grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

Just now, Valonqar said:

I don't think that any of them opened enough movies to be called an opener or an action star. Lucy obviously wasn't enough and GitS barely retained any of that audience. So jury's out but, IMO< they should give action parts to someone who looks the part and at least blends well with her stunt double which Scarlett absolutely doesn't. 

And who would this be? It's an incredibly small cross-section of people, at best. I like Gina Carano but she's hardly much of an actress. Same with Ronda Rousey or Zoe Bell. And these are probably among the best options.

And, of course, most Western male action stars aren't exactly amazing martial artists either. ScarJo sells it as well (or better) than almost anybody out there, men as well as women.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I never understood why, of all hard-bodied actresses, Hollywood decided to groom the most soft-bodied of them all for an action star. That had to break down somewhere and it didn't take long. Lucy was a fluke. It came at the right time - girl power fad was still big, low competition, fun marketing - and that was really it. 

Since when is "girl power" a fad? With the Star Wars, Hunger Games, soon Wonder Woman and Tomb Raider: it is the other way around.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Telerian said:

And who would this be? It's an incredibly small cross-section of people, at best. I like Gina Carano but she's hardly much of an actress. Same with Ronda Rousey or Zoe Bell. And these are probably among the best options.

And, of course, most Western male action stars aren't exactly amazing martial artists either. ScarJo sells it as well (or better) than almost anybody out there, men as well as women.

Well, she didn't sell GitS so I don't think she sells it better or even well. Lucy was a fluke. MCU is MCU, it makes s star out of anyone.

Theron, Saldana, JLaw, Blunt, Larson, Gurira, Lily, Henwick, most TV stars from action TV shows, look the part physically and we know that the tirck is really to have good marketing, and fewer competition. Beckinsale wasn't exactly the most known actress when Underworld surprised. So instead of casting the same old, spread the wealth, give to different actresses, see what sticks.

@MrGlass2 Mockingjay dropped, Allegiant went direct to TV and Star Wars is Star Wars. 

Edited by Valonqar

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Well, she didn't sell GitS so I don't think she sells it better or even well. Lucy was a fluke. MCU is MCU, it makes s star out of anyone.

Theron, Saldana, JLaw, Blunt, Larson, Gurira, Lily, Henwick, most TV stars from action TV shows, look the part physically and we know that the tirck is really to have good marketing, and fewer competition. Beckinsale wasn't exactly the most known actress when Underworld surprised. So instead of casting the same old, spread the wealth, give to different actresses, see what sticks.

@MrGlass2 Mockingjay dropped, Allegiant went direct to TV and Star Wars is Star Wars. 

If you seriously think people like JLaw and Larson and Beckinsale are better at action than ScarJo, I don't know how to respond. We'll just have to chalk it up to a complete difference of opinion.

Action TV shows? My word, man. I don't know what to say.

• Like 5

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Telerian said:

If you seriously think people like JLaw and Larson and Beckinsale are better at action than ScarJo, I don't know how to respond. We'll just have to chalk it up to a complete difference of opinion.

Action TV shows? My word, man. I don't know what to say.

Maggie Q as Nikita sold action better than ScarJo.

But Maggie Q was personally trained by Jackie Chan and does her own stunts so maybe not a fair comparison.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Maggie Q as Nikita sold action better than ScarJo.

But Maggie Q was personally trained by Jackie Chan and does her own stunts so maybe not a fair comparison.

There are certainly a few actresses (and actors) who're trained martial artists and good actors as well. Maggie Q is certainly on that list. 

Then again, not so much of GITS really involved complicated hand-to-hand combat.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Star Wars aside - MJ and Allegiant were more because of YA adaptation fad dying (honestly curious how Maze Runner 3 will do, Ascendant won't happen at all now that pretty much all the starts explicitly said no) and Lionsgate fucking up. Not 'girl power'.

15 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Star Wars aside - MJ and Allegiant were more because of YA adaptation fad dying (honestly curious how Maze Runner 3 will do, Ascendant won't happen at all now that pretty much all the starts explicitly said no) and Lionsgate fucking up. Not 'girl power'.

Star Wars isn't YA.

