luna

BO.com 100 Greatest Directors PRESENTATION

Posted Image

David Samuel "Sam" Peckinpah (/ˈpɛkɪnˌpɑː/;[1] February 21, 1925 – December 28, 1984) was an American film director and screenwriter who achieved prominence following the release of the Western epic The Wild Bunch (1969). He was known for the innovative and explicit depiction of action and violence, as well as his revisionist approach to the Western genre.

Peckinpah's films generally deal with the conflict between values and ideals, and the corruption of violence in human society. He was given the nickname "Bloody Sam" owing to the violence in his films. His characters are often loners or losers who desire to be honorable, but are forced to compromise in order to survive in a world of nihilism and brutality.

Peckinpah's combative personality, marked by years of alcohol and drug abuse, affected his professional legacy. Many of his films were noted for behind-the-scenes battles with producers and crew members, damaging his reputation and career during his lifetime. Some of his films, including Straw Dogs (1971), Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973) and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974), remain controversial.

• Like 4

Posted Image

Robert Bernard Altman (/ˈɔːltmən/; February 20, 1925 – November 20, 2006) was an American film director and screenwriter. A five time nominee of the Academy Award for Best Directorand an enduring figure from the New Hollywood era, Altman was considered a "maverick" in making films that are highly naturalistic, but with a stylized perspective unlike most Hollywood films.

His style of filmmaking was unique among directors in that his subjects covered most genres but with a "subversive" twist, typically relying on satire and humor to express his personal vision. Altman developed a reputation for being "anti-Hollywood" and non-conformist in both his themes and directing style. However, actors especially enjoyed working under his direction because he encouraged them to improvise, thereby inspiring their own creativity.

• Like 6

we'll just leave this one alone, shall we?

Posted Image

Mel Colm-Cille Gerard Gibson AO (born January 3, 1956) is an Australian-American actor, film director, producer and screenwriter. He was born in Peekskill, New York, moved with his parents to Sydney, Australia, when he was 12 years old, and later studied acting at the Australian National Institute of Dramatic Art.

After appearing as an action hero during the 1980s, Gibson went on to found Icon Entertainment, a Production Company which independent film director Atom Egoyan has called, "an alternative to the studio system."[2]

In 1995, Gibson produced, directed, and starred in the Academy Award-winning Braveheart. In 2004, he directed and produced The Passion of the Christ, a controversial film depicting the last hours in the life of Jesus Christ.

• Like 5

If Mel Gibson didn't destroy his reputation and career with his personal life, I'm sure he would be one of the best directors working today.  Braveheart, Apocalypto, and Passion are all very well made movies.  Its a shame because he was supposed to direct a Viking movie(something he has dreamed of doing forever) similar in tone and grittiness to Apocalypto, and I would've fucking killed to see that.

• Like 6

David Samuel "Sam" Peckinpah (/ˈpɛkɪnˌpɑː/;[1] February 21, 1925 – December 28, 1984) was an American film director and screenwriter who achieved prominence following the release of the Western epic The Wild Bunch (1969). He was known for the innovative and explicit depiction of action and violence, as well as his revisionist approach to the Western genre.

Peckinpah's films generally deal with the conflict between values and ideals, and the corruption of violence in human society. He was given the nickname "Bloody Sam" owing to the violence in his films. His characters are often loners or losers who desire to be honorable, but are forced to compromise in order to survive in a world of nihilism and brutality.

Peckinpah's combative personality, marked by years of alcohol and drug abuse, affected his professional legacy. Many of his films were noted for behind-the-scenes battles with producers and crew members, damaging his reputation and career during his lifetime. Some of his films, including Straw Dogs (1971), Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973) and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974), remain controversial.

:bravo:

Good last three choices. Lee almost made my list and I forgot about Peckinpah. 

:angry:

But bay doesn't make entertaining movies. They're crass, boring and not very well made.

Exactly, I fell asleep in Transformers 3 because the movie bored me to death, I don't even like the Rock, so I am fine saying that Bay has never made a good film in his life.

I don't care how much work it takes to be a director, hard work (Knowing Bay's personality I highly doubt he works half as hard as 90% of the directors in Hollywood today) doesn't mean shit if the product is shit (And especially as of late, Bay's products are bottom of the heap, offensive dogshit).

To be a good director, you need talent, you need vision, you need to be able to get people to cooperate well with you, you need to work hard, and you have to have respect for the story you are telling.  If you have no respect for the stories you are telling then don't expect the audience to respect your movie.  (Michael Bay has no respect for the stories he tells, you can see it with the way he treats his franchise movies, and how he treated Pain and Gain by doing nothing but glorifying crazed murderers )

I dont think Bay deserves a spot in the the list, but when it comes to getting the job done, the guy is one of the most hard working directors out there. He's an incredibly efficient director and that's a key factor to why studios love this guy.

Interestingly, Nolan shares this same advantage with Bay.

I'm sure Bay works incredibly hard, he just makes really really shitty films. 

To quote south park"Army Man - No those aren't ideas those are special effects"

Michael Bay - I...I don't understand the difference

Army Man - We know you don't Michael Bay"

Edited by Spottswoode
  • Like 1