CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

So I saw this FYC ad today:

OIthYMe.jpg

The quote caught my attention. Is it common to use a quote on FYC ads that is credited to a website rather than to a specific critic or writer? For what it's worth, I can't even find that quote on IMDb. (Although it's possible I don't know where to look. Thought IMDb only had user reviews.)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

OIthYMe.jpg

The quote caught my attention. Is it common to use a quote on FYC ads that is credited to a website rather than to a specific critic or writer? For what it's worth, I can't even find that quote on IMDb. (Although it's possible I don't know where to look. Thought IMDb only had user reviews.)

It's either Keith Simanton (which would explain why he's predicting it to win at the Oscars) or a random user. Either way, it's funny as hell :rofl: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

OIthYMe.jpg

IMDb? Wow... might as well just use Twitter reactions.

Edited by elcaballero
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Jason said:

OIthYMe.jpg

How much would you like to bet that quote came from someone inside the studio on their lunch break.

• Like 3

On 2016/12/14 at 10:09 AM, Jonwo said:

Illumination don't have a hope at winning at the Oscars against much stronger competition from Zootopia, Moana, Your Name etc 

Your Name has less chance to nominate.funimation is too weak to do Oscar campaign.But YN deserves a nomination.It's one of best animations of the year

Sing?Best song is a right choice.illumination also don't care much about Oscar.Sing Already has two golden globe nomination,including best animated feature.That's enough.

Edited by bangbingchan

11 minutes ago, bangbingchan said:

Your Name has less chance to nominate.funimation is too weak to do Oscar campaign.

Strength of an Oscar campaign is likely less important than for other nominations because the Animation Branch rules for nomination require that all submitted films be assigned a rating, and that the highest-rated films are placed for nomination. Also, members participating in the nomination process must have watched at least two-thirds of the submissions.

It's possible that fewer of the Animation Branch members will have watched Your Name compared to Sing given Funimation's lack of a campaign, but there is absolutely no way they are going to assign Sing a higher rating than Your Name.

In fact, there's no way Sing is going to be among the Animation Branch's top five most highly rated submissions, so its chances of a nomination are zero.

• Like 3

David Ehrlich hated this. He sounds pressed though, knowing its going to make a shitload of money.

So hear this: “Sing” is a film that’s designed to placate children rather than enrich or inspire them. Illumination’s target audience may be too young to know how awful their latest movie is, but they’ll never watch it when they grow older, they’ll never cherish it as a source of nostalgia. They’ll simply grow up expecting less of the movies, less of the world around them, and less of themselves. No big deal.

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/12/sing-review-matthew-mcconaughey-illumination-1201728515/

Edited by babz06
  • Like 2

On 12/13/2016 at 7:12 PM, Jason said:

OIthYMe.jpg

Lolololol, that's one of the most sad FYC posters I've ever seen.

• Like 3

I think Ehrlich's a bit of a hardass but his review definitely reads as a reflection of my feelings on Illumination, and nothing he said about this movie sounded the least bit surprising.

Might just be me but it feels like buzz has kind of flamed out for this. I don't know if maybe less than enthusiastic reactions to the November screenings hurt, but it feels like Moana and Rogue One are lapping up the attention

• Like 2