tawasal

Weekend actuals - NUT (12,1) RIDE (21,29) LONE (12,9) FROZ (9,118) WOLFIE (5,48)

She's vampy and preening for an award. It doesn't feel like a real person at all, it feels like an alien's concept of what that woman would act like. It -- and the movie -- are like this odd, fetishist take on *A* *P*E*R*I*O*D* *M*O*V*I*E*.

I was hoping they stuck with the story of the crazy family. I actually went back and read up on them. There seemed to be 2 themes, the child kidnapping and the police corruption which didn't necessarily mesh well imo. I think they captured the period well. Old L.A. is always a treat to watch on film. But I agree, the movie itself did not flow smoothly.

• Like 1

I was hoping they stuck with the story of the crazy family. I actually went back and read up on them. There seemed to be 2 themes, the child kidnapping and the police corruption which didn't necessarily mesh well imo. I think they captured the period well. Old L.A. is always a treat to watch on film. But I agree, the movie itself did not flow smoothly.

It was very elegant to look at -- but that's part of my criticism overall (and it's not just this movie either). A lot of period movies fall into the trap of "glamorizing" the look of the past; cool old cars and nice vintage clothing... but it's so perfect looking it doesn't feel particularly real. Even the "dirty" stuff is elegant. Funk it up a bit. That clean aesthetic doesn't really work for a story like this.

While it's not a movie, MAD MEN is a great example of not falling into this trap.

edit: Skeletor-gelina also wasn't a very good fit for a period-era woman. Put on 20-30 pounds! She'd look much better (and be more accurate as well).

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

It was very elegant to look at -- but that's part of my criticism overall (and it's not just this movie either). A lot of period movies fall into the trap of "glamorizing" the look of the past; cool old cars and nice vintage clothing... but it's so perfect looking it doesn't feel particularly real. Even the "dirty" stuff is elegant. Funk it up a bit. That clean aesthetic doesn't really work for a story like this.

While it's not a movie, MAD MEN is a great example of not falling into this trap.

I haven't seen it in a long while. But I don't recall how glamorous it was as compared to say Chinatown, LA Confidential, or Devil in a Blue Dress.

Read "Gone Girl", really glad they changed the structure of the book completely for the movie. The book, as it is currently written, would have made for a deathly boring movie. Almost the entire first 75% of the book is restricted to internal monologues, and a lot of Hollywood movies have shown just how bad a running internal monologue can be in movie form.

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/gone-girl-screenplay-adaptation-more-faithful-than-affleck-interview-suggests

Edited by grim22

Best post I saw about the Royal Rumble pissing people off last night (aka how to explain the complete and total frustration to non fans)

By 2012, Iron Man was a pop culture sensation. He’d gone from a character only comic book fans were familiar with to a box-office smash who was played by Robert Downey Jr. in 2 films to crazy amounts of praise. The Avengers was incoming and the anticipation was reaching a fever-pitch. People couldn’t wait to see the action and excitement. But obviously, Tony/Iron Man is the leading man and was bound to steal the show and be as funny and cool as he was in his own movies. He was the first big character of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, he sold the most merchandise, he’s the poster boy for Marvel Productions. The entire franchise has been building to this moment, this is the culmination of a story we’ve all been dying to see.

Now imagine The Avengers a lot differently. Iron Man appears in the very first scene and steals the show with his usual antics and you’re excited for more and then… nothing. He isn’t seen again the rest of the movie. He comes in for a single scene at the start, proves why he’s so awesome and then just vanishes. Then it’s the final scene. Here it is, the perfect moment for Iron Man to return. You see why he was gone now, so when he came back and saved the day it’d be all the more sweeter. But, no. The Avengers are down, they need help. And who comes to save the day?

Ghost Rider.

Nicolas Cage.

And we’re supposed to eat it up and love every second.

Robert Downey Jr isn’t happy but he’s just following orders. Samuel L Jackson is pissed, all his costars are there for the exact same reason but they know RDJ has worked harder than any of them and deserves this more. The entire film industry, comic book industry, stars of superhero films past and present and Marvel’s peers are livid.

Now imagine that Iron Man is actually Daniel Bryan, a veteran performer in the WWE who fans have specifically paid to see over the past few months and a guy who has stolen the spotlight even in the presence of legends and Hall of Famers. A guy who has had arenas full of thousands of people wearing his merchandise, chanting his name in unison, telling the WWE they want him to shine.

Imagine The Avengers is the Royal Rumble event. The culmination of a long build-up, characters being established specifically for this, a paradigm-shifting event that sets the tone for the future and cements legacies and makes stars.

Ironically enough, future Marvel star Dave Bautista is Ghost Rider. A mediocre star that fizzled out a long time ago, being shoved back down our throats, expecting us to like it this time. That is what the WWE has done to their star, Daniel Bryan.

Edited by grim22

I wonder about those 30-40 people that went to see it at each of those theaters. Actually it could be more if it's playing in discount theaters now. Man, what if there's only a single showing each day at each of those, and it's just jam packed. 70 people, watching Percy Jackson.

Who are these people? How did they get there? Do they ever leave? Or is there only way out if a theater decides to drop the movie?

What if, sometime in the far distant future, when our sun is a cold cinder, there's still a single theater, showing Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters. The people inside want to leave. Their popcorn is empty. The sodas have run dry. They want to leave, but they can't. This is Hell.

• Like 4