Films

Wicked: Part 1 | November 22, 2024 | Jon M Chu to direct | Ariana Grande is Galinda. Cynthia Erivo is Elphaba

On 6/16/2016 at 2:03 PM, ban1o said:

book of mormon will never get made.into a movie lol. 

Also Wicked will never get a BP nom. Most theatre critics don't even think it's  a good musical. Even when it first came out in 2003 it didn't get good reviews. It's just super popular among teenage girls lol. At the tony's it lost best musical to a puppet show musical. I'm super excited for this though. i have a soft spot for the show since it was one of my first musicals I ever saw, 

I wonder who they will cast. Unknowns or name actors? 

I agree.  Wicked as a musical is quite terrible.  The music's not to bad, except for the fact it wasn't good enough to be overplayed and sang to death the way it is.  

Wicked is probably the most overrated musical ever made. (More than Phantom)

Edited by The Pandaren

On 6/17/2016 at 12:33 AM, ban1o said:

book of mormon will never get made.into a movie lol. 

Also Wicked will never get a BP nom. Most theatre critics don't even think it's  a good musical. Even when it first came out in 2003 it didn't get good reviews. It's just super popular among teenage girls lol. At the tony's it lost best musical to a puppet show musical. I'm super excited for this though. i have a soft spot for the show since it was one of my first musicals I ever saw, 

I wonder who they will cast. Unknowns or name actors? 

Frozen has stolen a lot of its thunder (if not all). Also, Oz tales don't seem to do all that well OS.

I never watched the show but the original book is LIT! If that had been made into a premium HBO/Netflix adult skewing mini-series, we would be seeing a whole other level of quality.

Still think this adaptation would be better served as an animation though:

Edited by Spidey Freak

On 25. kesäkuuta 2016 at 11:41 AM, Spidey Freak said:

Frozen has stolen a lot of its thunder (if not all). Also, Oz tales don't seem to do all that well OS.

I never watched the show but the original book is LIT! If that had been made into a premium HBO/Netflix adult skewing mini-series, we would be seeing a whole other level of quality.

Still think this adaptation would be better served as an animation though:

Why there was some Pocahontas sounding music there?

On 6/16/2016 at 1:35 PM, Jonwo said:

What's the betting that Disney slots Star Wars IX to that date and force Universal to move it to either Christmas Day or Summer 2020.

Ever heard of counter programming? TDK didn't kill Mama Mia!.

On 6/16/2016 at 2:14 PM, Spaghetti said:

That was meant to be a joke in response to ELIAC and The Reader getting in despite poor reviews.

By the way, WB kind of crapped the bed with their Phantom adaptation. Getting the director of Batman and Robin and giving it a wimpy release over the holiday break with little promotion. Give it bigger names, an actually solid director and release schedule, and it could have been huge. I wouldn't be surprised if WB tries to remake it in the next ten years.

They need to start by casting an actor who can actually sing as the Phantom.

And yes, a properly made Phantom would be massive.

I started wondering about how long it tends to take musicals to get a screen adaptation. Not a complete list, but here's what I've found. Listed in order from longest to shortest time until the film adaptation.

Les Miserables - Musical in '80 (or '85, for the English language version). Film in '12. 32 or 27 years.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - Musical in '79. Film in '07. 28 years.

Into the Woods - Musical in '86. Film in '14. 28 years.

Chicago - Musical in '75. Movie in '02. 27 years.

Dreamgirls - Musical in '81. Film in '06. 25 years.

Evita - Musical in '78. Film in '96. 18 years.

Phantom of the Opera - Musical in '86. Movie '04. 18 years.

RENT - Musical in '96 (workshopped in '93), Movie in '05. 9 years.

Mamma Mia! - Musical in '99. Movie in '08. 9 years.

Jersey Boys - Musical in '05. Film in '14. 9 years.

Hairspray - Musical in '02. Film in 2007. 5 years.

Grease - Musical in '71. Movie in '78. 7 years.

Rock of Ages - Musical in '05. Film in '12. 7 years.

Annie - Musical in '77. Film in '82. 5 years.

The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas - Musical in '78. Film in '82. 4 years.

The Producers - Musical in '01. Film in '05. 4 years.

Jesus Christ Superstar - Musical in '71. Film in '73. 2 years.

Wicked first showed in '03 and with a 16 year delay until the film, it's above average, but only slightly.

• Like 1

Oliver! was eight years from stage to film as was My Fair Lady. 

Wicked probably took so long because it was still making tons of money and the producers were happy to wait rather than rush an inferior film. It's Universal's most profitable franchise outside of Fast and Furious, Jurassic World and Minions, they'll want the film to be just as big.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 1:08 PM, ChipMunky said:

Wicked is awesome. 

I agree, both the novel and the musical are really good, but that does not mean the film will be.

And I am trying to get how a musical that opened on Broadway back in 2003 is somehow stealing from a movie made in 2013.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 2:56 PM, Jonwo said:

Oliver! was eight years from stage to film as was My Fair Lady. 

Wicked probably took so long because it was still making tons of money and the producers were happy to wait rather than rush an inferior film. It's Universal's most profitable franchise outside of Fast and Furious, Jurassic World and Minions, they'll want the film to be just as big.

How the hell is Wicked a franchise?

Do you have to think of everything in terms of franchise?

On 8/31/2018 at 7:40 PM, dudalb said:

How the hell is Wicked a franchise?

Do you have to think of everything in terms of franchise?

It’s a gigantic play, running for 15 years, performed all over the world, that sells licensed productions, music, and merchandise....

its a franchise.

• Like 1