Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

Why do you guys care so much about sponsorship?  I've never understood why people get so hung up on.  

It's just funny when a company pays millions for the placement and yet back stage Ellen is using another companies product.  

^^ The NFL is really crazy about that sort of thing. Coaches and players not only can't wear competing athletic company gear, they can't even wear third-party non-athletic clothes.

For example, Mike Nolan wanted to wear a suit on the sidelines when he was the head coach of the Niners a few years back, as a way of respecting the position and his father (who was a head coach back in the day), as well as other famous coaches like Tom Landry who used to wear a suit on the sidelines. Nolan felt it was more respectable and snappier to wear a suit than your typical head coach wearing a polo shirt or hoodie or team jacket.

The NFL wouldn't let him do it. He finally made a deal with them that he could do it twice a year, but he could only wear a special suit custom-made by Nike.

• Like 1

^^ The NFL is really crazy about that sort of thing. Coaches and players not only can't wear competing athletic company gear, they can't even wear third-party non-athletic clothes.

For example, Mike Nolan wanted to wear a suit on the sidelines when he was the head coach of the Niners a few years back, as a way of respecting the position and his father (who was a head coach back in the day), as well as other famous coaches like Tom Landry who used to wear a suit on the sidelines. Nolan felt it was more respectable and snappier to wear a suit than your typical head coach wearing a polo shirt or hoodie or team jacket.

The NFL wouldn't let him do it. He finally made a deal with them that he could do it twice a year, but he could only wear a special suit custom-made by Nike.

NFL is definitely a bunch of uptight crazy dudes when it comes to attire.

• Like 3

Update: On ABC, The Oscars delivered a 12.9 adults 18-49 rating from 8:30-11:41PM, down 1 percent in adults 18-49 from last year's 13.0 final adults 18-49 rating, but up 7 percent  from the preliminary ratings for  last year's telecast.

• Like 1

There was a time when Hollywood and the Academy Awards recognized art that told true stories from a genuine place of understanding and caring, and it wasn't that long ago. In 1993, Schindler's List won Best Picture, and Tom Hanks gave this most awesomely sincere acceptance speech for Philadelphia. Do you think Steven Spielberg or Tom Hanks did either of these films in order to get an in with the Jews or gays? To make money? I don't think so. Schindler's Listand Philadelphia, like 12 Years a Slave, are works of art told for the purpose to entertain, inform, and provoke to engage. Dallas Buyers Club could have been that, but instead it just feels like the cool kids in high school got deep for a second and everyone is now losing their shit over it.

More Like Dallas 'Give Me an Oscar for Going Gay' Club

Leo should change his name to Ofer DiCaprio because he is ofer-5. To be fair, I think the characters he is playing are hurting his chance. His last three characters are all rich, narcissistic assholes and that's not a good look for someone who is perceived as a rich , narcissistic A-lister. Maybe he should play a depression era Oklahoma farmer next.

I dunno, maybe he's just not good enough? He is a very good actor, but he hasn't given any transcendant performances. Even when he tried to get out of his comfort zone as the goofball psycho plantation owner in Django Unchained, he still got shown up by awesome performances from Christoph Waltz and Samuel L. Jackson in the same film.

• Like 1

I dunno, maybe he's just not good enough? He is a very good actor, but he hasn't given any transcendant performances. Even when he tried to get out of his comfort zone as the goofball psycho plantation owner in Django Unchained, he still got shown up by awesome performances from Christoph Waltz and Samuel L. Jackson in the same film.

Exactly what is a transcendent performance? I mean, which performances would you classify as transcendent? I don't think Leo is perfect in every movie that he's in. He was outmatched in Django Unchained. But his performances in TWOWS, The Aviator, and The Departed were all amazing. I'm not saying he should have won this year, sadly I still have to see Matthew's performance in Dallas Buyer's Club, but I do think Leo's performance was perfect. Maybe not the best, but still perfect if it makes sense. 

Exactly what is a transcendent performance? I mean, which performances would you classify as transcendent?

Bardem in No Country. Waltz in Basterds. DDL in There Will Be Blood. Ledger in TDK. Pacino in the first two Godfather films. Hell, I can name quite a few performances from those two movies that were more deserving of an Oscar than anything Leo has done.

I don't disagree with you but I don't think McConaughey's performance was all that either. Maybe this is just an insider thing. Maybe MM campaigned harder while Leo didn't. Leo will have to want it before he will get it as he is seen as too successful and maybe too aloof compared to other actors in Hollywood.

Posted Image

People go on about Leo's 0 for 5 streak, but there are a lot of other actors who suffered a string of Oscar losses. Paul Newman, for instance, won after 6 losses over three decades. The year he finally took home the Oscar for Best Actor (The Color of Money) the Academy had decided that the poor man had suffered enough and voted to give him the Jean Hirscholt Humanitarian Award as a consolation prize. They anticipated sending Newman home empty-handed for a seventh time but he actually won. Oops!  :wacko:

• Like 1

I don't disagree with you but I don't think McConaughey's performance was all that either. Maybe this is just an insider thing. Maybe MM campaigned harder while Leo didn't. Leo will have to want it before he will get it as he is seen as too successful and maybe too aloof compared to other actors in Hollywood.

I can't comment on Dallas Buyers Club since I haven't seen it yet, but I don't think Leo has done anything as great as MM's performance in the True Detective show. That character is very well written and he brings it to life in a very convincing manner.