The Stingray

Top 25 'Best Picture' Winners of All Time | DEADLINE: Jan 15, 2014

Just saw this will try and get a list in tonight. For all you young ones that are yipping about certain films era and age have a lot to do with it. Terms of Endearement is not a movie aimed at the under 25 set so I fail to understand the loathing for it. It's like ranting about how terrible xxx animated film is because it's aimed for 4 year olds and you are an adult. Not every film has to be entertaining to all people to be best in show otherwise ROTK/NCfOM and others of that ilk wouldn't have won.

1.One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest

2.Schindler's List

3.Casablanca

4.Bridge on the River Kwai

5.The Godfather

6.No Country For Old Men

7.Lawrence of Arabia

8.The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

9.The Departed

10.Silence of the Lambs

11.Annie Hall

12.Amadeus

13.Unforgiven

14.The Deer Hunter

15.The Last Emperor

16.On the Waterfront

17.American Beauty

18.Million Dollar Baby

19.The Hurt Locker

20.Gone With the Wind

21.The Artist

22.All About Eve

23.In the Heat of the Night

24.Platoon

25.Driving Miss Daisy

Worst 5

1.How Green Was My Valley - Took the Oscar from Citizen Kane

2.Out of Africa

3.Forrest Gump

4.Titanic

5.Shakespeare In Love

1.One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest2.Schindler's List3.Casablanca4.Bridge on the River Kwai5.The Godfather6.No Country For Old Men7.Lawrence of Arabia8.The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King9.The Departed10.Silence of the Lambs11.Annie Hall12.Amadeus13.Unforgiven14.The Deer Hunter15.The Last Emperor16.On the Waterfront17.American Beauty18.Million Dollar Baby19.The Hurt Locker20.Gone With the Wind21.The Artist22.All About Eve23.In the Heat of the Night24.Platoon25.Driving Miss DaisyWorst 51.How Green Was My Valley - Took the Oscar from Citizen Kane2.Out of Africa3.Forrest Gump4.Titanic5.Shakespeare In Love

If Citizen Kane had one maybe it wouldn't be the revered load of crap that it is today.....

Here's mine:

[*]The Godfather [*]The Godfather Part II [*]One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest [*]Annie Hall [*]The Departed [*]Forrest Gump [*]The Sting [*]American Beauty [*]Unforgiven [*]All About Eve [*]The Silence of the Lambs [*]Casablanca [*]Rocky [*]Titanic [*]Kramer vs. Kramer [*]Rebecca [*]Midnight Cowboy [*]The Deer Hunter [*]Slumdog Millionaire [*]The King's Speech [*]The Artist [*]Schindler’s List [*]Gandhi [*]A Beautiful Mind [*]Rain Man

and These are the Worst:

[*]The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King [*]Chicago [*]Driving Miss Daisy [*]Out of Africa [*]The Hurt Locker

Just a reminder.

riczhang, Ozymandias, 4815162342, and 33Legend haven't done their 'top 5 worst best picture winners'. Now you don't have to do it, but it'd be fun if you did. :)

1. The Artist

2. Crash

3. Chicago

4. Shakespeare in Love

5. The King's Speech

• Like 2

Yo, to whom it may concern: Would it be alright to move the deadline from the 17th to the 15th? That way I could probably do the reveal next weekend. However, if that presents a problem to anyone, this post will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Can I submit my list of 9 or not.

1. Schindler's List

2. No Country for Old Men 

3. The Godfather

4. Casablanca 

5. Annie hall 

6. Lawrence of Arabia 

7. West Side Story

8. The Godfather part 2

9. The Apartment 

10. One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest 

11. The Silence of the Lambs 

12. Titanic 

13. The Return of the King

14. The deer Hunter 

15. A Beautiful Mind 

16. All about Eve

17. Gone with the Wind 

18. The Sound of Music 

19. The departed

20. The Unforgiven 

21. On the Waterfront 

22. The bridge on the River Kwai 

23. Forrest Gump 

24. My fair Lady 

25. Amadeus 

I've only seen around 35 BP winners so I just had to pick 25 from those and rank them. 

• Like 1

Alright. Some of these might not be in order after say ten I might prefer film 24 over 12 depending on my mood but here goes1. The Godfather2. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest3. Lawrence of Arabia4. Bridge on the River Kwai5. Return of the King6. On the Waterfront7. The Departed8. Patton9. The Godfather II10. Silence of the Lambs11. Braveheart12. Forrest Gump13. Gladiator14. Argo15. Titanic16. No Country for Old Men17. West Side Story18. Rain Man19. Platoon20. A Man for All Seasons21. Amadeus22. Gandhi23. Chariots of Fire24. Casablanca25. The French Connection.Just missed-Rocky, the King's Speech, Unforgiven, Schindler's ListAnd bottom five and I'm going to throw a caveat and list the film I think should have won in parentheses1. Out of Africa (Witness)2. Chicago (The Two Towers)3. Annie Hall(Star Wars)4. Crash (Munich)5. Driving Miss Daisy (Born on the Fourth of July)-DMD is actually a sweet and lovely movie but BO4thJul is a masterpiece and still is Cruise's best performance.

• Like 1

Only 1 day left yo! Get them lists in. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Jake, dexter and baumer. And baumer, I know you think you're like royalty up in here but the same rules must apply to you. Without rules, there is anarchy (99).

Edited by The Abominable Stingray

5 of my top 10 favorite movies of all-time have won Best Picture.  Here are my favorites:

Posted Image

Bottom of the list:

Posted Image

Oscars had two bad periods.  They were obsessed with gigantic musicals/spectacle movies in the 1950s into the 1960s; rarely were any of them good movies.  And there was also a  series of turkeys that won Best Picture in the 1920s into the early 1930s.  Broadway Melody was a bad movie that won because it was a talkie.  Chicago, hearkening back to the terrible string of musicals that won, somehow finds a way to be worse.

• Like 2

5 of my top 10 favorite movies of all-time have won Best Picture.  Here are my favorites:

Posted Image

Bottom of the list:

Posted Image

Oscars had two bad periods.  They were obsessed with gigantic musicals/spectacle movies in the 1950s into the 1960s; rarely were any of them good movies.  And there was also a  series of turkeys that won Best Picture in the 1920s into the early 1930s.  Broadway Melody was a bad movie that won because it was a talkie.  Chicago, hearkening back to the terrible string of musicals that won, somehow finds a way to be worse.

Agreed... Singin' in the Rain somehow managed to be the sole musical deserving of BP yet it wasn't even nominated. The Sound of Music deserved it for 1965 though and if Mary Poppins or Beauty and the Beast had won BP, I wouldn't have lost sleep either (Dr. Strangelove is more deserving for 1964 but 1991 was definitely up for grabs IMO - Lambs, JFK and BATB were all great)