Phil in the Blank

Has a little bit of knowledge ever ruined a scene for you?

Almost every movie that involves an MRI machine.  Or where they have x-rays hanging in the background (back in the pre-digital world when there were such things as lightboxes and actual films).  Those films were almost always hung backwards or upside down... or you could tell from the quality of the film that they had gotten it from the recycle bin because the images were undiagnostic.

But I always cringe at movies where the MRI machine snatches the gun away from someone about ten feet away.  Or there's an actual doctor PERFORMING the MRI or standing next to the machine with a pager or a cell phone or a clipboard while the patient is having the test.

Edited by MagnetMan
  • Like 3

Almost every movie that involves an MRI machine.  Or where they have x-rays hanging in the background (back in the pre-digital world when there were such things as lightboxes and actual films).  Those films were almost always hung backwards or upside down... or you could tell from the quality of the film that they had gotten it from the recycle bin because the images were undiagnostic.

But I always cringe at movies were the MRI machine snatches the gun away from someone about ten feet away.  Or there's an actual doctor PERFORMING the MRI or standing next to the machine with a pager or a cell phone or a clipboard while the patient is having the test.

There is an obvious joke to be made about MagnetMan talking about MRIs. Can't figure out what that joke is right now.  :D

• Like 6

The border crossing between Jordan and Egypt in Transformers 2. Actually the list is quiet extensive for Transformers 2 when it comes to geography.

I will occasionally visit this page when TF2 is brought up, just to have a laugh so I don't die from the pain memories.http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/06/bonus_robs_transformers_2_faqs.php Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 4

It didn't ruin the movie for me and I only noticed it the other day, but the part in The Matrix where Neo is hanging off the side of the building and he drops the phone, you can see some cars driving on the right. But in Australia we drive on the left, so those cars are moving against the turning arrows. It made me laugh.

Edited by lab276

I can't remember if these were fixed in the SEs (I don't think so), but in the original STAR WARS there's a bit where a stormtrooper bonks his head that's totally hysterical... and in EMPIRE when Vader's trying to convince Luke to rule the galaxy with him, the updraft from the vent almost blows his (lightweight, plastic) helmet off. :lol:

edit:

Stormtrooper:

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 4

I think 300.

I am like an amateur historian. 

I almost stood up in the theater when they started using gunpowder. I was like it was not invented for another 1000 years! 

However, 300 was a perfect film to watch with friends...Just laugh at the silliness and go woh at the one liners.

Watching the film by yourself is cringe worthy. 

Except for 300 it ruined the entire movie, not the scene.  I may have just extremely disliked the movie instead hating it with a burning passion if it had been somewhat historically accurate, but that was one of the most inaccurate abominations to history I have ever witnessed in an A-List Epic.

As for a scene, i'll agree with the last scene in Saving Mr. Banks, I knew that P.L. Travers actually hated the movie so it was a bit off-putting to see her cry, I get that technically it could just be her remembering her father, but it still gave off the image that the movie moved her.  I know why they went with the ending they did, it just seemed a bit wrong.

I can't remember if these were fixed in the SEs (I don't think so), but in the original STAR WARS there's a bit where a stormtrooper bonks his head that's totally hysterical... and in EMPIRE when Vader's trying to convince Luke to rule the galaxy with him, the updraft from the vent almost blows his (lightweight, plastic) helmet off. :lol:

edit:

Stormtrooper:

That stuff gets me every time I watch those movies. I can't help, but laugh.  :rofl:

• Like 1

edit:

Stormtrooper:

They reference that in Attack of the Clones by having Jango Fett bump his head on the door as he's getting onto his ship.

• Like 1

As you can probably tell, I adore my formula 1. So Iron Man 2 stung for a number of reasons. 1) You can't switch drivers on race day in formula 1, they must at least complete 1 practice session on Friday to be allowed to race on Sunday. 2) The cars looked so god damn wrong (screw you bernie for being so restrictive with licenses! )3) As soon as Vanko came on track there would be at minimum a safety car, they wouldn't beallowed to continue racing4) The moment happy and pepper start driving backwards around the track you would have an instant red flag. I'm a bit too anal for my own good sometimes

• Like 2

I've been a big skyscraper enthusiast for a while now, and most of the time, it doesn't really change my enjoyment of a movie. I do enjoy seeing a tall/famous skyscraper under construction and the lack/presence of certain buildings in establishing shots, and knowing roughly when a movie (or at least a scene) was filmed.

Some things that did "bother" me though include:

-between TDK and TDKR, Gotham goes from being obviously Chicago to a mixture of Chicago, NYC, Los Angeles, Philidelphia, and more

-in Transformers 3, when Optimus is tangled in a large building under construction, the building he was tangled in is actually a building in Bejing, edited to look WAY bigger than it is (looming over other buildings too). This particularly bothered me because they didn't include a building that would dominate the skyline in any of the Chicago establishing shots they had; they just had a cool looking building thrown in for the sake of the plot

-in Her, the setting bounces back between LA and Shanghai for no reason whatsoever, and at one point, they focus on the Jin Mao Tower, Shanghai World Financial Center and (an under construction) Shanghai Tower, which is twice as tall as anything in LA. 

I know these all seem pretty nitpicky, but they don't really "ruin" a scene for me, just take me out of it.

Well let's see.. Day After Tomorrow. Need I say any more?gas barrel explosions. We all know you can't blow up petrol tanks by shooting them, it looks satisfying though.Twilight - knowing that the their once was a day where vampire movies were violent and blood thirsty and not just turned into cry baby love icons, WHAT THE FUCK. To be fair, I turned it off after about half hour.Armageddon - well there were a lot of scientific inaccuracies but to be fair, it didn't stop me from enjoying it. I actually had fun trying to do the nasa challenge and spot all the inaccuracies, there were a lot haha.Elysium - knowing Eminem was suppose to have that role, would have been great to see.

Edited by Jessie

The way George Clooneys character in gravity dies... his relative velocity with respect to the space station was already reduced to zero and still something pulled him away... that kind of breaking physical rules for the sake of melodrama nearly killed the movie for me

• Like 1