CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

On 7/1/2016 at 7:17 AM, Spaghetti said:

This seems like the kind of project that could have been HUGE in, like, 2008. Still think it can do a DOM total around The Lorax, but if Moana lives up to the hype, and Rouge One does whatever it wants (It's STAR WARS; it's gonna attract kids no matter what), it does have a bit of competition, and I'm not sure how appealing this will be to kids.

Opening Weekend: $32m (3-day weekend)

Domestic Total: $215m

2008? Why?

4 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

2007-09 seemed like the peak of TV singing competitions, most notably American Idol. Yeah, they're still popular today, but they didn't nearly reach these levels in the past.

Oh, OK. I thought you were implying that talking animals were more popular 8 years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaghetti said:

I guess I'd also worry if they had to spread out the story over all of these characters and give them a somewhat compelling hook, it would be too much ground for the movie to give solid cover to.

SLoP spreads itself thin over several characters and while the story suffers for it, it manages to be a pretty energetic and joyful romp. I can see Sing being pretty much the same. Nothing earth shattering, but more charming and fun than initially expected. Illumination is becoming everything Dreamworks should have become.

• Like 1

Illumination is becoming everything Dreamworks should have become.

the only difference between the two studios is that one is making successful movies while the other is not. their movies are practically the same when it comes to what they are trying to achieve and what they actually achieve in the end.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mrqe93 said:

So, which animal do you think is going to win? 

The Seth MacFarlane mouse is going to win because he's conniving. But you know, that's ok, because everyone will get their chance to shine. Quote me on this in 5 months.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Seth MacFarlane mouse is going to win because he's conniving. But you know, that's ok, because everyone will get their chance to shine. Quote me on this in 5 months.

taron egerton gonna be the runner up

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Then everyone has to work together to stop him, then they all find happy endings.

• Like 1

Subtracting Star Wars TFA, or only counting it as 651 million for 2015...

This movie will assure Scarlett Johansson as the record for most money earned by movies starring a certain actress in a year!

Hail, Caesar!

Jungle Book

Civil War

Sing

though that will be behind the record for most money earned by movies starring a certain actor in a year...

Idris Elba:

Zootopia

Jungle Book

Finding Dory

Star Trek Beyond

Ben Affleck wishes he did voice acting, but will he set the record for most money earned in live action movies by an actor in a year?

BvS:DoJ

Suicide Squad

The Accountant

• Like 1

It looks OK but nothing special. Most of the songs were popular years ago. I think the closest one was the Katty Perry song. 

Im sure it will do fine but this isn't hurting RO in anyway. Wait till that 3 min trailer drops on the 15th. Hypes gonna explode!  

I think this looks like it could be great, so sue me :) My most anticipated movie of December Star Wars aside.

Seriously though, I think if this trailer had been made with the Pixar logo (and some more expensive animation) I feel like the feedback would be a lot more positive.

• Like 3