Impact

Best Actress-2014 Predictions

After August Osage County I'm not inclined to take any "OMG Streep is so locked to win another one" predictions seriously ever again. Call me back when she collects at least as many critics' awards as Arquette, then maybe we'll talk.

Don't ever listen to people saying somebody's a lock to win until it's at the very least the end of December. People said Oprah was a lock to win supporting, and look what happened there.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 3

Don't ever listen to people saying somebody's a lock to win until it's at the very least the end of September.  

Yeah and even those cases should be exceptional in the vein of Julianne Moore this year. (This statement would look hilarious if she lost, but I'll stand by it). Most of the time people aren't locked until mid-to-late December at the earliest.

• Like 1

Now I'm entertaining myself at work by imagining these forums existing in the 1980s and 1990s and how every year Ric would show up and be all about how The Goddess is totally locked to win another Oscar, dammit. 

Music of the Heart is where she'll finally get another yo.

• Like 1

He's talking about Hope Springs here...

That movie was horrendous...

I wonder if riczhang thought Mamma Mia and Lemony Snicket were Oscar-caliber performances from Streep... just had a good feeling about those two  ;)

Seriously, it's so annoying to see her nominated every time she appears in anything. Even if it's a fairly average film (Devil Wears Prada, Julie and Julia, August: Osage County)... 

Pike's not winning. Buzz for Gone Girl has died down too much (the movie is definitely on the lower end of the "likely to be nominated for Best Picture" ranking at this point), and Moore is wildly overdue (and this year is weak enough to allow for someone as overdue as she is to win). For Pike, the nomination for bringing such a compellingly-written character to life will be her reward and that's it.

• Like 1

I'm starting to feel more and more like Pike can take this. I'm not sure Still Alice will have enough prowess to get Moore all the way.

Unanimous raved performance + due narrative ( 20 yo. + career in Hollywood) = oscah !

Don t see anyone or anything stopping that train.

• Like 2

Just watched Still Alice. Yeah, as long as voters watch their screeners I feel pretty sure Moore's got this.

Moore's probably got this even if they don't watch their screeners because there's enormous pressure and sense of dueness for Moore. And the narrative this year is really, 'This is her year.' I bet some people will vote for her whether or not they watch it. I honestly think it'll be that big of a year for Moore, a la Blanchett or Mirren. 

Edited by riczhang

Moore's probably got this even if they don't watch their screeners because there's enormous pressure and sense of dueness for Moore. And the narrative this year is really, 'This is her year.' I bet some people will vote for her whether or not they watch it. I honestly think it'll be that big of a year for Moore, a la Blanchett or Mirren. 

Hopefully. Like I said in another thread, the performance is so wow I'm totally ready to see her collect the next three months worth of awards.

• Like 1