Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Now using the list above... I wonder who these two are.

Monica-Wang-Photo-3.jpg

ENHANCE!

5tnlcxJ.png

My first thought is that they were Neytiri's children but as the male Na'vi on the right looks younger and Tuk is Ney's youngest child I think they must be Metkayina folk. Also the garbs they're wearing look new and it's almost as if they're wearing face paint on their forehead, points towards being from a new tribe.

Reya on the left.  "She is described as "graceful and strong" and "the young Neytiri of the ocean"

Aonung on the right. As he's the child of the head of the clan.

That's Neytiri on the left, no idea who's on the right (new character for sure). 

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I suppose the later ones will be various other kind of units. 

It's a shirt for the crew not the title of the sequel - The Marine Unit crew i.e.: water tank 

Edited by Deuce66

18 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Depends what you mean.

Having any creative control? No chance.

Making marketing decisions? Probably

Kind of both ... 

- Creative control?

Well, that depends on how is Disney gonna manage the Disney/Fox division. There's Disney/Pixar, Disney/Marvel, Disney/Lucasfilm, Walt Disney Animation Studio, Walt Disney Pictures... and Disney places somebody leading each os Disney's sub-divisions. I wonder if they will create a Disney/Fox sub-division, who would they place on the lead... Under which brand will they launch Avatar sequels? Walt Disney Pictures itself? A new Disney/Fox? And of course, Disney is gonna put the money for the Avatar production, so I have my doubts Cameron will have 101% control of it ... Disney will have its voice (that can be shared with Cameron's own vision, of course). 

- Marketing decision?

That's a no doubt. Disney, toys, videogames... there will be a huge blue marketing wave going, and a huge green wave coming into Disney's pockets at the same time. 

And also, since the 4 sequels kind of are gonna be a sure box office success ... will Disney expand the Avatar universe a la "Star Wars Story"? I say they will confirm those side-stories as soon as Avatar 2 blasts box office numbers in Christmas 2020. 

4 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Kind of both ... 

- Creative control?

Well, that depends on how is Disney gonna manage the Disney/Fox division. There's Disney/Pixar, Disney/Marvel, Disney/Lucasfilm, Walt Disney Animation Studio, Walt Disney Pictures... and Disney places somebody leading each os Disney's sub-divisions. I wonder if they will create a Disney/Fox sub-division, who would they place on the lead... Under which brand will they launch Avatar sequels? Walt Disney Pictures itself? A new Disney/Fox? And of course, Disney is gonna put the money for the Avatar production, so I have my doubts Cameron will have 101% control of it ... Disney will have its voice (that can be shared with Cameron's own vision, of course). 

- Marketing decision?

That's a no doubt. Disney, toys, videogames... there will be a huge blue marketing wave going, and a huge green wave coming into Disney's pockets at the same time. 

And also, since the 4 sequels kind of are gonna be a sure box office success ... will Disney expand the Avatar universe a la "Star Wars Story"? I say they will confirm those side-stories as soon as Avatar 2 blasts box office numbers in Christmas 2020. 

You should erase those doubts about creative control, he owns the IP.

Right now Disney shares profits for the Avatar World park with Jim, as he owns Avatar!

Jim has no voice to share with Disney, he'll listen to what they have to say but what is in the film will be his choice.

They'll have to buy the Avatar brand off Jim if they want to make more films afterwards. Or they'll have to get Jims  permission to use the IP, then give him a big share of the profits.

Think George Lucas and Star Wars.

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You should erase those doubts about creative control, he owns the IP.

Right now Disney shares profits for the Avatar World park with Jim, as he owns Avatar!

Jim has no voice to share with Disney, he'll listen to what they have to say but what is in the film will be his choice.

They'll have to buy the Avatar brand off Jim if they want to make more films afterwards. Or they'll have to get Jims  permission to use the IP, then give him a big share of the profits.

Think George Lucas and Star Wars.

