LexJoker

Thursday #s (1/2) | FRZ 5.2, DOS 4, WOWS 2.7, AM2 2.6,AH 2.5(Rth)

So answer me this question, how can a man impersonating someone who's been dead long before actual voice recording existed?

Also I don't I've ever seen Lincoln be played with such a "weak voice".

There are writings from the period describing his voice. 

My point with "impersonating" is simply that it was, as Chica said, it was a restrained performance. There were no scenes of Lincoln singing while knocking over stuff or crying himself to sleep; it was just pretty static

Yup, and that's what made it pretty great.

He didn't need to do a "Meryl Streep" and scream his heart out.

Yup, and that's what made it pretty great.

He didn't need to do a "Meryl Streep" and scream his heart out.

Exactly, it was a subtle performance. I'm not arguing it shouldn't have won (even I don't think it should've won); I'm arguing that it was a subtle performance compared to Oscar whoring

• Like 1

My point with "impersonating" is simply that it was, as Chica said, it was a restrained performance. There were no scenes of Lincoln singing while knocking over stuff or crying himself to sleep; it was just pretty static

This just makes me think what could have been if during the movie, Lincoln just started singing Live and Let Die while cleaning up the White House, flailing his hair around. The rest of the movie would be completely serious and faithful in terms of depiction to the time period.

• Like 2

Not only at your showing

From an Academy screening:

"From people I talk to, there's this feeling that this guy is making movies for the here and now," an actor said, following the screening. "You look at 'The Fighter,' 'Silver Linings Playbook' and now this, and I think, in one way or another, they're all interested in exploring American society today. And they're all great. I think [Russell] has really earned his due. "Russell and actress Amy Adams were among the participants in a post-screening Q&A, but the loudest ovation of the night came for an actress not in the house at all -- Jennifer Lawrence. Playing the hilarious, half-crazy stay-at-home wife of Christian Bale's flimflam man, Lawrence delivers a big, brassy, risk-taking performance in "Hustle" that has wowed nearly everyone. Academy members applauded generously for each end-credits title card, but for Lawrence, they roared their approval."If she hadn't just won the Oscar last year, I'd say she'd be a sure thing," observed one voter, noting Lawrence's lead actress victory last year for Russell's "Silver Linings Playbook.""Even so, I wouldn't want to be competing against her," added another academy member. "['12 Years a Slave' actress] Lupita [Nyong'o] had better watch out....She clearly won a few votes last night at the Goldwyn.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/goldstandard/la-et-mn-american-hustle-academy-20131216,0,957166.story#axzz2ng8u3wGo

Yes, people saying JLaw could win Supporting Actress aren't just being Lawsbians--she's getting good reviews, critics' wins, nominations, reports that AMPAS members like her in AH. What more do people need to believe she's a player here?

Yep. Still bitter, lol.

She was the third most deserving nominee. But I'm not bitter. Chastain's winning in a few years and I like Jennifer Lawrence. Her performance is CF is actually better than the one in Silver Linings, though, which is interesting.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 3

I'd rather see a Turner and Hooch sequel, with Bruce Dern voicing the dog. Will Forte and Barkhad Abdi as the two kidnappers of Hooch.

Sequels to every forgettable Tom Hanks 80s movie with Bruce Dern?

The Money Pit 2 - Tom Hanks leaves Shelley Long for Bruce Dern and they fix up his old-ass house together

Splash 2 - Starts right where Captain Phillips left off as we see Hanks get over his recent trauma by falling in love with a mermaid played by Bruce Dern

Dragnet 2 - All I want out of this is a cover of this song with Bruce Dern and Tom Hanks now

• Like 3

The Money Pit 2 - Tom Hanks leaves Shelley Long for Bruce Dern and they fix up his old-ass house together

Splash 2 - Starts right where Captain Phillips left off as we see Hanks get over his recent trauma by falling in love with a mermaid played by Bruce Dern

Dragnet 2 - All I want out of this is a cover of this song with Bruce Dern and Tom Hanks now

Holy moly...yes.

YES.

YEEEEES!

Can we throw in Joe Versus the Volcano as well, with Bruce Dern replacing Meg Ryan?

• Like 1

Haven't laughed this hard at a post in a while. 

Yes, people saying JLaw could win Supporting Actress aren't just being Lawsbians--she's getting good reviews, critics' wins, nominations, reports that AMPAS members like her in AH. What more do people need to believe she's a player here?

I really don't know. It's quite perplexing. People here seem to have a very strong own opinion about her in the movie which is blindfolding them.

Exactly, it was a subtle performance. I'm not arguing it shouldn't have won (even I don't think it should've won); I'm arguing that it was a subtle performance compared to Oscar whoring

And that's why I'm happy he won.

It was also a great performance.

She was the third most deserving nominee. But I'm not bitter. Chastain's winning in a few years and I like Jennifer Lawrence. Her performance is CF is actually better than the one in Silver Linings, though, which is interesting.

Her CF performance is her best one yet IMO.
  • Like 2

JLaw in a Nolan movie. :bop:

Nolan's movies are technical works, they never really bring out more than just workable/decent performances.I haven't seen interstellar, but just from past experience with acting in Nolan movies id be willing to bet it gets no acting nominations in the 2015 oscars and no real love performance wise from critics awards either.The only truly great performance to come out of a Nolan movie was Heath Ledger, and he had the "benefit" oscar wise of being snubbed previously and the fact that he died (being honest here, that was what locked him for the Oscar).
  • Like 1

Her CF performance is her best one yet IMO.

It was good but I still think she's better in Silver Linings Playbook and Hustle. David O Russel has done a great job recently at pulling out strong, realistic performances.I am thinking though Lawrence might get another nom next year if Selena actually comes out.

Nolan's movies are technical works, they never really bring out more than just workable/decent performances.I haven't seen interstellar, but just from past experience with acting in Nolan movies id be willing to bet it gets no acting nominations in the 2015 oscars and no real love performance wise from critics awards either.The only truly great performance to come out of a Nolan movie was Heath Ledger, and he had the "benefit" oscar wise of being snubbed previously and the fact that he died (being honest here, that was what locked him for the Oscar).

I disagree here. I think Bale and Jackman do some of their best work in The Prestige and Guy Pearce is fantastic in Memento too.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2