Her (2013)  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

If you want some interesting subtext, consider that Spike Jonze used to be married to Sophia Coppola... and then think about LOST IN TRANSLATION and HER.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/07/her-lost-in-translation_n_4555887.html

“Her” (which finally opens nationwide this week) depicts a romance between a sad sack named Theodore Twombly (Joaquin Phoenix) who falls in love with a highly advanced operating system named Samantha (voiced by Scarlett Johansson). It’s presented in a way that’s not only believable, but I am now convinced that this will happen in reality, if it hasn’t already (I’m not judging, I just can’t imagine Siri providing entertaining conversation beyond the second hour of the relationship -- directions to the nearest Fazoli’s, notwithstanding).

But, it’s difficult to ignore the connection between these two films.

Also, this movie is downright fantasy. Look at the LA subway map, it is a dream come true.

Posted Image

• Like 1

damn this movie exceeded my skyhigh expectations  :wub:

Cant wait to see on the big screen!

Too bad ScarJo will be dubbed  :angry:

Rooney is perfect! Adams is perfect! Joaquin is perfect! everyone is perfect!  life is perfect! lalala

this movie just stays with you. didnt want it to end

A damn near perfect little movie about the joy of falling in love, the loss of falling out of love, and the process of building and renewing deep friendships and finding soulmates.

A

What's weirder - how much Joaquin was in love with his operating system or how much I'm in love with this movie? It's Just Fucking Beautiful. A+

Couldn't agree more. DAMN this movie was sweet and sad, but great perfomance from all the cast. I like Amy Adams in this one more than AH.

• Like 4

I pretty much loved this movie too. It's both one of the funniest and most heartfelt films that came out last year. Every character is loaded with depth and very easy to relate to. Arcade Fire's beautiful score also helped to underscore the emotion.

I do have some problems, though: It abuses the R rating with some unnecessary crude humor (I'm not sure what the point of the foul-mouthed video game character was) and the ending was rushed. But I love the rest of the film so much that I'm still giving it an A

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Beautiful movie. Exactly what I expect and hope for after watching the first trailer. Bravo Spike Jonze.

Phoenix played the role perfectly. The facial expressions, the mannerisms, the ways he carried himself, had you feel for Theodore. Made the character seems real and genuine.

I have never really paid much attention or impressed Scarlett Johansson's voice; but she surprised me big time in this. Her voice performance just shines. 

Rooney Mara and Amy Adams were great too.

The plot about a man falling in love and engaged in a relationship with his OS is handled in a way that not only reflective and relevant to today's highly advanced technological society; but also provoking thoughts and drawing attention to other underlying themes. Simple yet complicated themes about love, friendship, loneliness, affection, and human relationships in general. 

The movie is sad but sweet, smart and funny. Good music and cinematography. And of course, great direction from Spike Jonze.

A+

• Like 6

I just finished watching It, and I'm going to abstain giving it a grade just yet... I simply didn't connect with the movie, but maybe it was because I watched it in 3 parts... Going to try and watch it all at once and then grade it.

I was completely floored by this. Theodore's relationship with Samantha is meaningful and real, as both Phoenix and Johansson hit it out of the park in their performances, especially with Johansson having the harder material to pull of.  It's not only a smart exploration of our modern obsession with technology, something which is a catalyst for isolation, joy, and interestingly enough, closer connections, in this film, but it truly acts as a powerful study of love, life, and happiness. The characters in this film find such in unique, bizarre, and perhaps off-putting manners, but Jonze makes everything seem so real and honest, simultaneously breaking and warming our hearts.

A beautiful exploration of the world we live in, and possibly my favorite movie of the year.

• Like 8

It was beautiful. Excellently shot, perfectly acted, providing a funny and sentimental exploration of the human relationship, exposing it in a manner that we're not used to seeing. A

Couldn't help but reflect on my introverted self while watching the movie.

• Like 7

When I saw this preview in front of "Dallas Buyers Club", my wife and I looked at each other audibly groaned. 

But... this SHOULD win Best Picture.  "12 Years a Slave" was a good and important film, but this film is the perfect marriage of an exploration of the human condition and a scathing commentary on our dependency on technology and social media.  I mean... hell... they were pretty much talking about what WE are doing right now... connecting with people through the internet. 

I LOVE this movie.  And will be watching it again as soon as I possibly can.

• Like 3

I don't think that "scathing" is the right word for it, as it sort of implies a more cynical and pessimistic view than what Jonze has created. The film does show problems of isolation that technology brings us, but more often than not, all of these people are trying to establish satisfying connections with others, using technology to do so. It's not so much about berating the tech-hungry people of today, but showing how we use technology to find happiness.

Still, I'm glad you liked it.