baumer

August: Osage County (2013)

23 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

LOL reviews of Meryl in Sausage County are hilarious.

"If she were a Batman villain, she'd be called The Actress."

"all of whom proceed to poke at or ignore one another when they're not pouring all their energy into avoiding Streep's Eye of Sauron at the head of the dinner table."

"Some of her fellow actors are resourceful enough to reconstruct themselves after being obliterated."

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 7

Looking at Streep's IMDB, she must be one of the most acclaimed actors to never star in a universally accepted-as-a-classic movie. Maybe Kramer vs Kramer if you were feeling generous.

The Deer Hunter is a classic movie? (I don't know why it wouldn't be. It's socially relevant, masterfully made, critically acclaimed, historically significant and all that jazz.) 

And i've been away on Vacation since the 24th so yeah, I haven't had time to post here yet. BUT SHE IS AMAZING. THIS IS ONE OF THE ALL TIME GREATEST STREEP PERFORMANCES. Oh my god she is fantastic. I mean the way she just destroys everything in her path, as her character does, is just masterful. She's just the epitome of perfection though admittedly it isn't my favourite of the year. It's a bit like 2006 with the Devil Wears Prada in which Streep gave a perfect performance but something else beyond divine comes along which in 2006 was Helen Mirren in The Queen. (now that might just be one of the top 5 greatest female lead performances ever along with Sophie (Streep), Norma (Swanson), Anne (Riva), and Erika (Huppert).)  

Everyone else is just wrong. :P

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 4

A very frustrating film. There's elements of great scenes and performances from Streep, Roberts and Martindale, but none of them blend together and the whole endeavor never feels like a movie. There's a ton of BIG scenes with IMPORTANCE and MELANCHOLY but my guess is that this play never should have been adapted into a movie. It's just suffocating.

• Like 1

The Deer Hunter is a classic movie? (I don't know why it wouldn't be. It's socially relevant, masterfully made, critically acclaimed, historically significant and all that jazz.)

I liked the Deer Hunter, and some love it, but I get the impression it isn't considered to have held up as well as some of its contemporaries. Almost everyone agrees that it's far too long.

It's okay. Nothing too memorable but nothing to get upset over either. I'm sure it's a riot on stage but it doesn't really come across here. Liked Roberts and a few other actors. 

3/5

Edited by Jack Nevada