Impact

Best Director-2014 Predictions!

I don't think we'll see Nolan in this category. He might deserve it for his past projects, so he might get in as some kind of pity nomination, but for Interstellar itself, I doubt it'll be possible. That is mainly because Cuaron already brought Science Fiction to another level with this technology... Interstellar doesn't sound like a project to take the next step, so as much as I hate saying this, Nolan's only nomination this year will be for Interstellar Best Picture Nomination, as producer.

I think as long as Unbroken is good (even if it's just Blind Side good) it'll get a picture and director nom, Jolie is to baity

No way. They would rather nominate her for Maleficent (even if reviews for Mal were bad and Unbroken good) than let her in for Best Director. They didn't even let Bigelow get second fully deserved nom. This is the most white-old-fart-dudes category :wacko:

Edited by BobbyJohn
  • Like 1

No way. They would rather nominate her for Maleficent (even if reviews for Mal were bad and Unbroken good) than let her in for Best Director. They didn't even let Bigelow get second fully deserved nom. This is the most white-old-fart-dudes category :wacko:

Maleficent reviews weren't bad it hasn't released yet and the trailer took huge reaction from fans!

• Like 1

If Jolie gets in, it's for Unbroken.And the academy has slowly been trending younger, but 2012 was a weird year for director noms (The Affleck snub, no Tarantino, no Bigelow), and I think it was the controversy behind ZDK not Bigelow (who won may I remind you).Jolie is the perfect person to be the second female director nod.

If Jolie gets in, it's for Unbroken.And the academy has slowly been trending younger, but 2012 was a weird year for director noms (The Affleck snub, no Tarantino, no Bigelow), and I think it was the controversy behind ZDK not Bigelow (who won may I remind you).Jolie is the perfect person to be the second female director nod.

She's barely on her 2nd movie, she's actress-turned-director AND she's a woman. I just can't see this happen, scoring Best Actress nod for fantasy Maleficent role seems more likely than people who actually vote in Best Director branch (reminder: a bunch of old, white dudes) letting her in. I can see Best Picture nom for Unbroken quite easily, but DIrector's gonna be extremly hard

Edited by BobbyJohn

(Even if her acting never won her any fans).

Well yeah, kinda important part. Especially since Jolie already won acting Oscar, then got nominated again. It is very hard to break out when the Academy says "no, you can't be THAT good in 2 things". Especially for a woman. None has done it. Men are much more likely to be seen as general 'man of film' = can be nominated in everything

Edited by BobbyJohn

As I said on the last page-very unlikely we get a 3rd year in a row of a bp/bd split for the reasons I've mentioned already.

(2012 was just a plain random year, and last year was almost as odd, but still 2012 was even more odd and it felt like a 1940s Oscars considering how split out it was)

My prediction - Fincher won't get in but PTA will. Inherent Vice may be a December movie but I fully expect it to premiere at either Cannes or Venice (more likely) and it will build a steady buzz leading up to its December release.

Well yeah, kinda important part. Especially since Jolie already won acting Oscar, then got nominated again. It is very hard to break out when the Academy says "no, you can't be THAT good in 2 things". Especially for a woman. None has done it. Men are much more likely to be seen as general 'man of film' = can be nominated in everything

I don't think the academy is as sexist as you are making them out to be.

The academy has been moving more towards going with the times, and that includes a woman director.  Honestly, Angelina Jolie for a directing nod would help draw an audience as well.

I also hope Grand Budapest Hotel can get a cinematography nod, it had fantastic cinematography.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to think Linklater will get a nomination here at the very least. The directorial achievement of Boyhood seems just way too self-evident (similarly to films like Mulholland Drive and United 93, both nominated in this category but not in any other). I wouldn't even rule out a win for him if Boyhood ends up popular enough with the Academy and gets nominated in other main categories. 

• Like 2