Impact

2014 Best Picture Prediction thread!

IFC are gonna be spending A LOT on oscar campaigning for Boyhood. Way more than they spent actually making the movie. They've already hired the woman who managed the oscar campaign for The Hurt Locker, No Country, Crash, The Departed etc.

Boyhood not nominated for BP would be ridiculous - even for the Academy.

Interstellar has a high chance of sweeping the technical categories. If it is well received it will be tough for any movie to compete in categories such as effects, sound editing/mixing, cinematography, etc. It will probably also be a major contender for design and with Zimmer score is also a strong candidate.

Not sure about categories such as director, screenplay and BP. It will need to be received very well to be nominated for those, let alone win one of them. The only thing the trailers confirmed so far - imho - is that on a technical level the movie should be great. The story... very unsure.

• Like 1

You have to consider the competition, though. This year already has one of the most critically acclaimed films of the past 20 years.

Boyhood will get nominated, but IFC probably doesn't have enough power to get the film to a BP win. A nod seems a lock though. 

Interstellar's biggest competition is Unbroken, Birdman, and The Imitation Game. Two of those don't seem like BP winners to me while Unbroken seems like a good candidate, especially with Jolie directing. 

All depends on how Interstellar is received (for acting and screenplay) 

• Like 1

Unbroken will have its world premiere in Australia on November 17th.

This is significant, I think, because despite the fact it's not screening any festivals etc it will be seen a full month before its release. Not that anyone expected this to be a dud, but it shows confidence and hopefully we'll start getting reviews then.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/angelina-jolies-unbroken-world-premiere-739475

Hope GG gets in.

Haven't seen Gone Girl, but from what I've heard, it's not really Oscar-friendly. Fincher's overdue for an Oscar just like Nolan and Linklater, so I'd love to see any of those three win BD. 

I'm expecting a lot of nods for GG (BP, BD, Rosamund Pike for Actress, Adapted Screenplay, probably Cinematography, Editing, Sound categories) but not sure about wins. 

Still have to see the other contenders first (namely how well Birdman and Imitation Game do) 

• Like 1

Haven't seen Gone Girl, but from what I've heard, it's not really Oscar-friendly. Fincher's overdue for an Oscar just like Nolan and Linklater, so I'd love to see any of those three win BD. 

I'm expecting a lot of nods for GG (BP, BD, Rosamund Pike for Actress, Adapted Screenplay, probably Cinematography, Editing, Sound categories) but not sure about wins. 

Still have to see the other contenders first (namely how well Birdman and Imitation Game do) 

Oh, I know it isn't.

More reason why I want it to get in, but I know there isn't a good chance because The Academy is wack.

• Like 2

I think people have too many pre conceived ideas about what an AMPAS friendly movie is.

Every now and then , they give nominations for movies or roles that are far from the conventionnal AMPAS tastes.

The problem for Gone Girl is that there are 3 big movies , selma, unbroken and american sniper that are coming very late in the race ...

• Like 3

all 3 are locks - selma, american sniper and unbroken. all 3 are perfect for oscars being period dramas.

this category has a limit of 10, and its likely we'll see 10 picture nominees this year.

Edited by Halba
  • Like 1

all 3 are locks - selma, american sniper and unbroken. all 3 are perfect for oscars being period dramas.

this category has a limit of 10, and its likely we'll see 10 picture nominees this year.

None of those are locks until they are actually screened.

Boyhood will be nominated, but I'd bet money it won't win despite the early odds in its favor. It's just not the kind of movie I can see the Academy really going for, especially with half a dozen major Oscar baiting films in contention this year. At best Linklater will get Director and BP will be different for the third year in a row. Though that seems unlikely too.

• Like 3

Eastwood's track record since Gran Torino has been abysmal even with his Oscar baiting films (J Edgar), so I certainly would hold off on calling anything by him an Oscar contender right now before it comes out.  Especially since even Changeling and Gran Torino were ignored despite actually being good movies.

Edited by MovieMan89

Eastwood's track record since Gran Torino has been abysmal even with his Oscar baiting films (J Edgar), so I certainly would hold off on calling anything by him an Oscar contender right now before it comes out.  Especially since even Changeling and Gran Torino were ignored despite actually being good movies.

this actually looks like an amazing movie. from the trailer.also war film, is eastwood is familiar with war films, see letters of iwo jima and how brilliant it is. that got a nomination. so strong odds for sniper imho.

Edited by Halba

Boyhood will be nominated, but I'd bet money it won't win despite the early odds in its favor. It's just not the kind of movie I can see the Academy really going for, especially with half a dozen major Oscar baiting films in contention this year. At best Linklater will get Director and BP will be different for the third year in a row. Though that seems unlikely too.

I really doubt there'll be another BD/BP split, but it may be more likely than Linklater winning.  That's kind of sad though considering Boyhood definitely deserves a BP win.

• Like 2