Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

There is no "full view of the universe". As far as we know all that is sentient is here on Earth. Jim has dominated all that is known and for all time that is known.  Your thought experiment falls flat as it almost tends towards some kind of pantheism. To anthropomorphise the universe seems far too much of a leap of intellect even for me. We barely understand our own world, never mind everything else.   

Is deification of anything not odd? I mean I can understand worshiping the Sun, it gives life, for some people Jim gives us an ideal to strive towards, and for others he even gives them meaning, I don't see anything very strange about deifying those things. 

You’re right, there is no full view of the universe because the universe is too massive and expansive to have a full view of it.  That doesn’t change the fact that humans are rather insignificant.

And you interpreted pantheism from my statement, but it holds true from whatever philosophy you choose to look at if you use the known facts about our universe.  For example, if your armspan represented all of Earth’s geological history on a timeline and you then slightly filed your nails, you would have erased all of human history (and that then ignores the rest of the universe).

Even if all that is sentient was on Earth, it doesn’t take away the temporariness, the fact that achievement and success are relative (as they are all ultimately erased), and that James Cameron is no different than any other celebrity from history who people idolized and later forgot after their deaths.

It’s like the Ozymandias poem

”I met a traveller from an antique land,

Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;

And on the pedestal, these words appear:

My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.””

You can deify Cameron all you want, but he’s as mortal and human as everyone else, and like the rest of us, all of his life works will one day be erased (whether it be forgotten, outdone by the achievement of somebody else later, destruction of humanity from a natural or man made disaster, heat death of the universe).

18 minutes ago, PANDA said:

That doesn’t change the fact that humans are rather insignificant.

Significance is itself relative, what I'm saying is that only through the scope of humanity and language that you can even signify significance. I'm probably biased as a Theravada Buddhist (and ethnic Jew), but our very idea of very human transience is itself transient and  wholly contingent on the human race, without us there is no meaning, no universe, even the concept of mattering ceases to matter. 

I personally find him more worthy deification than most people, although agree on the point that it is itself irrational. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Significance is itself relative, what I'm saying is that only through the scope of humanity and language that you can even signify significance. I'm probably biased as a Theravada Buddhist (and ethnic Jew), but our very idea of very human transience is itself transient and  wholly contingent on the human race, without us there is no meaning, no universe, even the concept of mattering ceases to matter. 

I personally find him more worthy deification than most people, although agree on the point that it is itself irrational. 

I’m an agnostic theist/jack Mormon myself and I feel the same way.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Heard from a good friend the NDA on this is thicker than your torso. 

I would love to read a copy of that document especially the section on penalties for failing to keep one's mouth shut or fingers from posting spoiler material online. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AndyK said:

With the timescale on release for this, I presume they are shooting all the movies in one go ?

2&3 are in production right now and the performance capture has been completed and they're currently filming the live action for them both. Then 2020 is A2 then 2021 is A3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

2&3 are in production right now and the performance capture has been completed and they're currently filming the live action for them both. Then 2020 is A2 then 2021 is A3.

Are you sure they've started live action, I thought most of that work was being done in New Zealand starting Jan 2019. 

• Astonished 1

14 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

Are you sure they've started live action, I thought most of that work was being done in New Zealand starting Jan 2019. 

They have started live action. 100%. 

13 hours ago, Valonqar said:

these movies are actually happening? :mouthdropped:

Nothing stops Jim. 

• Like 2

The superhero movies – characters that were invented by Jack Kirby in the 1960s or earlier – I have great love for those characters as they were to me when I was a 13-year-old boy. They were brilliantly designed and created characters. But they were for 50 years ago. I think this century needs, deserves, its own culture. It deserves artists that are actually going to attempt to say things that are relevant to the times we are actually living in. 

Always read this and think of Avatar. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The superhero movies – characters that were invented by Jack Kirby in the 1960s or earlier – I have great love for those characters as they were to me when I was a 13-year-old boy. They were brilliantly designed and created characters. But they were for 50 years ago. I think this century needs, deserves, its own culture. It deserves artists that are actually going to attempt to say things that are relevant to the times we are actually living in. 

Always read this and think of Avatar. 

love this quote so much

• Like 1