Shawn Robbins

Wednesday #s: ANCHORMAN 2 8.1M/ It's in a glass case of emotion / Hobbit (4.855m) / CF (1.243m)

HTTYD2 is already in a better position than KFP2 because:

1) it's not gonna come out against a $85m opener

2) from the new trailer it looks like a continuation of the story and not more of the same

3) it's gonna be the first major animated movie in two months

4) HTTYD was arguably better received than KFP

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 3

• Founder / Operator

Well it'll all depend on the marketing. All the ingredients are there for it to increase, but if you show marketing that makes it look like more of the same ala-KFP2 then you won't bring in the new audience you need to cover those who didn't like the first/ don't care about the sequel. I'm expecting around 250m for it, but that may change depending on marketing. Also another thing going for it is the lack of big hits in 2014. It's a barren wasteland and usually when that happens some movie breaks out way bigger then we expect.

I generally agree, except I'm still a little perplexed at why everyone is saying 2014 looks barren. It doesn't have many obvious mega-blockbusters, but I'm actually thinking that leaves room for a number of other movies to surprise/overperform.

• Like 3

I generally agree, except I'm still a little perplexed at why everyone is saying 2014 looks barren. It doesn't have many obvious mega-blockbusters, but I'm actually thinking that leaves room for a number of other movies to surprise/overperform.

Personally I'm rooting for 2014 to be a triumphant return of the "original" blockbuster. Interstellar and Jupiter Ascending both have the potential to be big. Tomorrowland was going to be apart of this group, but since it's move to 2015 hopefully it can shine amongst the slaughterfest of sequels/remakes.

• Like 3

Personally I'm rooting for 2014 to be a triumphant return of the "original" blockbuster. Interstellar and Jupiter Ascending both have the potential to be big. Tomorrowland was going to be apart of this group, but since it's move to 2015 hopefully it can shine amongst the slaughterfest of sequels/remakes.

Interstellar yes. Jupiter Ascending looks like another John Carter/Cloud Atlas type movie

• Like 5

• Founder / Operator

Interstellar yes. Jupiter Ascending looks like another John Carter/Cloud Atlas type movie

Have to agree. I don't see it hitting $100m based on that trailer alone.

Personally though, it does look interesting.

• Like 4

Eh I don't think Interstellar's going to be any bigger than Gravity, if that big. 2014 probably isn't going to end up being better for "original" blockbusters than any other recent year

Saw Anchorman again today. 90% full at 130pm. My audience laughed all the way thru. It seems WOM will be verrrry good.

Edited by Christmas baumer
  • Like 3

Eh I don't think Interstellar's going to be any bigger than Gravity, if that big. 2014 probably isn't going to end up being better for "original" blockbusters than any other recent year

If it ends up around Gravity that would be incredibly good for it

• Like 5

If it ends up around Gravity that would be incredibly good for it

I know, I just meant that Interstellar alone doing well isn't enough to consider 2014 a good year for "original" blockbusters. Unless you consider 2013 that

• Like 2

I know, I just meant that Interstellar alone doing well isn't enough to consider 2014 a good year for "original" blockbusters. Unless you consider 2013 that

No, but Gravity was a damn good start as far as that goes.

So wait Frozen actually increased 4.1% over last Wednesday

Yep.

Edited by Mango