luna

BO.com 100 Greatest Directors PRESENTATION

That's a ridiculous and uninformed opinion. Old films can be and sometimes are much better than new films. Give me Transformers and Intolerance and I'd choose the latter every single time because it is a better movie. Besides this is a list of greatest which connotes most influential anyways so I'm not sure why people started this anyways. Not 100 best or 100 favourite but 100 GREATEST

Youre mistaking influence with skill. And Bay is a much better director than Griffith. I find it funny that i have a misinformed opinion because it disagrees with yours. Lol.
  • Like 2

Objectively he's much better.  His films are more than just meat head films.  He's directed some outstanding movies and Rocky II and Rocky Balboa are miles better than anything Jonze has done.    MILES.

Jonze's worst film is WTWTA, Stallone's best is Rocky 6.  I'd say Jonze's credentials FAR exceed that of John Spartan.

That's a ridiculous and uninformed opinion. Old films can be and sometimes are much better than new films. Give me Transformers and Intolerance and I'd choose the latter every single time because it is a better movie.Besides this is a list of greatest which connotes most influential anyways so I'm not sure why people started this anyways. Not 100 best or 100 favourite but 100 GREATEST

I think Transformers is GREATER than Intolerance. Im not alone on this opinion.

• Like 2

This asshat shouldn't have even been on the BALLOT as far as great directors are concerned.

Really?? Being a great director doesn't mean they have to deliver films with great scripts (which most directors don't write anyways). He is a director, he gets performances out of people, decides the best way to film certain scenes and uses his imagination to turn that script into reality. Michael Bay is brilliant at doing this, so yes, he does deserve to be here. The fact Michael Bay movies do so well with such poor scripts only shows just how great his directing must be ;)

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

Really?? Being a great director doesn't mean they have to deliver films with great scripts (which most directors don't write anyways). He is a director, he gets performances out of people, decides the best way to film certain scenes and uses his imagination to turn that script into reality. Michael Bay is brilliant at doing this, so yes, he does deserve to be here. The fact Michael Bay movies do so well with such poor scripts only shows just how great his directing must be ;)

Oh, you mean like, uh, every single director ever employed by the film industry since the inception of the medium, countless hundreds of which have done a much better job?

Edited by Squaremaster316

Oh, you mean like, uh, every single director ever employed by the film industry since the beginning of the medium, countless hundreds of which have done a much better job?  The vast majority of which are terrible.

He made Ben Affleck look like an okay actor in Armageddon, that's quite an achievement. Besides, he puts more heart into his blockbusters than most directors do. I'm not saying he's the best director out there, but to say it shouldn't be in the top 100 is just wrong.

I have D.W. Griffith on my list, but of the films directed by him that I've seen, I do think there is quite the drop-off after Intolerance (granted that is one my favorite films of all-time).

And while I'm a bit of a Wes Anderson fan, you can add me to the list of people who don't think he deserves to be on an all-time best list.  Simply think there are a number of current directors who should be/are ahead of him given what they've accomplished compared to him.

So far, I do like the list for the most part.  Glad to see Bertolucci and Luhrmann both make it.

That is all.

Edited by JarJarBinks

Actually, yes it does.  

These guys today have developed their skill so much more than he did simply because he was the pioneer.  Comparing Cameron to Griffith is like comparing the first draft of a script to the finished, polished draft that gets made.  There's no comparison.  And this isn't even really an opinion.  It's fact.  

That's just not true and wrong.....and clearly not a fact. Unless you're trying to say that films today are better than older films, which is still an opinion. Films today are not directed better. Special Effects may be better, but the art of storytelling through directing simply isn't. It's just silly to say that directors today are better than Griffith simply because they are newer.

That's like saying that Shakespeare may have been influential, but he isn't one of the best writers. Writers today are more polished and have advanced the craft of putting words on paper. Following your logic, you'd say JK Rowling is a better writer than Shakespeare.

Edit: I actually do have Cameron ranked ahead of Griffith on my list. But comparing him to Cameron is the point....to compare the greatest directors to each other. The point isn't to name every current director and say that  they're all better than Griffith.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 2

You may like Bay's movies more than INTOLERANCE, but saying they're objectively better is like saying Bieber's latest hit is better than Beethoven.

That is so not true.

That is so not true.

But it is. One is a pop culture sensation who uses tools and techniques invented, introduced, and perfected by artists prior to him; who is not after any sort of deeper meaning, but "merely" entertaining for the duration of the song/piece of art. The other is someone who invented most of the visual language and techniques used in popular filmmaking today, and used those techniques to not only entertain, but make statements about culture, history, and humanity.

(btw, I didn't have either Bay or Griffith on my list; didn't consider one worthy and simply haven't seen enough of the other to warrant him being on MY list.)

• Like 2

I want Michael Bay to be the Pain & Gain Bay, making funny, violent, subversive films on a moderate/smaller scale. I enjoyed The Rock a lot, but Pain & Gain was the first time I saw Bay as making a truly memorable film with more layers than just explosions on explosions.

Amen Baumer.. Rocky 1 was and is still is one of the best movies ever made period..ANd created and icon and franchise on that one character film about a down and out boxer with heart of  a champion rising to take whats his.

Jonze will never do a film on the scale of Rocky 1..Well put..Im pretty sure Rocky ranks way up there on the AFI list too Baumer buddy.

I agree with this. The only thing I would add is that John G. Avildsen directed Rocky and won the Academy Award for best Director for directing Rocky.

I did vote for John G. Avildsen. Here's hoping that he makes the list.

You may like Bay's movies more than INTOLERANCE, but saying they're objectively better is like saying Bieber's latest hit is better than Beethoven.

Well cinema today is a showcase for big summer blockbusters, sure there's the art house films but the majority of people are looking forward to seeing big budget. I'm just like that, when it comes to summer I want to just chill out and be entertained, I don't care about 'deep messages' when I'm just looking to relax and Transformers 1 was more satisfying to me than Intolerence, therefore I find it better.

I want Michael Bay to be the Pain & Gain Bay, making funny, violent, subversive films on a moderate/smaller scale. I enjoyed The Rock a lot, but Pain & Gain was the first time I saw Bay as making a truly memorable film with more layers than just explosions on explosions.

I want Bad Boys 3