Impact

Best Actress-2014 Predictions

The only way I could see Angelina Jolie getting a nod for Maleficent is if it gets above 85% RT, massive critical acclaim, a great box office run, and a really dire slate of Oscar contenders 

Yep, I said only if the reviews for entire movie are really good. As for dire awards season no. Academy knows they have to recognize big commercial success stories too and since they will never nominate this in Best Picture (even in expanded 10 field and with amazing reviews and box office), the next highest slot to 'acknowledge' it and reward would be Best Actress category. We've already seen this play out with Jack Sparrow role nomination.

• Like 1

Yep, I said only if the reviews for entire movie are really good. As for dire awards season no. Academy knows they have to recognize big commercial success stories too and since they will never nominate this in Best Picture (even in expanded 10 field and with amazing reviews and box office), the next highest slot to 'acknowledge' it and reward would be Best Actress category. We've already seen this play out with Jack Sparrow role nomination.

RDJ for Iron Man

Amy Adams for Enchanted

Will Ferrell for Elf

Ellen DeGeneres for Finding Nemo

Harrison Ford for the Star Wars OT and Raiders of the Lost Ark 

Andy Serkis for LOTR Trilogy, Rise of the Planet of the Apes 

Alan Rickman for Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 

Gary Oldman for Prisoner of Azkaban 

Robin Williams in Aladdin 

Zoe Saldana for Avatar 

Just because a role in a stellar blockbuster is acclaimed sadly doesn't mean an Oscar nod awaits  :mellow:

• Like 1

2 of your mentions are animated movies, out of the Best Actor/Actress field discussion basically. Another is CGI character which the Academy Farts are allergic to. Ford for Star Wars of course not, nostalgia is blinding you. Alec Guinness got nominated though. Zoe for Avatar? Lul what? And the Academy never liked Harry Potter for whatever reason, some fans thought they would "reward" the entire franchise on the last movie as they did with LOTR but that didn't happy.

RDJ, Adams and Will are good examples. But we also have Depp, Sigourney Weaver or Sandra Bullock who DID make it in.

• Like 1

2 of your mentions are animated movies, out of the Best Actor/Actress field discussion basically. Another is CGI character which the Academy Farts are allergic to. Ford for Star Wars of course not, nostalgia is blinding you. Alec Guinness got nominated though. Zoe for Avatar? Lul what? And the Academy never liked Harry Potter for whatever reason, some fans thought they would "reward" the entire franchise on the last movie as they did with LOTR but that didn't happy.

RDJ, Adams and Will are good examples. But we also have Depp, Sigourney Weaver or Sandra Bullock who DID make it in.

Gravity was a more grounded, mature sci-fi film, I'll give you Weaver though, but nods like that are diamonds in the rough,

Very rarely will a tentpole successfully get an acting nod. And you do realize Gollum was motion captured (as in Andy Serkis went on set and performed as Gollum while he did the voice?)... it's not just CGI

And people did think Zoe Saldana had an outside shot at getting a nod back when the Avatar hype was huge. I don't see why everyone expects anything other than a scenery-chewing villain from Jolie. It's a Disney film so I wouldn't expect much. Julie Andrews and Johnny Depp are the only two actors to have ever gotten an acting nomination for a non-Touchstone Disney film at the Oscars. James Baskett got an Honorary one so I'm not counting him 

I'm just saying full-fledged summer tentpoles (especially kids movies) almost never make it to the big categories (Acting, Directing, Screenplay, BP, etc) 

• Like 1

RDJ for Iron Man

Amy Adams for Enchanted

Will Ferrell for Elf

Ellen DeGeneres for Finding Nemo

Harrison Ford for the Star Wars OT and Raiders of the Lost Ark 

Andy Serkis for LOTR Trilogy, Rise of the Planet of the Apes 

Alan Rickman for Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 

Gary Oldman for Prisoner of Azkaban 

Robin Williams in Aladdin 

Zoe Saldana for Avatar 

Just because a role in a stellar blockbuster is acclaimed sadly doesn't mean an Oscar nod awaits  :mellow:

Lol, none of those are even close to Oscar level performances except for Andy Serkis in LotR.

• Like 2

Serena not getting a definite release date until now makes me think it's not that good. Hasn't it been completed for a loong time now? Same with Grace of Monaco.Hilary Swank and Annette Bening both have films competing for the Palme D' Or this year. Another showdown, perhaps?

Edited by eustacia
  • Like 1

Serena not getting a definite release date until now makes me think it's not that good. Hasn't it been completed for a loong time now? Same with Grace of Monaco.Hilary Swank and Annette Bening both have films competing for the Palme D' Or this year. Another showdown, perhaps?

Well kinda different. Serena's final cut is done and Grace's is not yet.
  • Like 1

Well kinda different. Serena's final cut is done and Grace's is not yet.

The long wait for these two films to be released makes me think that they're not the awards contender the producers hope they will be.  Grace of Monaco may be Diana 2.0.  Serena was completed in 2012...what's taking so long?

• Like 1

The long wait for these two films to be released makes me think that they're not the awards contender the producers hope they will be.  Grace of Monaco may be Diana 2.0.  Serena was completed in 2012...what's taking so long?

Serena is toxic. No one wants to touch it with a 10 foot pole. Grace of Monaco is taking a long time to be finished because Harvey and Dahan are apparently having creative differences, but everyone knows that the movie's crap and Harvey's trying his best to forget about it. 

• Like 1

Amy Adams - Big Eyes

Jessica Chastain - The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby

Jennifer Lawrence - Serena

Meryl Streep - Into the Woods

Reese Witherspoon - Wild

All the actresses that were nominated in 2013-2014??

I hope that does not happen!!!

Well, but unfortunately the Oscar does not pay attention to any other actresses lately, you probably right.

• Like 1

Amy Adams - Big Eyes

Cate Blanchett - Carol

Reese Withespoon - Wild

Rosamund Pike - Gone Girl

Jessica Chastain - The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby or A Most Violent Year

I might be mistaken, but I think Pike's role in Gone Girl will be more of a support role than main.

• Like 1

I might be mistaken, but I think Pike's role in Gone Girl will be more of a support role than main.

Without getting into further, spoilerific detail, you are indeed mistaken. It's definitely going to be a lead.
  • Like 1