CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

34 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I think this looks like it could be great, so sue me :) My most anticipated movie of December Star Wars aside.

Seriously though, I think if this trailer had been made with the Pixar logo (and some more expensive animation) I feel like the feedback would be a lot more positive.

I really don't. Just look at the reaction to the trailers for FD and IO on this board. Many people called FD trailers annoying, and there were some users who were still in doubt ID's quality, before the reviews came in.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

SLoP spreads itself thin over several characters and while the story suffers for it, it manages to be a pretty energetic and joyful romp. I can see Sing being pretty much the same. Nothing earth shattering, but more charming and fun than initially expected. Illumination is becoming everything Dreamworks should have become.

Hey, keep Dreamworks out of this. It's Pixar that we need to replace.

172qkv.jpg

Wanna know why Illumination are the masters of animated marketing? Well, this movie is blatantly advertised IN Pets. Yep, that's how on it their team is. Seriously, I wanna know who runs their marketing division, because I sure hope they're well paid. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wanna know why Illumination are the masters of animated marketing? Well, this movie is blatantly advertised IN Pets. Yep, that's how on it their team is. Seriously, I wanna know who runs their marketing division, because I sure hope they're well paid. 

Nothing compared to Disney:

tDwQbrV.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Nothing compared to Disney:

tDwQbrV.png

That was more like a fun little easter egg though, almost blink and you could miss it. Pets on the other hand makes sure you can see the poster for Sing multiple times in one scene. And it doesn't have a clever spoof of its title either, it's literally just a big plug for Sing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

That was more like a fun little easter egg though, almost blink and you could miss it. Pets on the other hand makes sure you can see the poster for Sing multiple times in one scene. And it doesn't have a clever spoof of its title either, it's literally just a big plug for Sing. 

Wow. And a dog wears a minion suit too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

I think this looks like it could be great, so sue me :) My most anticipated movie of December Star Wars aside.

Seriously though, I think if this trailer had been made with the Pixar logo (and some more expensive animation) I feel like the feedback would be a lot more positive.

Well, yes and no. I don't think I'd like the trailer much better, but Pixar tends to have a lot more beneath the surface so I'd be more willing to give it the benefit of the doubt 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Goffe said:

the only difference between the two studios is that one is making successful movies while the other is not. their movies are practically the same when it comes to what they are trying to achieve and what they actually achieve in the end.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Nopes. When was the last time your breath was taken away by the visuals of a Dreamworks movie other than Dragon? Illumination's animation was vibrant before, but in SLoP it is downright gorgeous. And while Dreamworks movies kept getting lazier and obnoxious, Illumination films still have their own flair and characteristics (owing maybe to their strong European sensibilities?) and are more edgy than the more wholesome animated fare produced in America. Even their risque elements are more quirky and ballsy, like in Shreks 1-2, instead of latter DW. 

The only similarity is that both don't have characters as fleshed as Pixar and WDAS and story beats as emotional. But Illumination's characters are still refreshingly unique (even in stuff like Minions), and they have a better hang at being the "anti-Pixar" while DW became crass and directionless being the "anti-Disney". There were many instances where SLoP, like Despicable before it, teased going down the Pixar formula route, but chose not to and instead focus on its own thing in a satisfying and fun way.

TL;DR Illumination is trying and succeeding in bringing something new to the table and be a strong contemporary to Pixar/Disney, while Dreamworks seemed to just give up a long time ago.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

When was the last time your breath was taken away by the visuals of a Dreamworks movie other than Dragon? 

I was not a fan, but KFP3 got praises for its visuals.

• Like 1