Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

My best friend kindly reminded me this weekend of something I had totally forgotten about: I was quoted by the NY Times for Avatar Day back in August '09. Honestly, the footage impressed my friend and I enough that we bought opening night tickets right after. According to the Times, we were "receptive, but not blown away." I actually laughed when I read my quote at the end of the article. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/22/movies/22avatar.html?_r=1

Edited by RichWS
  • Like 3

My best friend kindly reminded me this weekend of something I had totally forgotten about: I was quoted by the NY Times for Avatar Day back in August '09. Honestly, the footage impressed my friend and I enough that we bought opening night tickets right after.

According to the Times, we were "receptive, but not blown away." I actually laughed when I read my quote at the end of the article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/22/movies/22avatar.html?_r=1

Mr. Sullivan, however, was sold. “I’ll probably just go buy my ticket now,” he said. “Why not?”

Indeed.

James Cameron and Dark Horse Announce Avatar Comics!

http://www.comingsoon.net/extras/news/621143-james-cameron-and-dark-horse-announce-avatar-comics

“I’m excited that starting now, even before the release of the first sequel, Dark Horse Comics will be bringing you new adventures from Pandora,” Cameron reveal. “Covering the time before, during, and after the events of the original Avatar film. For the past 27 years, Dark Horse has been associated with my films The Terminator, Aliens, and The Abyss. Now they’re working directly with me and our team at Lightstorm in an unprecedented ten-year partnership that’s going to create new stories that will take you deeper into the world of Avatar.”

275725.jpg

only the beginning of avatar dominance kayom buddy!

Even some of his non Cameron Work was great.

Just listen to this Serpent and The Rainbow opening music, sends chills down my neck.

Or on the reserve side, the ending music for The Accused. Poignant!

omg fancy that sample took me back. Damn i had no idea his scoring was in the accused. Its not a jump out at you score like say true lies or terminator, but very powerful on emotion and quiet angst indeed. Where is our jodi foster that pulled off this legendary role..i hope she makes a big comeback. Shes in my top 5 most talented female actresses of all time kayom

Is there much good will for the first Avatar? I haven't met a single person who spoke well of it in the years since its release.

lol you dont know alot of people. Film has a near 60

Mil strong fanpage on fb, has won over 50 film awards including best picture at the golden globes and was cheated at the Oscars pnly because they wanted to give camerons wife the first female director award

Surely you jest lol. Folks are expecting 2.5 - 4b plus ww for the sequel. I love delusional haters lol. Fan support and suicides all over the world connected to they cant experience pandora until the sequel say for itself the impact of avatar

If your watching a big 3d movie or advanced motion capture it all began with the best at the game. James cameronss avatar1 baby. Expect to see his name,on the all time list again.Top all time domestic and ww . amen

this sequel could make half what the first movie made in USA, but it will still be making huge bank overseas...at what point is this delayed past 2017?[/quote

Mil fb fanpage and jc being the worlds most loved director says its definitely not going to make half of the first domestically

More like 650-900 range

Os omg 2-3

B plus is not out of the question

Freaking scary how anticipated this film is

Its going to break james bond in two in uk. Make 200-600 plus million in multiple countries

Omg. its still on schedule for 2017 dec

And rem we films back to back. So its worth the wait for jc to amaze us again. Rem what t2 did for the,movie business and how far extraordinary the film was over its predecessor. This is why the world comes.

but you assuming the movie is good, what if it universally hated, could happen, as Cameron is due for a terrible movie

lol true, but cameron isnt old, hes not settling like speilberg, hes daring to still push the envelope and go beyond the mere concept of atypical film journey. His film avatar actually triggers sense memory and other measurable factors ryan that only happen when yu have visited a real place. Read up ob avatar experience under a microscope. This is when you watch the best version featuriinf the audio and digital 3d cameron made it to be watched in with his breakthroughs with steroscopic 3d and sound. Just amazing. Never seen a movie in my 20 plus years from jc that wasnt awesome. Even piranha 2 ..lol his first had some coool moments. When its jc directing and hes letting the writers of the apes films share in the fun , as the sequels are too grand to do by himself, you know its not going to suck.

What percentage does everyone think avatar 2 will break the 800 m domestic threshold, also the potential 900 m domestic threshold is in sight as well.

How about the os potential. Avtr 2 will make 500-700 mil in china alone, likely 200-350 m in japan or more. 3b plus os is possible if we get rhe highend run os. Share yur thoughts. Avtr 1 an original film made 2 bplus os in 300-700% smaller market os.. Really scary thinking what those , terminatot2, abyss, aliens, titanic, avtr fans are goibg to put out in ticket sales. I think sws and,jp 4 are going to get beat by over 2b gap. Wow

I don't think Avatar 2 can reach the heights of the first one. The 2009 movie was just an anomaly never seen before. People don't really care enough for the characters/setting/actual movie after the 6 years which passed to propel the other installments to abnormal high boxoffice revenues.

• Like 2

I don't think Avatar 2 can reach the heights of the first one. The 2009 movie was just an anomaly never seen before. People don't really care enough for the characters/setting/actual movie after the 6 years which passed to propel the other installments to abnormal high boxoffice revenues.

Well, this person cares. I may have loved the visuals, but I've always said it: I was first and foremost emotionally invested in the characters and their story. Otherwise, I would not have cared enough to watch the film five times in theatres.

• Like 1

Well, this person cares. I may have loved the visuals, but I've always said it: I was first and foremost emotionally invested in the characters and their story. Otherwise, I would not have cared enough to watch the film five times in theatres.

Same reason I only watched it once. Characters were so basic and calculated it was painful. Cameron should be directing these flicks but not writing them in ideal scenario.

Same reason I only watched it once. Characters were so basic and calculated it was painful. Cameron should be directing these flicks but not writing them in ideal scenario.

Good thing that opinions are never universal fact. Your opinion is that the characters were “basic and calculated” while my opinion is that they were relateable and emotionally resonant. Cameron knows how to create characters that will touch audiences, and he did it with at least this member of the audience.