Neo

Despicable Me 3 | June 30, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 9

4 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Exactly. ?

I mean..they underestimated Pets & Sing. So i don't see why this will be different, box office-wise.

Although I can see sub $300M domestic, thinking $105M/$320M. Minions wasn't the most loved Illumination film, and had legs a multiplier under 3. Pets and Sing benefited from less and weaker competition. DM3 has the bad will from Minions, Spider-Man: Homecoming which we know will definitely attract kids. It also opens after a barrage of family films or films that can appeal to families like Wonder Woman, Captain Underpants, Cars 3, and Transformers 5.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Although I can see sub $300M domestic, thinking $105M/$320M. Minions wasn't the most loved Illumination film, and had legs a multiplier under 3. Pets and Sing benefited from less and weaker competition. DM3 has the bad will from Minions, Spider-Man: Homecoming which we know will definitely attract kids. It also opens after a barrage of family films or films that can appeal to families like Wonder Woman, Captain Underpants, Cars 3, and Transformers 5.

True.

But here is why i don't think DM3 will drop too much from Minions. As mediocre the WOM was for Minions....that is a spinoff/prequel. So it was kinda inevitable since the Minions themselves, wouldn't be that charming to some people by themselves to carry the whole movie. And DM3 will act more like a direct sequel to DM2, since there are people that do like continuity in films.

Also....the Minions themselves work better when they are with Gru. That is one of the strengths with the DM-films.

Also...it could be one of the better-received animated threequels. Remember what Toy Story 3, Kung Fu Panda 3 & Madagascar 3 did right in terms of reception. I wouldn't be surprised if DM3 ends in a similar league as those films, quality-wise.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

That's a horrible predictoon imo.  Both the other films had a 4.4X.  Why would this one suddenly drop to 3.6?

To be fair, DM2 opened on a Wednesday. I think it'll get over a 3x, but legs will be closer to Minions (which did about 2.9x) than DM1, I think.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

To be fair, DM2 opened on a Wednesday. I think it'll get over a 3x, but legs will be closer to Minions (which did about 2.9x) than DM1, I think.

Forgot about the Wednesday opening.  Regardless, I don't see DM3 finishing below 300.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

Me neither. I think 105/330 sounds about right.

I think that's what I put in the summer game.

My summer game prediction was 110/320 (2.9x), but I could see it getting slightly better legs (3.05-3.1x) because (outside of Homecoming), since it's the first movie aimed at kids since a month prior.

• Like 1

Despicable Me 3 OW - $115 Million

2nd Weekend - $54 Million (-53%) Total: $222 Million

3rd weekend - $28 Million (-48%) Total: $273 Million

4th Weekend: $16.25 Million (-42%) Total: $302.25 Million

5th Weekend: $10.15 Million (-37.5%) Total: $320.40 Million

RT Prediction: 57%

Domestic Total: $355 Million (3.08695652 X)

Worldwide Prediction: $1.055 Billion

• Like 1