Shawn Robbins

Wednesday #s: ANCHORMAN 2 8.1M/ It's in a glass case of emotion / Hobbit (4.855m) / CF (1.243m)

Agreed.   I think a lot of people were reacting to the fact that her character is stupid and unlikable. (And maybe the fact that she is not attractive....we are effected by that)   But I thought she was brilliant.   Just the stairway scene by itself is amazing.  She slowly morphs from hopeless terror at the bottom of the stairs to determined aggression at the top of the stairs.  She carries that entire scene...not Jack.

For me The Shining is the best horror movie of all time (tied for #1 with Let Me In) and Kubrick's best.

Without getting too personal here, my mother lived with an alcoholic, that being my father.  And this was in the 70's.  It was a different time thirty years ago.  Women have more rights now and spousal abuse is taken much more seriously.  But back then it wasn't as serious.  My mother and father had their physical battles and I witnessed them.  And believe me, Duvall was not really stupid.  She was treading water very carefully.  She was living with a time bomb and did her best to avoid it going off.  That's what women did (maybe they still do, I don't know) back then.  They tried to minimize the damage.  But once Danny was threatened, all bets are off.  She took control, as did my mom when she felt I was threatened.  Duvall's performance and her character were very real to me because I witnessed what she went through first hand.

• Like 2

Stephen King hates Kubrick's The Shining so a lot of people hate it too. I get King's criticisms about the movie even though I love the movie.

He just hates it because of the changes Kubrick made from the book to the movie.  The book is brilliant as well and there's nothing wrong with having two different interpretations of the story.

• Like 5

And we're ready for you, Tele:

Posted Image

I'm not gay but Jesus I forgot how fucking perfect Sly's body was back in the day. He was 36 there and looks better than like 90% of people in their 20s.

Hell, he's 67 now and still does. What a beast.

EDIT: Or was that from the newer Rambo? Either way it doesn't hurt my case.

Edited by Mango
  • Like 2

He just hates it because of the changes Kubrick made from the book to the movie.  The book is brilliant as well and there's nothing wrong with having two different interpretations of the story.

He feels some of the changes were frivolous and Kubrick did it just because he could. Have you read his sequel to The Shining ? He made it perfectly clear that he was writing the sequel to the book and not the movie.