I heard something of Cameron owning the Avatar IP, but I don't know how it works exactly or how was the deal he had with Fox. So, if Cameron wants, he can take Avatar brand to WB or Universal? I honestly have no idea how the Cameron-Avatar-Fox deal was and how will it be transferred to Disney. 

Just now, meriodejaneiro said:

I heard something of Cameron owning the Avatar IP, but I don't know how it works exactly or how was the deal he had with Fox. So, if Cameron wants, he can take Avatar brand to WB or Universal? I honestly have no idea how the Cameron-Avatar-Fox deal was and how will it be transferred to Disney. 

We don't have the details of the contracts signed but whatever Jim signed with Fox is now owned by Disney.

We know Fox provided around $1b for the 4 sequels so Disney will now reap the rewards of that deal and take over as distributors.

After the 4 films are done and dusted he could change production companies.

I would LOVE to see the contract details but we'll never see it. I imagine he would have been in a power position so he could have made a ridiculouslly favourable deal.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

We don't have the details of the contracts signed but whatever Jim signed with Fox is now owned by Disney.

We know Fox provided around $1b for the 4 sequels so Disney will now reap the rewards of that deal and take over as distributors.

After the 4 films are done and dusted he could change production companies.

I would LOVE to see the contract details but we'll never see it. I imagine he would have been in a power position so he could have made a ridiculouslly favourable deal.

Well, Disney could offer him the lead on a Disney/Avatar sub-brand, ala Kathleen Kennedy & Lucasfilm, so he can develop the Avatar universe after the 4 sequels as creative director of some side-stories directed by others while he focuses on continuing the Avatar main saga (6 and onwards), while others direct the side-stories following his creative instructions. 

Edited by meriodejaneiro
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Well, Disney could offer him the lead on a Disney/Avatar sub-brand, ala Kathleen Kennedy & Lucasfilm, so he can develop the Avatar universe after the 4 sequels as creative creator of some side-stories directed by others while he focuses on continuing the Avatar 6 onward main saga, while other do the side-stories following his creative indications. 

I think he's going to be done with filmmaking after Avatar 5, he's an explorer at heart. For this reason I think he will maybe allow someone else to continue it, probably never an Avatar 6 though. I think Avatar sequels going to be crazy and not really set itself up for a 6th.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Didn't Jim go to Disney for the first movie after Fox initially rejected it?

Yeah lol. Fox changed their mind when Disney were interested.

Edited by IronJimbo

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

I think he's going to be done with filmmaking after Avatar 5, he's an explorer at heart. For this reason I think he will maybe allow someone else to continue it, probably never an Avatar 6 though. I think Avatar sequels going to be crazy and not really set itself up for a 6th.

wondering how old he is and how old he would be after avatar 5 releases on 2025 ... i found out his birthday is next thursday. He turns 64. So by 2025 he will be 71. Too old for big budgeted mega productions? 

8 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

wondering how old he is and how old he would be after avatar 5 releases on 2025 ... i found out his birthday is next thursday. He turns 64. So by 2025 he will be 71. Too old for big budgeted mega productions? 

He won't be resting anytime soon. The nutter want be stopped by old age.

It's possible he could direct more movies and more possible he would take a producing role.

As of now from what I've read he's going to spend his Avatar sequel money on more deep sea exploration which could take up the rest of his days. He's also big on enviromentalism and could spend his time trying to make pushes in that area.

He told RR he won't be directing Alita because he's done after Avatar.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

Landau doesn't reveal much new information in this recent interview except to confirm that all 4 sequels will be taking place on Pandora, no other moons involved. Also some of the creatures that show up in the Flight of Passage will make an appearance. That's it for now from the Manhattan Project of movie productions. 

https://insidethemagic.net/2018/08/interview-avatar-film-producer-jon-landau-talks-sequels-pandora-the-world-of-avatar-at-walt-disney-world/

• Like 1