Neo

War For The Planet Of The Apes | July 14, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 18

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I honestly believe that as well liked as Dawn was by many, it actually thinned the War audience. It was more dire, grim and bleak than Rise. Those that liked it, essentially loved it. But, others that maybe respected it, didn't really like it much. I think that's showing now. Rise was the most palatable to casual moviegoer. Dawn was excellent in the eyes of many but not as accessible as Rise. And, honestly, War strives to be mashup of art house war epics like Apocalypse Now and Schindler's List. It's very difficult for something like that to appeal on a wide scale.

Yep, I think War is probably going to have weaker legs than Dawn. The middle section of War is quiet and slow. Certainly very different from the usual large budget action movies. Probably will have a tough time with the general audience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I honestly believe that as well liked as Dawn was by many, it actually thinned the War audience. It was more dire, grim and bleak than Rise. Those that liked it, essentially loved it. But, others that maybe respected it, didn't really like it much. I think that's showing now. Rise was the most palatable to casual moviegoer. Dawn was excellent in the eyes of many but not as accessible as Rise. And, honestly, War strives to be mashup of art house war epics like Apocalypse Now and Schindler's List. It's very difficult for something like that to appeal on a wide scale.

I would actually have to agree with that. I know that my best friend liked both, but eventually over time grew to not like Dawn very much and considers Rise a much better movie. I personally love both and can't wait to see War.

• Like 1

But the visual effects people are mostly responsible for his performance. He doesn't deserve a nomination for doing some of the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They'll say what ever they want to hype up the film and his performance. But the visual effects people can change the emotional range of a performance through motion capture, by moving the eye brows in a certain way. So if Andy Serkis gets an Oscar nod, then so does the visual effects people who did most of the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, cax16 said:

I can't believe this is even being discussed. War has a 95% on RT with an average rating over 8 and this is what people are trying to spin. This is insanity to me. 

Just wanted to edit my post and say I'm sorry if my post came off as rude, it wasn't intended to sound like that . I understand that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, I just disagree, and hey you might be right. 

No problem.  I didn't take offense. :D    I'm dearly hoping you are right and WB cares more about the critical reception than the box office.   One could say they took that attitude when Nolan made his Batman movies and even stuck with it after BB made just 200 million.  He had only made 3 movies at that point and 67 million was his top grosser.  So maybe I'm worried about nothing.   But one of the reasons I was rooting for this one to do well at the BO was my desire to see Reeves' Batman done his way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

No problem.  I didn't take offense. :D    I'm dearly hoping you are right and WB cares more about the critical reception than the box office.   One could say they took that attitude when Nolan made his Batman movies and even stuck with it after BB made just 200 million.  He had only made 3 movies at that point and 67 million was his top grosser.  So maybe I'm worried about nothing.   But one of the reasons I was rooting for this one to do well at the BO was my desire to see Reeves' Batman done his way.

Good thing is I think WB feels like they need to hit the reset button. Wipe the slate clean. They will hopefully allow Reeves to make the movie he wants to make. If it turns out well, the potential is always there for huge numbers...it's Batman after all. :D

• Like 1

Have you guys discussed the ridiculous smear campaign on IMDb in the written user reviews? A bunch of people are posting what can only be agenda-driven 1-star reviews that make no sense and then marking each other's reviews as "useful" to keep them at the top. Actually really irksome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

46 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Have you guys discussed the ridiculous smear campaign on IMDb in the written user reviews? A bunch of people are posting what can only be agenda-driven 1-star reviews that make no sense and then marking each other's reviews as "useful" to keep them at the top. Actually really irksome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

must be nolanites

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

must be nolanites

My first thought (maybe the upvoter are), but reading the reviews it seem to be a bit of Anti-SJW, or people at the angry that they see as being anti-america, anti-military, anti-christian type of crowd, Spider-Man does not seem to be touch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

My first thought (maybe the upvoter are), but reading the reviews it seem to be a bit of Anti-SJW, or people at the angry that they see as being anti-america, anti-military, anti-christian type of crowd, Spider-Man does not seem to be touch.

Well thats funny because I never once felt like any of that was on the nose if it was even there at all

There is though one eye-rollingly stupid line I would've cut from the movie which was

Spoiler

"this is a holy war" 

Other than that no complaints here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Is it true that

Reveal hidden contents

in this movie ?

Spoiler

There is indeed a war, but there aren't huge, sweeping epic battle sequences outside of about 5-10 minutes toward the end of the movie.

Absolutely loved it. I have almost no flaws. Only thing I didn't care for was Bad Ape. He was funny, but kinda took you out of the moment.

Time to give Andy Serkis an Oscar. Harrelson was also great. And it was damn emotional. I choked up at least four times.

Have to say now that Planet of the Apes is my favorite film trilogy ever. Wow...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blankments said:

Final predict:

DOM: 159M

WW: 558M

would be happy with 550+ ww. hopefully the prod budget is closer to the reported 150 than 200 one would expect (as dawn's was reported at 170+).

seems war and the previous movies will rake in big auxiliary revenue for a long time due to the quality.

not to mention the thing studios covet the most, probably more than just one movie's box office : confidence to continue the the franchise thanks to trust from the audience.

16 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

I have a really strange question. When the Apes films are dubbed in overseas markets do the actors doing the dubbing use monkey voices? 

A bit similar (if you mean less vocabulary/slower pacing), specially bad monkey (1:30) that speak like in the original version, maybe Serkis caracther is a bit closer to regular human.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1