lilmac

Tuesday numbers (12/24) - DOS - 5.25, FRZ - 4.78, AH - 2.9, AM2 - 2.8, SMB - 1.92

I think Mitty is going to do well. I saw people lining up outside a showing! 

I'm stunned how well this is doing at my theater I went to and at DC theaters I track. Didn't think it would do so hot with mediocre reviews and competition, but it might do over 6 mill, which would be tremendous.

I don't think JLaw was well integrated into the movie, though that's as much Russell's fault as hers.

That's because Russell made the movie a lot more character-oriented and focused a lot on the romance and personal relationships. That made sticking Rosalyn into the plot-driving scenes more awkward and forced.

I thought the movie was very strong for the kind of film it was, but it does leave a lot of the FBI-politics-Mob drama and scope by the wayside. You could make an entirely different film from the same material (in all sorts of ways). DOR simply didn't want to get into the political/mob thriller route I presume.

That's because Russell made the movie a lot more character-oriented and focused a lot on the romance and personal relationships. That made sticking Rosalyn into the plot-driving scenes more awkward and forced.I thought the movie was very strong for the kind of film it was, but it does leave a lot of the FBI-politics-Mob drama and scope by the wayside. You could make an entirely different film from the same material (in all sorts of ways). DOR simply didn't want to get into the political/mob thriller route I presume.

I think the story got away from him. It's a very awkward movie. The actors are entertaining (and bless Bale for a complete lack of ego), but the whole thing is a mess. Edited by Telemachos

Russell re-wrote JLaw's character after her award run last year. The original role was very tiny and JLaw wasn't even going to do it initially. I think that screwed up the script somewhat as the original script revolved completely around Bale/Adams' characters.

One thing about American Hustle that just bugged me the entire movie was when

Adams and Bale 'broke up' and Adams hooked up with Cooper and Bale turned into a 3rd wheel. It made the scenes with Bale, Adams, and Cooper feel a little awkward because its two dudes thats "fighting" for the same girl, yet they shrug it off for abscam, then pick it up in the off-time.

I don't know, maybe I read it wrong, but imo it just threw off the chemistry a weee bit. Otherwise the movie was boss, but that whole subplot couldve been axed imo. Why all the

love quadrilaterals?

Edited by Jandrew

One thing about American Hustle that just bugged me the entire movie was when

Adams and Bale 'broke up' and Adams hooked up with Cooper and Bale turned into a 3rd wheel. It made the scenes with Bale, Adams, and Cooper feel a little awkward because its two dudes thats "fighting" for the same girl, yet they shrug it off for abscam, then pick it up in the off-time.

I don't know, maybe I read it wrong, but imo it just threw off the chemistry a weee bit. Otherwise the movie was boss, but that whole subplot couldve been axed imo. Why all the

love quadrilaterals?

Adams tells Bale very early on that

She is going to fake being in love with Cooper in order to keep Cooper off-balance and more susceptible to following her lead, to give her and Bale an inside advantage in getting out of their pickle. Bale's reactions through most of the movie are a mix of him playing the role of jealous third-wheel and legitimately unsure if Adams was still just playing a part or actually partnering with Cooper to just save herself. However once the scene where Adams clocks Cooper with the picture happens, it becomes clear that she's just playing the role in the conning of Cooper.

Adams tells Bale very early on that 

She is going to fake being in love with Cooper in order to keep Cooper off-balance and more susceptible to following her lead, to give her and Bale an inside advantage in getting out of their pickle. Bale's reactions through most of the movie are a mix of him playing the role of jealous third-wheel and legitimately unsure if Adams was still just playing a part or actually partnering with Cooper to just save herself. However once the scene where Adams clocks Cooper with the picture happens, it becomes clear that she's just playing the role in the conning of Cooper.

Ah. Yeah I remember her telling him that, but I guess it was never clear to me if

she actually started falling for Cooper then got over it, or if she was still faking the whole time.

I was basically feeling like Bale in my seat, but that makes the picture alot clearer. Thanks for clesring that up.