Impact

Best Actor 2014 predictions!

His character is waaay more sympathetic than those three, which helps more than it should, and there's a perceived level of difficultly to what he did. plus academy loves to award diseased characters and ALS is a disease they haven't covered yet.

True. Gary Cooper got nominated for The Pride of the Yankees for playing Lou Gehrig. Lost to James Cagney in Yankee Doodle Dandy.

I don't get Redmayne. I haven't seen the movie, but isn't winning the Oscar about the narrative? He has no narrative, unlike Keaton, Cooper, or even Carell. Whatevs

Keaton's character isn't real though. That like a deal breaker; basically anytime a fictional character that's gone up against a real character that had a real chance of winning, the fictional character lost. Meryl vs Viola, Penn vs Rourke. Even Brody vs Nicholson and DDL. I don't think Brody would've won if his character hadn't been a real one. 

And in a year when all the other winners are basically locked and are all fictional, the Academy has to reward a real person somewhere and it'll be here. I don't think four fictional characters have ever won? Or at least since the 1990s. Even in 2011 when we thought it was going to be Viola/Dujardin/Spencer/Plummer locked, we got Goddess instead. Redmayne in front, maybe and I stress a very small maybe Cooper. 

Redmayne's narrative is that he's playing a real character and has a real shot of winning over Keaton playing a fictional character. 

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 2

I get what Coolio is saying but IDK, it seems like Redmayne has the second weakest narrative after Cumberbatch (although Carell's win is the nomination, so I guess I'd put Redmayne in the middle of the pack.)

Just feels like Keaton or Cooper are more what the Academy would go for. That said, I think if Oyelowo was in this pack, I'd put him as the frontrunner thanks to the Selma snubs backlash

• Like 1

At least Redmayne won't win for that putrid sounding Tom Hooper movie next year I guess.

Isn't he playing transgendered? He could get caught up in the sweeep to seem progressive and be like oh so politically correct a la 12YAS last year.

• Like 1

At least Redmayne won't win for that putrid sounding Tom Hooper movie next year I guess.

Just looked up that movie. Oh God, now I'm hoping he wins this year so that way I don't have to deal with overly self-righteous speeches next year

• Like 1

It recently occurred to me that Redmayne's performance is essentially My Left Foot DDL lite....

Which I've seen comparisons too.

On a interesting note-the year DDL won the first time is the only time that the other 4 nominees seem to have the most excited reaction to someone winning. (Caught on camera that is)

• Like 3

I don't get it. Why are people hating on Redmayne? I mean you don't have to love his performance but he seems like a nice guy? 

I want him to win so bad just so all the Keaton fanboys can freak out. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

I don't really mind who wins, I haven't seen Birdman or The Theory of Everything. If I had to choose, I'd prefer Eddie Redmayne as I like the Oscars rewarding young actors, plus I know Stephen Hawking irl so I'm a bit biased. :P

I do think Redmayne will win though. I'm pretty confident about it. Golden Globes confirmed it for me.

Isn't he playing transgendered? He could get caught up in the sweeep to seem progressive and be like oh so politically correct a la 12YAS last year.

Political correctness aside, Hooper's films have won a bazillion awards, so it could just be a good film, you know?

Eddie Redmayne is a fantastic actor, hopefully he can do the character justice. And yes, he is playing a transgender girl. Jared Leto won for playing a trans woman last year so it could happen.

Does someone think that Cooper has a chance of winning? Indiewire says it will, but I think they're out of their mind.

If the film hadn't been as big a success as it is, I don't think he would have even a 1% chance. But a small chance is there.

• Like 2