Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

5 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

No it's not.  Jpworld will beat was forced awakens by a nice gap.  If force can't go deep into 800m territory and then it's only avengers levels os.  Jpworld wins the year.  Very interesting race.  

You think jurassic world will beat TFA worldwide this year?

10 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

The title should totally be changed to 2avtr. I love you Kal bud.

Lots of love back dissed.  Let our fellow Jedi's have their moment of Glory. Avtr2 Lotr and sws slayer is just around the corner.  Crazy too that jpw is still in it for king of the year.  Can sws win over China,  sk, Australia, Japan etc.  And have legs to best avtr domestic by some big margin.  Lol.  It's god fearing to think avtr did this in far far far smaller market overseas and smaller domestically too.  Juggernaut 2 in the same realm as sws and jpw in tcs dom and os is a dream come true.  The earth will open,  the angels will weep.  Bowels of Satan will boil and you shall truly yield to the world breaker for third time in a row.  Worlds first 4billion plus from bo alone imminent?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Lots of love back dissed.  Let our fellow Jedi's have their moment of Glory. Avtr2 Lotr and sws slayer is just around the corner.  Crazy too that jpw is still in it for king of the year.  Can sws win over China,  sk, Australia, Japan etc.  And have legs to best avtr domestic by some big margin.  Lol.  It's god fearing to think avtr did this in far far far smaller market overseas and smaller domestically too.  Juggernaut 2 in the same realm as sws and jpw in tcs dom and os is a dream come true.  The earth will open,  the angels will weep.  Bowels of Satan will boil and you shall truly yield to the world breaker for third time in a row.  Worlds first 4billion plus from bo alone imminent?

James Cameron's new Avatar trilogy after Star Wars is through with it.

maxresdefault.jpg 

• Like 2

I have to admit that I was one of those who got a little depressed after watching Avatar. Call me a loser or "mentally ill" ( a term that should never be used as an insult anyway), but the world that Cameron created and the love story between Neytiri and Jake was so immersively beautiful that I kind of got Pandora/Neytiri/Jake withdrawals as soon as I got out of the theatre. In fact, I went to see the film in theatres probably...five or six times. No kidding...I felt like an experience like that  was worth it. I truly look forward to god back to Pandora...

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

I saw it four times in theaters. You had to experience it on a big screen as many times as you could. Though for my money it still looks damn good on the small screen.

I agree.

I hope they re-release it when the sequel opens. I am so ready to watch it on the big screen again...

I think a lot of people in this thread mistook the screenwriter's job as the moviedirector's. Storytelling is how the story is delivered, and that's mostly the director's job, and like Tele said, he's shown his storytelling ability in all his works.

I personally think that Cameron wouldn't receive half of backlash he got if someone else wrote Avatar. Yes the dialogue was sometimes awkward, the character was weak, but as a director he did the 10/10 work on the movie. Avatar is practically grand-scale storytelling 101 in terms of how to set up the tight structure (so that not one line or scene gets wasted everything gets paid off when the big moments come, yeah I'm talking about the terrible structure in JW which seriously is the opposite example) , how to pay attention to every single little detail so that the world of Pandora, even tho with all kinds of weird creatures, still looks vivid (which I can give you a few examples: that 1 second money-like creature shot, how Navis hold bowstring with the hand downwords, how Jake's navi body has the more human-like muscles and also 5 fingers each hand.), and of cause how to both wow you and keep you tight in the story in the last 30 minutes epic battle like he always does (Watching Avatar I indeed thought he was a bit rusted for not directing a feafure film in 12 years, but that last 30 minutes showed that he's still second to none when it comes to action).

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vc2002 said:

I think a lot of people in this thread mistook the screenwriter's job as the moviedirector's. Storytelling is how the story is delivered, and that's mostly the director's job, and like Tele said, he's shown his storytelling ability in all his works.

I personally think that Cameron would't receive half of backlash he got if someone else wrote Avatar. Yes the dialogue was sometimes awkward, the character was weak, but as a director he did the 10/10 work on the movie. Avatar is practically grand-scale storytelling 101 in terms of how to set up the tight structure (so that not one line or scene gets wasted everything gets paid off when the big moments come, yeah I'm talking about JW which seriously is the opposite example)...

Remember Zara's death in Jurassic World? That right there is a scene that had no reason for being. It's an egregious example of the kind of pointless movie moment that Cameron has no patience for. As visually splendid as Cameron's films are, his released films never feature scenes that look cool just for the sake of looking cool.

• Like 1

Just now, Cochofles said:

Remember Zara's death in Jurassic World? That right there is a scene that had no reason for being. It's an egregious example of the kind of pointless movie moment that Cameron has no patience for. As visually splendid as Cameron's films are, his released films never feature scenes that look cool just for the sake of looking cool.

that shit had everybody at my screening like "damn what did she DO?!?!"

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

That's why I said JW is an oppesite example.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Disagree. I fell like Avatae has a lot of pointless scenes  

38 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Zara's death did have a point even if it wasn't a particularly good one: A way to write out a character of marginal importance so they don't distract from the ones the movie is really interested in. She's essentially the movie's redshirt

That makes no sense. You don't have to kill her in such a spectacular manner to do that. In fact, her death could've been off screen or more generic, and that alleged point could've been made.

19 hours ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I think he's shown great storytelling ability in every single one of his movies.

That all-time classic, Piranha 2.

20 hours ago, The Panda Menace said:

James Cameron's new Avatar trilogy after Star Wars is through with it.

maxresdefault.jpg 

Hardly. Even if every forthcoming Star Wars film outgrosses every forthcoming Avatar film, it's not like that makes Avatar a failure. 

People overstate these competitions. 

• Like 1