grim22

The Disaster Artist - Movie about making of "The Room" | Dec 8 2017

7 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Thursday night showings for this are selling fast in NYC. I can see a pretty big PTA despite opening on more screens than a typical platform.

Also I, Tonya is going to be huge here. The first Thursday night showings in 2 weeks at the Angelika are totally sold out.

The Shape of Water has sold out a few shows at the Angelika this weekend as well.

35 minutes ago, MrGamer2558 said:

For people who want to skip the masterpiece known as The Room before you watch The Disaster Artist, here you go, you heathens. 

You can never replicate the experience of the first time you see “The Room”. This video doesn’t do it justice.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Amen. Unless you've been to midnight screenings with pot wafting through the air, you can't grasp the power. 

I watched it with a group of friends, high as hell. I honestly think it brought us all closer together. No film has ever done this.

Just came back.

This movie is a step down from the book sadly. The intrigue and mystery behind Tommy is barely touched upon. the film, whilst very funny, never really lets you feel just how awful Tommy was to work for (I think this is down to just how little we spend with the crew, situations take place and they're comedic, but a more could've been added to let us know that these things are happening to actual people, not props for the comedy. 

The comedy works, it's certainly very funny, but it feels very shallow. The parts with all The Room scenes had the audience laughing hard, and the last act of the film has them in spades, it was fantastic. Chris R is brilliant (I don't know if they're publicizing the actor here, but he was great). Tommy Wiseau got laughs with each try.

However the final act is rushed and doesn't reflect the reality of a situation that most Room fans know took place. The scene never happened. What actually happened would've provided a strong emotional punch that this film could've needed. The film also ends with the most glaring continuity error I've seen in a recent film, it's one of the most common continuity errors too and it for to end like that really solidified just how rushed this scene was.

The film is quite short, I get the sense that it was made as a fun summer comedy rather than anything prestige, but that's just where we are now. It's a good comedy, but it could've been so much more. Frankly all the awards buzz added to my disappointment, I was sold something I never got.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, AJG said:

Just came back.

This movie is a step down from the book sadly. The intrigue and mystery behind Tommy is barely touched upon. the film, whilst very funny, never really lets you feel just how awful Tommy was to work for (I think this is down to just how little we spend with the crew, situations take place and they're comedic, but a more could've been added to let us know that these things are happening to actual people, not props for the comedy. 

The comedy works, it's certainly very funny, but it feels very shallow. The parts with all The Room scenes had the audience laughing hard, and the last act of the film has them in spades, it was fantastic. Chris R is brilliant (I don't know if they're publicizing the actor here, but he was great). Tommy Wiseau got laughs with each try.

However the final act is rushed and doesn't reflect the reality of a situation that most Room fans know took place. The scene never happened. What actually happened would've provided a strong emotional punch that this film could've needed. The film also ends with the most glaring continuity error I've seen in a recent film, it's one of the most common continuity errors too and it for to end like that really solidified just how rushed this scene was.

The film is quite short, I get the sense that it was made as a fun summer comedy rather than anything prestige, but that's just where we are now. It's a good comedy, but it could've been so much more. Frankly all the awards buzz added to my disappointment, I was sold something I never got.

I don't agree with you although I haven't read the book. As for the continuity error - glasses right? I thought I was going crazy.

2 minutes ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

I don't agree with you although I haven't read the book. As for the continuity error - glasses right? I thought I was going crazy.

Yep, it’s the glasses.

The book is absolutely brilliant, I read it in 3 days, a month later I listened to the audiobook and it is fantastic. Greg Sestero does the best Tommy Wiseau impression I’ve ever heard. The book is way more in-depth and personal than the film.

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Yep, it’s the glasses.

The book is absolutely brilliant, I read it in 3 days, a month later I listened to the audiobook and it is fantastic. Greg Sestero does the best Tommy Wiseau impression I’ve ever heard. The book is way more in-depth and personal than the film.

Isn't that kind of a given though? Most books are far more in depth than their films. As for it being personal - well it was written by Greg Sestero himself so yeah it's going to be more personal.

Anyway I thought Disaster Artist was fantastic. It has completely changed the way I see The Room and Tommy Wiseau

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

Anyway I thought Disaster Artist was fantastic. It has completely changed the way I see The Room and Tommy Wiseau

If you liked that aspect of it I would very much recommend reading (or rather, listening) to the book anyway. It really is great.