Impact

2014 Best Picture Prediction thread!

Tapley says that a lot of TIFF attendees loved The Theory of Everything. I think either that, Foxcatcher, or Imitation Game may end up winning the Peoples Choice Award, unless it's a repeat of 2011 and some foreign Underdog wins.

Edited by Spaghetti

I'm feeling another 9-nominee year:

Birdman

Boyhood

Foxcatcher

The Imitation Game

The Theory of Everything.

I'm guessing the other four are films not yet seen:

Gone Girl

Fury

Interstellar

Unbroken

If there's 10, I'll say it's Selma.

Edited by RichWS
  • Like 1

Movies that can be taken into consideration now (for noms in general, in order of likelihood)

Boyhood

Foxcatcher

Birdman

The Imitation Game

Mr. Turner

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Fault in Our Stars

The Theory of Everything

Wild

Rosewater

Belle

Chef

Whiplash

Movies we still need to see (but good contenders)

Gone Girl

Interstellar

Unbroken

Fury

Trash

Inherent Vice

Into the Woods

Big Eyes

A Most Violent Year

Selma

Exodus: Gods and Kings

American Sniper

Movies We Can Now Count Out

St Vincent

Laggies

The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby

The Judge

Men, Women, and Children

The Homesman

• Like 1

I'm feeling another 9-nominee year:

Birdman

Boyhood

Foxcatcher

The Imitation Game

The Theory of Everything.

I'm guessing the other four are films not yet seen:

Gone Girl

Fury American Sniper

Interstellar

Unbroken

If there's 10, I'll say it's Selma.

Actually, I'll swap Fury out for American Sniper. It's gonna be Warners' big play.

• Like 1

Movies that can be taken into consideration now (for noms in general, in order of likelihood)

Boyhood

Foxcatcher

Birdman

The Imitation Game

Mr. Turner

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Fault in Our Stars

The Theory of Everything

Wild

Rosewater

Belle

Chef

Whiplash

LOL you can take The Fault In Our Stars out of that list. It's chances of it getting a Best Picture are as high as Neighbors doing so.

The Imitation Game, The Imitation Game, The Imitation Game. That's the only thing I can say. Wow. I can confidently say that it is the BP frontrunner at this point, far and away. Totally blown away and I'm completely speechless. I walked out of the Ryerson Theatre at about 8:40pm and 4 hours later, I am still reflecting and reeling. 

But in all honesty, having seen all of the other contenders out, except for Birdman, I cannot see anything coming close to this. Boyhood is genius, but it lacks the emotional impact and it came out too long ago. And nothing recent I've seen at TIFF, The Theory of Everything (Great but not TIG), Mommy, Foxcatcher, Wild, Mr. Turner, Clouds, etc. has come close. I was super upset that I wasn't about to see Imitation Game just because of how scheduling worked and etc, but I saw it won today and decided spontaneously to go line up at Ryerson for 4-5 hours to wait for tickets and even longer to get in and I totally don't regret it. (Also the fire alarm totally made it memorable :P

But seriously, I cannot see any other movie carrying the emotional impact, the craft in directing, acting, design, scripting (which is wildly witty, hilarious, sharp and just pure joy), and the subject matter. I know this sounds a bit crazy, but you honestly have to go to screening to understand; there was something about the screening that wasn't there for others, even though there was no big standing ovation. I think maybe the only thing that could overshadow this is Unbroken. I can't see Gone Girl or American Sniper or Into the Woods or what other silly things coming out ever getting close to this. This is truly special. 

• Like 4