Young Adult is a book genre. The movies made from those books are YA.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:34 AM, SchumacherFTW said:

You get the odd movie that breaks out there, but for the most part, these are annual franchise movies like Pokemon, Doraemon and Detective Conan, that have been going on for years. 

Most of the anime that the community enjoys seasonally is restricted to late night airing on TV, because there isn't an audience to justify showing it during prime time. 

The other thing that Most Gaijan don't know is that the Kaiju genre is not that popular in Japan. It's like westerns in the US;the tropes have become part of popular culture and everybody is familiar with them but it's a challenge to get people to pay hard cash to go see a Kaiju film like it's hard to make US audiences go to see a Western. Not impossible, but not easy.

From Thursday Event George St is increasing the number of their VMAX(large screen format) sessions for GitS from 2 per day to 6 per day. Interesting considering the very high Asian demographic that go to it. 

Edited by DeeCee

1 hour ago, GirafficPark said:

Can we finally put to rest any idea that ScarJo is a box office draw now? Lucy aside, which wasnt anything about her specifically, no one cares about her outside the MCU.

Every actor has hits and misses. It's funny, i see the same type of comments in a female tennis dedicated forum. Everytime a top female tennis player is losing a match to a much lower ranked opponent, there are many on the forum that are posting stuff like "that's it, her career is over, the talentless fraud has been exposed", and of course she comes back strong in the next tournaments.. but after that, when again she loses bad, more of the same comments.. "she's done, just retire now".. and it keeps going like that.. it's exactly the same here.  :)

• Like 3

Very, very few people could be considered box office draws in the sense that they alone can cement the reason that people will go to the movie theater. Several actors and actresses can be contributing reasons for a movie's success, but rarely would they be the sole reason.

What you often see is that someone who does get really big and get declared a box office draw is usually riding on the success of some massive franchise, so they see a bit of bleed-over elsewhere for a while, but it doesn't last. Downey got a bump, probably, in Tropic Thunder and Due Date (much as Galafanakis did from The Hangover), but hasn't had much of anything else big since Sherlock Holmes 2. Johnny Depp saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Rango do well, but he's now regarded as pretty toxic, box office-wise, and that's not even including the domestic problems.

Being able to be a "box office draw" takes both the luck to get the offers for the right jobs to capitalize upon AND the intelligence to know which ones are likely to do well. That's a hard thing to pull off. The Rock seems pretty smart in that regard. Most of his non-FF fare does pretty well, but you can see how things like San Andreas and Central Intelligence have a bit of assurance that they'll do pretty well.

Often, it seems that several actors are smart enough to realize that such a form of fame is pretty fleeting, and probably unnecessary to chase after. Christian Bale doesn't really even try for big box office stuff anymore. Batman got him known, but he's not looking for a new franchise. 

Who could probably assuredly be called a box office draw? Denzel. His movie brand is pretty well cemented at this point, but most of his films pretty much come down to him as a selling point. They don't achieve huge blockbuster status, but there's a consistency in his performance that's long lasting and enviable. Tom Cruise might also still be, but he's not at the heights he once was, outside of his go-to franchise.

So the thing with ScarJo is that even without a solo movie (which seems to be something she really wanted), she did get that box office boost for Lucy. But as with others, it seemed to be fleeting. She may have made a poor choice in trying to get this film as a solo franchise vehicle. But she also may not have had any other convincing offers.

Chris Pratt might be the next one to watch. Right now he's in big franchise-ville and often gets painted as a box office draw, but it's unknown whether that's really true. Passengers probably got a bit of a boost from his (and JLaw's) presence, but I don't think he's got anything else on the docket.

• Like 4

Its not sexism, plenty of men are box office poison **Cough Taylor Kitsch Cough**, its just true. She gets far too much money for not being either that good, or anyone anyone cares about.

Was she responsible for Lucys inexplicable gross? I doubt it, there are plenty of other movies with her in them in a major role that fall flat.

Edited by GirafficPark

1 hour ago, GirafficPark said:

Its not sexism, plenty of men are box office poison **Cough Taylor Kitsch Cough**, its just true. She gets far too much money for not being either that good, or anyone anyone cares about.

Was she responsible for Lucys inexplicable gross? I doubt it, there are plenty of other movies with her in them in a major role that fall flat.

:kitschjob:

• Like 1