Impact

Best Actor 2014 predictions!

We may have yet another possible contender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOi2x2mLZnY

I'd say the only thing he nailed in that movie was the look. Everything else looks pretty... generic, even if based on a true story. It seems really cheesy. Unless the trailers are VERY misleading, I wouldn't consider this a contender in anything.

• Like 1

I'd say the only thing he nailed in that movie was the look. Everything else looks pretty... generic, even if based on a true story. It seems really cheesy. Unless the trailers are VERY misleading, I wouldn't consider this a contender in anything.

I agree that the love story seems unnecessarily prominent but nailing the look is not something to be quickly dismissed. This is going to be a mimetic performance. Which the Academy loves. It's a biopic about a living legend. Which the Academy loves. And it's a man with a very serious disability. Which the Academy loves. As long as he stumbles, falls, crawls, drools and cries in pain, I think Redmayne is in a good position. Plus, I think it helps that the director has already had a series of well-received works and, with his documentaries, has already collected awards (including an Oscar).

Yeah, if the Academy took the bait that was Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close than they'll take the bait which is this.

They've been getting better, but it annoys me because they only like to nominate certain types of movies.  It's kind of annoying when they'll put in mediocre Oscar bait as a filler nom because they're apparently to good to nominate a franchise movie like Dawn of the Planet of the Apes or Skyfall.

I mean, I understand they'd never nominate a blockbuster in the style of the Avengers, but those two definitely qualified for a nom.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

He qualifies, but he's not gonna make it unfortunately.

Yeah, the academy has so many annoying bias' on what movies and people get nominated.

It does make me irritated that just because a movie didn't come out in the October-December time frame doesn't mean it can't be Oscar worthy.  That is going to be the bane to any major nominations for movies such as Grand Budapest Hotel, and possibly Boyhood.

I wish I saw the light and see what s so great about Hardy, he really does very little to me, there s something about his screen presence that I don t connect with.Boyhood will pass the ampas test, its narrative is way too strong to be forgotten when awards season comes.

• Like 1

I wish I saw the light and see what s so great about Hardy, he really does very little to me, there s something about his screen presence that I don t connect with.Boyhood will pass the ampas test, its narrative is way too strong to be forgotten when awards season comes.

Hardy's my favorite actor at the moment. He has a strong, competent, legitimate badass gravitas and charisma that most actors can't play. He's not the glamorous, red carpet darling who kills on talk shows. He's the guy who comes in and kicks ass as a strong, normal human being. 

Based on early world out of Toronto, Redmayne seems like a stone cold lock for a nomination as long as they don't consider him "too young." I'd even say he's the slightest of favorites to win it all. Seems to have stolen Cumberbatch's thunder in the "legendary troubled British scientist" face-off.