Olive

Best Animated Feature-2014

Big Hero 6Book of LifeThe BoxtrollsHow to Train You Dragon 2The Lego MovieOf course as a disney fan, I am rooting for BH6. But competition is incredibly tough this year (even with the absence of Pixar). I think this will be between Book of Life and Dragon if both delivers (and BH6 too lol)

Edited by Dingdong123
  • Like 1

It usually does though for the animated movies

Was that why Ernest and Celestine won last year's Oscars?

Or why Paranorman and Frankenweenie drew the year before?

Or why Rango won the year bef- okay, I'll give you that one.

• Like 1

Was that why Ernest and Celestine won last year's Oscars? Or why Paranorman and Frankenweenie drew the year before? Or why Rango won the year bef- okay, I'll give you that one.

The movie has to be somewhat popular as well for animated mvoies it seems box office popularity has a relationship with who gets the awards
  • Like 1

I think Dragon will reign supreme this year. BH6 looks interesting, though and it's apparently more of a drama than comedy, with rare action (and all of it are chases, typical disney). It's almost certainly not up to scale of HTTYD2, and I doubt anything will approach it in years to come. But I'm optimistic about BH6. 

I think disappointing BO may hurt HTTYD2's chances. This is one category where popularity and BO success are definitely factors, I think, probably because Academy voters are relatively clueless when it comes to critiquing animation.

Having said that, Lego's early release may hurt it equally as well, meaning level playing field? If one or more of The Boxtrolls, Book of Life and BH6 are superb knockouts, then I think one of them stands a good chance of stealing the win away from Lego and Dragon. 

Edited by Spidey Freak of Highgarden
  • Like 2

Having said that, Lego's early release may hurt it equally as well, meaning level playing field? If one or more of The Boxtrolls, Book of Life and BH6 are superb knockouts, then I think one of them stands a good chance of stealing the win away from Lego and Dragon. 

Not a problem. WB can bombard the voters with LEGO screeners, so it gets a nomination like what happened with the far less deserving Croods. ;)

• Like 1