luna

BO.com 100 Greatest Directors PRESENTATION

You may like Bay's movies more than INTOLERANCE, but saying they're objectively better is like saying Bieber's latest hit is better than Beethoven.

I'm a little stunned at this comment.  You're making it an absolute and that is strange.  You can have your opinion but it's just an opinion.  Directing is more than just story and technique.  Bay is imo one of the best of all time at directing because of what he brings to film.  His way of telling a story and his framing and his action and his way of making me feel part of the story is better than Griffith.  So making a statement like this, the one you just made, kind of bothers me.

So I'm just going to stay out of this thread.  Out of respect for Lisa's hard work at putting this together, I'll read it but leave comments out.  But it makes me honestly wonder if you guys know what is involved in directing.  It just seems like it's a lot more than what you say it is.  I have directed before and I'm sorry if this sounds pretentious but I think you're really selling him short when you label what he does simply as this:

But it is. One is a pop culture sensation who uses tools and techniques invented, introduced, and perfected by artists prior to him; who is not after any sort of deeper meaning, but "merely" entertaining for the duration of the song/piece of art. The other is someone who invented most of the visual language and techniques used in popular filmmaking today, and used those techniques to not only entertain, but make statements about culture, history, and humanity.

Sorry, but that's just wrong.  

Edited by Christmas baumer

But bay doesn't make entertaining movies. They're crass, boring and not very well made.

But movies like The Island, The Rock, Bad Boys and Armageddon were very well made and not boring at all. They were clearly well directed. Bay's movies have a distinct style. There is no denying his affect and influence on blockbusters.

I put directors who I liked their work much less than Bay on my list, because I was making a list of the 100 greatest directors. I don't like Woody Allen or Oliver Stone films usually, but I can't deny that they are two of the top 100 directors of all-time, so both of them made my list. 

• Like 2

But it is. One is a pop culture sensation who uses tools and techniques invented, introduced, and perfected by artists prior to him; who is not after any sort of deeper meaning, but "merely" entertaining for the duration of the song/piece of art. The other is someone who invented most of the visual language and techniques used in popular filmmaking today, and used those techniques to not only entertain, but make statements about culture, history, and humanity.

Sorry, but that's just wrong.  

But, B, this is just my opinion. I hope you don't stay out of the thread.

You know I'm not a huge Bay-hater. I actually think he's a very talented guy. But -- at least for me -- he hasn't stepped up to realize his full potential yet. If we were talking the 100 Best Blockbuster Directors, or the 100 Best Directors of the Last 20 Years, or maybe even the 100 Best Hollywood Directors, he might make my list. But we're talking the 100 best of all time, and (for me) you have to do more than just technical skill. You have to embrace the story. And -- with occasional exception -- Bay isn't that interested.

IMO.

• Like 2

For real baumer, don't take this shit personally. We're all "friends" here. :)

I don't know anything about the art of filmmaking. Maybe the things Bay does on set, like different techniques, camera set ups, logistics of the production or whatever, are impressive. I can only judge him by the end result, and when it comes to the end result, I'm not that impressed (except for the action in some of his movies, which, imo, is not enough).

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 1

i know absolutely nothing about this guy, nor do i recognise the names of any of his movies. nevertheless...

Posted Image

Shelton Jackson "SpikeLee (born March 20, 1957) is an American film director, producer, writer, and actor. His production company, 40 Acres and a Mule Filmworks, has produced over 35 films since 1983.

Lee's movies have examined race relations, colorism in the black community, the role of media in contemporary life, urban crime and poverty, and other political issues. Lee has won numerous awards, including an Emmy Award. He has also received two Academy Award nominations.

• Like 5

Posted Image

Edgar Howard Wright (born 18 April 1974) is an English film and television directorscreenwriter and producer. He is most known for his "Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy" consisting ofShaun of the DeadHot Fuzz, and The World's End, in collaboration with friends and reccurent collaborators Simon PeggNira Park and Nick Frost. He also collaborated with them as as the director of the television series Spaced.

He also co-wrote, produced and directed the 2010 film Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Along with his friend Joe Cornish and Steven Moffat, he co-wrote Steven Spielberg's The Adventures of Tintin. Wright and Cornish co-wrote the screenplay of upcoming superhero film Ant-Man, which Wright will direct for a planned release in July 2015.

• Like 5