CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

43 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

If it's bad, then why would Illumination, which has never been to any fest, open it a full 3 months early? To kill its chances? 

Not buying it's bad. More optimistic now.

Plenty of bad movies open at festivals.

• Like 1

Deadline - Pete Hammond

And also among World Premieres will be Universal and Illumination’s animated holiday entry, Sing which I know Chris Meledandri is especially proud of and hopes to have in the Animated Feature race, already very crowded. By going to TIFF they are making a big statement with this one. The 20 minutes the studio showed at Cinemacon looked very promising. Oliver Stone’s excellent Snowden another Open Road film , is listed as a World Premiere  as well but

10 hours ago, Spaghetti said:

Was pretty surprised to discover that it's 110 minutes long, according to TIFF.

Ah, see that's what I was wondering. I just saw the newest trailer in the theater, and it was so long and showed so much I was led to believe it must be a longer film than the typical 90 min animation runtime. It also looks to me like the film could skew adult in some of its themes. Rocky and unfulfilling marriage with Mrs. Piggy, and teen from a bad background and criminal family business with gorilla boy. Will be interesting to see how a more mature Illumination film plays. I'm sure it will still do well regardless. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ah, see that's what I was wondering. I just saw the newest trailer in the theater, and it was so long and showed so much I was led to believe it must be a longer film than the typical 90 min animation runtime. It also looks to me like the film could skew adult in some of its themes. Rocky and unfulfilling marriage with Mrs. Piggy, and teen from a bad background and criminal family business with gorilla boy. Will be interesting to see how a more mature Illumination film plays. I'm sure it will still do well regardless. 

How much are you expecting for it? Am thinking 200m at the moment. But I think it has the potential to go higher esp after the TIFF announcement gave me more confidence about its potential quality. It will screen 3 months before release so that's a big confidence sign.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

How much are you expecting for it? Am thinking 200m at the moment. But I think it has the potential to go higher esp after the TIFF announcement gave me more confidence about its potential quality. It will screen 3 months before release so that's a big confidence sign.

My guess is that Rogue One, Passengers and Sing will all thrive since none of them share a significant audience. 

I Am Legend/National Treasure 2/Alvin is the best comparison for the three. The only difference being that November 2016 has three strong films (all three could do $200 million+ DOM) while November 2007 had a few mid-level hits... and that was it. 

Rogue One: $120 million/$425 million 

Passengers: $50 million ($75 million 5-day)/$270 million

Sing: $45 million ($65 million 5-day)/$225 million 

With good reviews/WOM and a solid late marketing effort by Illumination, it could go even higher IMO. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

This is the first Illumination release since DM1 that I don't have a set prediction or feel for gross. I'm pretty confident in it hitting at least 200 with their marketing behind it, but how close it gets to 300 or if it can actually break that mark I think will depend on just how big Moana and Rogue One are. Both are coming before it and both will have the family market, so fatigue could be a real problem here. Again though, less than 200 seems pretty unfathomable for Illumination at the moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

This is premiering at TIFF?

Put in the Best Picture race already. :jeb!:

Zootopia would get nominated for Best Picture before Sing :lol: 

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

This is the first Illumination release since DM1 that I don't have a set prediction or feel for gross. I'm pretty confident in it hitting at least 200 with their marketing behind it, but how close it gets to 300 or if it can actually break that mark I think will depend on just how big Moana and Rogue One are. Both are coming before it and both will have the family market, so fatigue could be a real problem here. Again though, less than 200 seems pretty unfathomable for Illumination at the moment. 

Kinda thinking November-December 2016 will be top-heavy. 6-7 big hits and everything else does decent enough. 

1. Rogue One: $445 million 
  2. Moana: $355 million 
  3. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: $295 million 
  4. Passengers: $285 million 
  5. Sing: $235 million 
  6. Doctor Strange: $200 million 
  7. La La Land: $145 million 
  8. Hacksaw Ridge: $115 million 
  9. Trolls: $110 million 
  10. Silence: $105 million 

Can't see all of that happening since that'd mean the entire top 12 DOM would be at $285 million+ DOM :huh: and I might be lowballing Sing depending on late marketing and WOM.