14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Young Adult

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I think I laughed three times in the film, and I was the only one in the theater who even gave it that much respect. The entire movie was just an awkward mess; I was genuinely disappointed in all of my being with this movie. In the beginning, she's a selfish woman in her late 30s, and in the end, she's an even more selfish woman in her late 30s. Nothing is solved or concluded.The movie was entirely hatable, It's the kind of film that looks good on paper to Hollywood and all of their cronies, but to the rest of us, it's not funny, interesting, enjoyable or smart. It's just mean, void of humour and rather uncomfortable.Mavis isn't that great of a character for Theron; she's a one-note cartoon. But the hapless screenwriter has given her a secret "trauma," which is revealed 2/3 of the way into the movie, apparently as a way to explain her character or give her depth. This reveal didn't help, it just made the screenplay lazy and more preposterous. 3/10

Really enjoyed this film, even though I became really frustrated with Mavis during the end of the film. But it's hilarious in many parts, and Charlize Theron's performance is fantastic. Oh, baumer, at the end of the film, you can tell she's more aware of her problems and that she wants to overcome them.B+

It's a nice story about letting go of your past (warts and all) and moving on, but the movie doesn't come alive until the last half hour or so. Oswalt is the heart of the movie- I even prefer him to Theron- and gives another impressive dramatic performance. But it's easily forgettable. I know Reitman is above this. Cody, I'm not so sure...

Edited by Gopher

Oswalt was the best part of the movie, and when he is on screen, he is much more enjoyable. I thought he was written very well and portrayed very well. I enjoyed every part of his story down to his nerdiness with placing heads from one action figure onto the body of another. Without him, the movie would have been worse than it already was.

I think I laughed three times in the film, and I was the only one in the theater who even gave it that much respect. The entire movie was just an awkward mess; I was genuinely disappointed in all of my being with this movie. In the beginning, she's a selfish woman in her late 30s, and in the end, she's an even more selfish woman in her late 30s. Nothing is solved or concluded.The movie was entirely hatable, It's the kind of film that looks good on paper to Hollywood and all of their cronies, but to the rest of us, it's not funny, interesting, enjoyable or smart. It's just mean, void of humour and rather uncomfortable.Mavis isn't that great of a character for Theron; she's a one-note cartoon. But the hapless screenwriter has given her a secret "trauma," which is revealed 2/3 of the way into the movie, apparently as a way to explain her character or give her depth. This reveal didn't help, it just made the screenplay lazy and more preposterous.3/10

I think I'm going to like this movie.:P

God damnit, Gopher.

It's a pretty interesting story, and Oswalt/Theron give solid performances, but the development in everything just feels so minimal. The metaphor of the books representing her life came across as somewhat lame and cliched, as well. I know that she does want to change at the end, but other than that, it was just a decent movie, nothing more, and I probably won't really remember it in the long run.

B-

Hmm........well there were some good moments and some not so good moments. Charlize was great, Oswalt was pretty good, but there wasn't much juice other than that. The screenplay was good, but the story kind of didn't have a point. Not Reitman's best, but hardly terrible.B

A. I loved this film.Charlize's performance was incredible.Diablo Cody continues to be one of my favourite writers.Someone mentioned above that there was no resolution or conclusion or change. This was one of my favourite things.Personality can't be changed overnight, and I'm glad there wasnt a sappy hollywood revelation at the end.