Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I still don't understand the feeling of this tread, like, lol, watch Cameron failing big time for the first time.

Down, donw  down down down, the sequels are going down except overseas because American audiences won't fall in the trap that Cameron is cooking, AMericans are way too clever for that.

It seems personal to a lot of you people.

Cameron did something to you ?

Still have nightmares about the Na 'vis ?

Be brave.

Wow--just WOW, if ever there was an example of inserting one's own insecurities, assumptions or BS into something this would have to be the example.

Wrong

Then why people keep on insisting the movie will go down a lot in the USA but will still make tons of money overseas.

What s the reasonning behind this, I am genuily interested.

Maybe I assumed wrong.

Edited by The Futurist

The NA market is stagnant right now, and it's unlikely to change much in the next 2+ years. Even if everyone who sees Avatar 2 loves it, there's a ceiling for sequels. Everyone saw Avatar out of curiosity, but not everyone will have liked the film and be very motivated to see the sequels. The same thing happened with Star Wars and the Raimi Spider-Man and is sure to happen with Avengers.

• Like 1

Then why people keep on insisting the movie will go down a lot in the USA but will still make tons of money overseas.

What s the reasonning behind this, I am genuily interested.

Maybe I assumed wrong.

Other than it being a flashy feast of eye candy Avatar was a fairly bland movie full of really bad tropes.

In the "real world" I've actually inserted Avatar into a few discussions with co-workers, at both my jobs, and the anecdotal feeling is Meh, it was alright to it was pretty bad, except for the visuals. 

Online that sentiment is 100x greater. The rose colored glasses are gone and Avatar's time on DVD/BR has made clear to people it's really not that good. Ergo, domestic drop. Increase overseas cause those markets are still expanding. 

• Like 1

The NA market is stagnant right now, and it's unlikely to change much in the next 2+ years. Even if everyone who sees Avatar 2 loves it, there's a ceiling for sequels. Everyone saw Avatar out of curiosity, but not everyone will have liked the film and be very motivated to see the sequels.

Really? Just like everyone saw Titanic because of Leo (or because of the special effects...or because of the hype...)?

Funny, whenever Cameron does what he does so well, some people don't want to admit that maybe, just maybe, lots of people saw his films just because the product was solid...it's always curiousity, Leo, shiny colors, 3D, hype, whatever...never the film itself... :)

Edited by cochofles

The NA market is stagnant right now, and it's unlikely to change much in the next 2+ years. Even if everyone who sees Avatar 2 loves it, there's a ceiling for sequels. Everyone saw Avatar out of curiosity, but not everyone will have liked the film and be very motivated to see the sequels. New fans can make up for those that left. The same thing happened with Star Wars and the Raimi Spider-Man and is sure to happen with Avengers.

By 2017 the ceiling could be broke.

JL1

GOTG2

TS4

TI2?

Other than it being a flashy feast of eye candy Avatar was a fairly bland movie full of really bad tropes.

In the "real world" I've actually inserted Avatar into a few discussions with co-workers, at both my jobs, and the anecdotal feeling is Meh, it was alright to it was pretty bad, except for the visuals. 

Online that sentiment is 100x greater. The rose colored glasses are gone and Avatar's time on DVD/BR has made clear to people it's really not that good. Ergo, domestic drop. Increase overseas cause those markets are still expanding. 

lol A movie doesn't make 2.7B for just being eye candy. Still meh, not what is Avatar, come 2017 those meh's will be December can't come soon enough.

• Like 3