Tarantino starting on Dec. 25th, but now Force Awakens is getting an extended play through the holidays.

“It was real bad news and it fucking pissed me off,” Tarantino told Stern. “They are going out of their way to fuck me.”

All per Tarantino: when ArcLight Cinemas told Disney they were honoring their contract for Hateful Eight, Disney threatened to pull Force Awakens from all ArcLight locations.

https://soundcloud.com/howardstern/tarantino_disney

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Doesn't ArcLight pride themselves on being a prestige theater anyway? I say let them pull Star Wars. There's no way Disney can come out of this looking in the right and I suspect they'll back down

Probably too late at this point. Contracts have been signed and all. The 70mm showtimes for The Hateful Eight on the 24th and 25th aren't in the Cinerama dome, while Star Wars is playing there.

If Arclight was to pull Star Wars from it, they'd be in breach of the contract and likely be out far more than any possible social negative Disney might suffer.

I searched up showtimes for this and look like my schedule for Dec 24th is set! 

I'm so fucking stoked for this! The unabashed Tarantino fangirl in me came out and just annoyed the heck out of my boyfriend with the gushing excitement lol. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Doesn't ArcLight pride themselves on being a prestige theater anyway? I say let them pull Star Wars. There's no way Disney can come out of this looking in the right and I suspect they'll back down

The Arclight isn't an art-house chain... they just run art-house movies along with mainstream ones, in a premium presentation. Star Wars will make more money in their theaters on Thursday night alone than they will for the entire run of HATEFUL EIGHT. For better or worse, choosing HATEFUL EIGHT and having Disney pull SW from their theaters would be a fireable offense for their CEO. It's a no-brainer.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

The Arclight isn't an art-house chain... they just run art-house movies along with mainstream ones, in a premium presentation. Star Wars will make more money in their theaters on Thursday night alone than they will for the entire run of HATEFUL EIGHT. For better or worse, choosing HATEFUL EIGHT and having Disney pull SW from their theaters would be a fireable offense for their CEO. It's a no-brainer.

If only the CEO was already on his way out with nothing to lose... :lol:

4 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Man, Star Wars is really taking this movie's thunder right now. Any other year and there's be a lot more excitement over news of another Tarantino masterpiece

Well, sure, but everyone knew that would be the case. I mean, they probably didn't think it would be quite *this* bad, but they knew it was coming to some degree. Which is presumably why Hateful Eight is only in limited release on Christmas. My guess is it won't go fully wide for a couple weeks to let Star Wars start dying down a bit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Well, sure, but everyone knew that would be the case. I mean, they probably didn't think it would be quite *this* bad, but they knew it was coming to some degree. Which is presumably why Hateful Eight is only in limited release on Christmas. My guess is it won't go fully wide for a couple weeks to let Star Wars start dying down a bit.

It goes wide New Year's which is better than facing The Revenant IMO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

7 minutes of the score. I'm really digging it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHpza9bQAkY

Ouch! So beautifully old-school!
Reminded me of movie I haven't seen since a childhood - The Time Machine, based on H.G.Wells book. I have no idea if there is any similairity between the music from that movie and H8, but somehow images just poped to my mind.