Fake

The International Box Office Discussion Thread

Would 10 be considered a warm winters day?The coldest it's ever been for me in my area was one night when it hit minus 2.... It was fucking freezing and I couldn't sleep.

10 would be mild for winter. On average the max during the day is like 5 degrees and at night around freezing or below. During a cold snap though, temperatures may not even get above 0 at all for a long period of time.14 degrees! Come on. That's not cold at all. :lol:

Considering there's been a heatwave, MIB3 did decently in the UK and the Bank Holiday weekend plus half term will soften the drop next week, Prometheus will easily be number 1 followed by Snow White thanks to its five day opening.

It's been 28 all week here. Places even in Scotland got near 30. Quite a shock to the system since we had like the coldest and wettest spring for years.

So? That's nothing try a heat wave of 10 days at 40+ degrees and sometimes reaching 45 to 48

Yeah, no offense to the Europeans, but you guys pussy out on rather mild weather. Spanish people take the heat very well, but I couldn't help but roll my eyes when I read that people were going to the hospital when the temperature hit 33 degrees?SERIOUSLY?

Edited by Noctis

Why do the estimates from China end up so much lower than reported? What is the source from China?

The $20.6M is studio (Sony) report, which is always reported via THR/SD/etc Sunday midnight, and the sudios get the data from Chinese distributors, which is initially given by SARFT. The government decides everything, like how many box office can be reported... They have the real/more accurate numbers but always they give much lower ones. Edited by firedeep

The $20.6M is studio (Sony) report, which is always reported via THR/SD/etc Sunday midnight, and the sudios get the data from Chinese distributors, which is initially given by SARFT. The government decides everything, like how many box office can be reported... They have the real/more accurate numbers but always they give much lower ones.

So if the government gives the more accurate and lower numbers how come Sony's number is lower?

I completely understand where you're coming from.It's just funny when it's considered a heat wave and it's not even 30 degrees... Now please don't make fun of me when I complain that it's 5-10 degrees :(

30 degrees are not considered a heatwave here. When it's warm or hot in Europe people just prefer to be outside, having a grill party or go swimming or whatsover.And let's not forget we had the European Song Contest on Saturday, one of the biggest TV events in Europe besides soccer championships. 120 mio people or so watch the ESC every year. Edited by pinocchio

So if the government gives the more accurate and lower numbers how come Sony's number is lower?

You mean the number $24m ? That is the number estimated according to online ticket sale, which is usually lower than actual number but higher than the official revised number (the Tuesday number, which will be again higher than the Sunday studio number.)

In short:

A. Sunday studio number, aka Chinese official Sunday estimates

< B. Tuesday studio revised number, the final one will be used by BOM or SD(on Thursday)

< C. Tuesday Chinese official revised number, the SARFT (State Administration of Radio, Film and Television) number, the one we use on the first page of this thread

< D. firedeep/BO forums members from China Sunday number according to online ticket sale or CFDEA (CHINA FILM DISTRIBUTION AND EXHIBITION ASSOCIATION)

< E. actual/real number

Usually, the gap between A and B is at least 2M but it could go much higher, like Titanic 3D (about 10M); gap between B and C usually under 2M, but could go much higher too; gap between C and D could be very close but also could be big, like 7M (Titanic 3D, again); gap between D and E is usually about 10% of the opening gross for big hollywood films (In the case of Titanic 3D, it's about $10M).

To Titanic 3D, for example, the opening Sunday midnight we estimated it at $81M (510M yuan) but then very soon the FOX number (via BOM, THR, Variety and so on) came at only $58M. That was a huge gap. On Tuesday, Fox revised the number to $67M, which never changed again. Meanwhile, the Chinese official Tuesday number came at 468M yuan (exactly 74M in $). Though the actual opening of Titanic 3D in China should be more than 530M yuan ($84M), that could never be known.

Edited by firedeep

Yeah, no offense to the Europeans, but you guys pussy out on rather mild weather. Spanish people take the heat very well, but I couldn't help but roll my eyes when I read that people were going to the hospital when the temperature hit 33 degrees?SERIOUSLY?

Agreed. We're still in May and, in Spain, we have already had about 40 degrees in some places, and 32-33 in the whole country. This temperatures are quite usual. I can understand there are other countries that don't usually have that temperatures, but that's not extreme heat

An in June we will have the European soccer championship. Add the London Olympics. Box office in Europe will suffer somehow, I guess.

Those are the real problems. Euro starts in two weeks and it will devour everything in June. And a month later we have Olympic Games. It shouldn't affect as much as Euro, but box office will still suffer.

You were born in a country where temperatures of 45 degrees+ are a regular occurrence. So,once again, it's all relative. You're used to hot weather.33 degrees to people in the UK would be very hot, (especially when public transport like the tube, buses, trains have no air conditioning at all) just like, in Kuwait, temperatures of -10 degrees would be extremely cold.

0.5 cm of snow can cripple whole country like Spain. :lol: I remember this year it was 1-2 mm of snow in Italy-Rome and everyone panic ! Studios missed opportunity to shot Day after tomorrow 2 :D :D

Edited by tilko
  • Like 1