luna

BO.com 100 Greatest Directors PRESENTATION

8. christopher nolan - 44 pts

[*]INCEPTION

[*]THE DARK KNIGHT

[*]MEMENTO

Considering that many said they purposely gave Nolan a low ranking just to bring a little balance to this voting, Nolan could've easily made it to top5 or even top3 in this list.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 2

Nolan not in top 5 because people purposely left him off the list makes no sense. It defeats the purpose of the thread.I suggest an immediate re-do of the thread.Cameron didn't even make top 5 either. I'm done.Fuck this thread. (Nothing against Lisa)

Nah. He wouldn't have made it anyways. The people who left him off the list, like me don't have him in my top 100 anyways, or would've put him in the 51-100 category which really is only 1 measly point. Not enough for top 5 and defs not for top 3. 

Nah. He wouldn't have made it anyways. The people who left him off the list, like me don't have him in my top 100 anyways, or would've put him in the 51-100 category which really is only 1 measly point. Not enough for top 5 and defs not for top 3.

The difference between #8 and #5 is only 7 points. It does matter.

The discussion about M. Night dovetails into something I've been wondering about. Does a bad film count against a director? Is greatness a question of how good they got at a peak (when a movie worked) or is some of that canceled out with a misstep?

Same point I was thinking. I think M.Night gets hurt by the fact that his body of work is still quite small so the bad films make quite a big percentage. However if he went back onto a hot streak again, how many films would it take for him to be 'worthy of this list'.Conversly, look at some of the great directors who have been producing shit for the past 10 years (looking at you Messers Scott and Burton). Can their runs of poor films ever see them lose their place in the top 100?I am pretty sure that if this thread was done in 2002, both Scott and Burton would have been knocking on the door of top 10 as opposed to where they ended up.

I think its tempting to say the director did a great job if we enjoy a movie and a poor job if we didn't but I personally don't think that a director's skill is the sole reason for the quality of a film. E.G I consider Avatar a great piece of directing but not a great film. I enjoyed a movie like, say, Iron Man 3 more despite not finding that movie as well directed.

It's just like how an actor can give an amazing performance despite the script not connecting with you....so can a director IMO.

• Like 2