CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

I'm starting to think Sing will be the 2nd largest Holiday 2016 release. A well-rounded line-up, but Sing could potentially do $370-420 million DOM if it lives up to the TIFF buzz. 

1. Rogue One: $440 million
  2. Sing: $355 million
  3. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: $310 million
  4. Moana: $265 million
  5. Doctor Strange: $215 million
  6. Passengers: $180 million
  7. Trolls: $165 million
  8. La La Land: $150 million
  9. Fences: $115 million
  10. Arrival: $105 million  
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Giesi said:

Honestly, I just want Moana to beat the shit out of this movie. Does it make me a bad person?

Not really......but i think both will generally do huge on their own. It all comes to if they breakout on OW, before getting to over $300M+ DOM.

Then again, Pets beat out Zootopia, DOM-wise...so it's no big deal. Finding Dory is still the #1 animated winner this year, though.

What's the sudden reason people are considering 350-400m for this domestically? I must be missing something. I am a huge Illumination fan and having seen the first 20 min of SING, I really liked it. But I don't think 400m DOM will be easy at all. It will be very hard because of the time of release. But then, mahnamhana is an excellent predictor (and so is movieman and cannonstop) so you guys are letting me change my mind!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MinaTakla said:

What's the sudden reason people are considering 350-400m for this domestically? I must be missing something. I am a huge Illumination fan and having seen the first 20 min of SING, I really liked it. But I don't think 400m DOM will be easy at all. It will be very hard because of the time of release. But then, mahnamhana is an excellent predictor (and so is movieman and cannonstop) so you guys are letting me change my mind!

PG9pIHM.gif

In my mind, Sing has a 15% chance of getting to $400m. About half as likely as Trump winning the election.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

For me, the mixed buzz for Moana and Rogue One possibly being so-so could make Sing (a feel-good, all-ages musical at Christmastime) a solid hit. 

It has less competition than Pets, too. It doesn't have a serious competitor until A Dog's Purpose. Pets had Dory, IA5, Pete's Dragon and Kubo to contend with. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, cannastop said:

PG9pIHM.gif

In my mind, Sing has a 15% chance of getting to $400m. About half as likely as Trump winning the election.

Hey, cubbies won the world series, Trump won the election. next we knowill this doubles the dom of Moana and Assassin's creed buries rogue one.

1 hour ago, RandomJC said:

Hey, cubbies won the world series, Trump won the election. next we knowill this doubles the dom of Moana and Assassin's creed buries rogue one.

AC being a massive hit would be a big positive for video game adaptations though.

Competition is a good thing. Competition evolving the animation industry for the better. The variation of different animated flicks is better now than ever. For every Pixar/Dreamworks-ripoff, there are innovative flicks which will inspire for the future.

Edited by SwedishFailturez
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

Well I dunno about that, but thanks for the flattery. :lol: I have seemed to have had a knack for predicting all of Illumination's films though, but at this point that's starting to get easy to do (just go a solid 75-100m higher than the average prediction and bingo lol). I'm basically in cannastop's 15% chance it hits 400 camp. 325 if my official prediction atm, but if it gets great reviews I think 350 is more likely. 400 will definitely be hard no matter what, but if both Moana and RO disappoint then I can see it happening. 

• Like 2