grim22

The Disaster Artist - Movie about making of "The Room" | Dec 8 2017

11 hours ago, dudalb said:

Yes, for the same reasons it really helps a lot to see PLan Nine From Outer Space before seeing "Ed Wood"

I suspect "The Disaster Artist" might repeat "Ed Wood"'s history: great reviews but not a lot of box office..

A movie should stand on its own. I loved Burton's Ed Wood upon watching it and I had never sit through Plan 9 From Outer Space.(Lord Have Mercy, I reclaim my time). That's why Ed Wood is a great movie because Depp and Landau elevated the movie beyond "Private Joke for Happy Fews deviant cinephiles".

So far, The Disaster Artist feels like an overlong SNL skit that will fly above the head of 99% of the audience on this planet. Typically the movie made for Film Twitter's Austin and Telluride crowds.

Edited by dashrendar44

On 10/26/2017 at 3:08 AM, dashrendar44 said:

A movie should stand on its own.

If this is true to the source material, it should. The book is much more about a man whose ambition wildly exceeds his talent and his ability to kid himself than merely funny anecdotes from the set.

(Whether the movie actually captures that, I've no idea.)

I anticipate a massive PTA during its limited debut, perhaps the biggest of the year. The fans of The Room will really turn out for it. So $100k+ per theater is a bet I'd be willing to make.

Not so sure about its expansion. It could catch on with mainstream audiences--or the awards-season audience if it gets that buzz--and get $50-75mil domestically. On the other hand, A24's biggest film is still Moonlight at $27.9mil, and they have often opened limited releases to massive PTA's, only to end up with pretty soft expansion numbers (see: Spring Breakers, Moonlight, Ex Machina, The Bling Ring). So The Disaster Artist could well be their highest grosser and still only get $30-40mil domestic.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Friend of mine (and huge Room fan) saw an early screening of this, said it lived up to the hype and was surprisingly dramatic.

"surprisingly dramatic"

Welp, I'll definitely be seeing this.

(Most of the best comedies make room for heart.)