Olive

Best Animated Feature-2014

Lower average, though. I don't know if I'd argue it should have won over Rango. But it definitely should have been nominated, along with Winnie the Pooh. (Poppy Hill I'm not sure about. I like it, but it's not top tier Ghibli. It also may not have been eligible in '11, but rather in '12.)

Which of these nominees would  have you kicked off to make way for Arthur Christmas and Pooh? :o

Rango      

Chico & Rita  

Puss in Boots

A Cat in Paris

Kung Fu Panda 2    

Which of these nominees would  have you kicked off to make way for Arthur Christmas and Pooh? :o

Rango      

Chico & Rita  

Puss in Boots

A Cat in Paris

Kung Fu Panda 2    

I haven't seen Chico & Rita or Puss in Boots, so I can't really comment on those. The critical consensus for C&R is pretty strong, though. PiB I'd probably drop for being a spinoff of Shrek. Of the others, I'd probably drop KFP2 before A Cat in Paris, leaving the lineup as:

Arthur Christmas

A Cat in Paris

Chico & Rita

Rango

Winnie the Pooh

• Like 1

Well, I've suffered through Puss in Boots and I can confirm that it had no business being nominated over Arthur Christmas. Or Pooh '11, though I haven't seen that one yet. Still, it couldn't be worse than PiB which was nearing Shrek the Turd levels of lazy cash grabbiness.

HTTYD2 will get a nod but it has three major hurdles that pretty much rule out a win1. First one didn't win - granted Toy Story 3 is tough competition, but when has a sequel ever won when the first one didn't? Animation wise, never. 2. Disappointing box office - Oscar voters sadly are more likely to vote for success stories. LEGO was a huge hit, HTTYD2 was a commercial disappointment. 3. Competition - way too many original films to compete with (LEGO, BH6, Song of Sun, Boxtrolls, Book of Life, etc)

HTTYD2 will get a nod but it has three major hurdles that pretty much rule out a win1. First one didn't win - granted Toy Story 3 is tough competition, but when has a sequel ever won when the first one didn't? Animation wise, never.

Please. This award category isn't even 15 years old. And how many Oscar-worthy animated sequels have been released during that time? Only four have ever been nominated (Shrek 2, Toy Story 3, KFP 2 and Despicable Me 2), and of those four, the one that deserved to win, won. If The Academy decides HTTYD2 deserves the win they'll give it to it.

Please. This award category isn't even 15 years old. And how many Oscar-worthy animated sequels have been released during that time? Only four have ever been nominated (Shrek 2, Toy Story 3, KFP 2 and Despicable Me 2), and of those four, the one that deserved to win, won. If The Academy decides HTTYD2 deserves the win they'll give it to it.

Most people who watched it would rank it as slightly below its predecessor (91% RT vs 98% RT). Toy Story 3 was a near masterpiece, a blockbuster, and a BP nominee (something HTTYD2 has no shot) along with Adapted Screenplay and Best Song. HTTYD2 is Shrek 2 great - about equal, maybe slightly below the first. I'd rank it above KFP2 and DM2. LEGO, The Boxtrolls and Big Hero 6 are major hurdles HTTYD2 would have to jump in order to win. Plus whichever fifth film gets nominated.I just don't see HTTYD2 winning the Oscar - the Annies are open though :) 1. LEGO (original, clever, blockbuster, dark horse Adapted Screenplay candidate, Best Song likely) 2. Big Hero 6 (Lots of goodwill from Frozen and WiR, later release date, looks to have more laughs than HTTYD2 without sacrificing heart)3. Boxtrolls (Laika has been due an Oscar since Coraline, can't see how this would significantly worse than their last two)4. HTTYD2 (DreamWorks is in a slump, a sequel, but still well received so a nod is locked. It's a dark horse to win though)5. Song of Sea HTTYD2 has a lot to overcome to win the gold. Toy Story 3 isn't really accurate as a comparison though considering it had the BP nod that HTTYD2 just won't get.