Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

17 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Fans of SW E4: ANH have no business calling AVATAR unoriginal when everyone knows how much Lucas borrowed from plenty of other sources. And fans of TFA certainly have no business calling AVATAR unoriginal when TFA is pretty much a remake of ANH

To be fair, every work of literature in present days pulls from something. The originality, comes down to what people take out of said work. Star Wars, Avatar, and what-not are no different in this regard. 

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2015, 6:57:39, DlAMONDZ said:

Of course it doesn't. It makes what Avatar did all that more impressive

Trust me in the real world the general audience ain't impressed on this sws as they were for titanic and avatar.  And sws may not beat jpworld. Typical pattern.  Huge opening thanks to the original cast. Fans and general audiences aren't impressed domestic and os and film fades out fast.  Funny if sws falls short of avengers 1  domestically and os

3 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

To be fair, every work of literature in present days pulls from something. The originality, comes down to what people take out of said work. Star Wars, Avatar, and what-not are no different in this regard. 

this is the point I get from Cochofles' post, fairness. regarding "originality," no blockbuster films are really different, so behind the seemingly objective criticism is but simple personal preference of the brands. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, teardropmina said:

this is the point I get from Cochofles' post, fairness. regarding "originality," no blockbuster films are really different, so behind the seemingly objective criticism is but simple personal preference of the brands. 

Yup. Star Wars may have pulled influences from Flash Gordon and Kurosawa, but it feels so fresh when I watch it, that to me it practically feels like an original movie, even though technically it's not. 

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

On 12/19/2015, 6:27:02, vc2002 said:

Avatar's DOM record is gone with the 130m OD, the holiday legs and the excellent reception.

WW it's another story of cause. OS TFA needs to make 800-900m more than JW to get the WW record. Keep in mind that OS dinos were just as popular as Jedis, and also, the SW franchise never had a very high OS/DOM (boxoffice) ratio. JW's OS/DOM ratio 1.55 should be a good comparison for SW7 and the breakdown would be

SW7

DOM 800m -> OS 1240m -> WW 2.04BN

DOM 900m -> OS 1400m -> WW 2.30BN

DOM 1000m -> OS 1500m -> WW 2.55BN

So I think Avatar will keep the WW record. And I couldn't wait for the flame wars on which record is more important.:apocalypse:

As has mixed wom.  Fan sites popping up to boycott the film as well.  Beat Avatar domestically lol.  You got high hopes with it making 229-238m and so much of the general audience not showing up for repeat business VC. Avatar 2 is going to ko was7

My predicted 638m in and 1.5b ww

I think the run of titanic will always be the world's greatest feat in the movie business.  Never have I seen anything like it so loved,  dominated awards,  music, sfx, story, acting, awesome power.  It's like the world stood still and forgot it problems for months upon months. I salute it James Cameron, James hornet,  casting and film crew.  OMG.  Welllll stay forever this wayyyyyy and I know the heart willll good one onnn

17 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Yup. Star Wars may have pulled influences from Flash Gordon and Kurosawa, but it feels so fresh when I watch it, that to me it practically feels like an original movie, even though technically it's not. 

if only ANH were the only SW movies. we need to take time frame into consideration. the 70s is the era of cinema revolution, revolts, innovations; the 50-60s European cinema started it, but the movement exploded everywhere in the 70s. ANH is a important piece of that American new wave. 

let's compare anything post-2000...very few high budget movies are high in fresh meter.  

Edited by teardropmina

42 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

As has mixed wom.  Fan sites popping up to boycott the film as well.  Beat Avatar domestically lol.  You got high hopes with it making 229-238m and so much of the general audience not showing up for repeat business VC. Avatar 2 is going to ko was7

Haha, so delusional.

• Like 3

On 21-12-2015 05:40:44, Kalel009Shel said:

I think you might want to reconsider your predictons, it's over 325M afther 5 days :D and almost at 500M afther this weekend (maybe even more)  ^^

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 2

On 12/20/2015, 10:27:14, Kalel009Shel said:

Amen cocobaby and guess what was with all the hype of 270-300m opening only beat jpwrld by a measly 24-30m and it ran all day had more screens and is 40mins shorter lol.  And area wom is mixed and jpwrld more satisfying.  Haha I see big drops Cocho.  No Avatar,  no titanic domestic and no jpworld ass kicking happening.  Lol is a copy of over 6 films.  So I agree it's idiotic to try and say its more original than Avatar1 or terminator. Where bkb and the Darth fellows at

The meltdown... It's beginning...

14 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Cameron recently spoke to the Montreal Gazzette saying they were hoping to begin production in early 2016. Finally happening, perhaps?

Yeah he seems set on the December 2017 release date. I would prefer that Disney impose Star Wars as a yearly Christmas tradition but I guess Cameron is still frightening and you shouldn't bet against him (and they have technically not set a SW against a presumed Avatar release for now so they don't back out).

Edited by Shaldun

TFA will be the domestic champ, but Titanic will have a lot more ticket sales and so will Avatar just, Avatar will also remain the WW champ, no question. The only question is whether Titanic will hold number 2 WW. I suspect not, but tickets sold.... Easy win.

Edited by GirafficPark

52 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

TFA will be the domestic champ, but Titanic will have a lot more ticket sales and so will Avatar just, Avatar will also remain the WW champ, no question. The only question is whether Titanic will hold number 2 WW. I suspect not, but tickets sold.... Easy win.

TFA has probably a lower 3D share than Avatar though so if it earn like 150-200M$ more, it still won't beat Avatar's admissions (domestic) ?