Gross

% of

Weekend

Weekend Gross Theaters Friday

Date

1 One Direction: This is Us TriS $8,868,530 56.1% $15,815,497 2,735 8/30/13
2 Endless Love (2014) Uni. $7,400,000 56.0% $13,206,000 2,896 2/14/14
3 African Cats BV $3,327,053 55.4% $6,003,200 1,220 4/22/11

Almost a new record!  I'm still impressed how One Direction managed to achieve #1 despite opening on Labor Day weekend where Sunday drops are supposed to be muted.

Edited by Frozen Iceroll

Colin Farrell...

Gonna add him to that 'actors Hollywood tried to force on us' thread.

Yea, but he's been around for 15 years and starred in enough films that I don't think he was forced on us at all.

• Like 1

Movies that grossed >50m in the 2nd weekend after a <100m 1st weekend:

Grinch, Passion of Christ, Potter SS, Phantom Menace, Incredibles, Iron Man, RotK, Avatar and Lego

Edited by a2knet

Yea, but he's been around for 15 years and starred in enough films that I don't think he was forced on us at all.

Yeah, he was good in a few films. But not cut out for lead roles in big movies.

Has gotten a lot of opportunities to break out as an A-lister. Folks like Will Smith doing a cameo in a Farrell movie. Will doesn't do anything anymore for anyone except Jaden.

Edited by a2knet

Gravity was definitely impressive but I think in terms of sustained success and pre-release expectations Frozen's run is head and shoulders above everything in the last 20 years not named Titanic or Avatar.

I think you can make a good argument. I personally think the legs for Sixth Sense, Greek Wedding, Lion King, and Forrest Gump were more out of this world. The fact that Frozen is in the same discussion is impressive!
  • Like 1