Impact

Best Director-2014 Predictions!

Fincher not having an Oscar in 2011 was wrong, Tom Hooper stole the Oscar that was rightfully his.

BBC movies director who directs BBC feel good telefilm wins over one of the few directors that deserve the genius title.Made me barf.I liked The King s speech, it was cute but come on, Fincher is the professor, Hooper is the slacking student, Les miserables direction with all its close up,wide shots was atrocious.
  • Like 2

I wish people actually put the films sometimes :P (Don't worry I've done that too)

The 2 current ones I see are:Jolie for UnbrokenFincher for Gone Girl

Other names:

Iñárritu for Reverent

Eastwood for Sniper (breaking the oldest director nod ever)

Miller for Foxcatcher

Some random indie and/or foreign guy for some random film :P

And again don't expect a BP/BD split-the last 2 years were just odd (last time it happened 2 years in a row was 1948/1949)

I would say David Ayer but his history is not so great-then again look at the director of Lone Survivors history before he did LS!

Edit: The Reverent comes out in 2015, it was Birdman you guys meant :P

(I would say Scott but not sure how the Oscars will treat it. I do think Robin Hood should of been nominated for something)

Edited by Impact
  • Like 1

Fincher not having an Oscar in 2011 was wrong, Tom Hooper stole the Oscar that was rightfully his.

Ficnher not having an Oscar in 2000 was wrong. Fight Club was easily more distinctive than American Beauty in terms of direction. But Fincher should have also won in 2011. 

1. David Fincher - Gone Girl (closer to Academy's wheelhouse and Fincher's overdue) 
  2. Christopher Nolan - Interstellar (overdue, but the sci-fi genre could hurt it)
  3. Angelina Jolie - Unbroken (likely to get a female director in the list, and it looks like Oscar bait) 
  4. Richard Linklater - Boyhood (film is too indie to win the category, sadly... especially since IFC probably doesn't have the funds to deliver a strong campaign) 
  5. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarrtu - Birdman (quirky, lesser known but Keaton's performance should give the film enough strength to get a nod) 

Bennett Miller and PTA being the runnerups for a nod. 

Edited by mahnamahna

I think people need to remember the academy has ever so slowly been progressing.

They nearly awarded Gravity BP last year, and they gave movies like Wolf and Her a strong number of nods.  I think Gone Girl should definitely be in.

Gravity winning BP would've been a travesty.  Not a bad movie, but Best Picture material? Just no.

• Like 3