Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

4 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

What I'm stating is there is very little of an Avatar fandom. 

And those fandoms are huge, but when the properties got exchanged to different directors or bad word of mouth got out about those movies, the excitement dropped and people went back to the originals. No one was going to support Genisys because of how terrible it looked right off the bat, people were already pissed about the PG-13 rating of T3 and the dullness of Salvation. 

Prometheus was not an Alien sequel, but those diminished in quality after Aliens. And the upcoming Aliens sequel that is coming is already generating a ton of buzz but I already don't have a ton of faith in it's director after Chappie, as cool as the concept art looks.

When people dress up as those characters it's not from the later sequels, it's from the iconic ones. I've never seen Avatar have that sort of reach in pop culture. It was there and then it was forgotten.

First, how can you even say AVATAR has very little fandom? Personal opinion?

Second, you said it yourself, directors really matter so what is the problem here? Cameron is still the director.

Third, I don't know about you but I have seen people wear Avatar costumes in cosplays, even Christmas parties. There were stage plays inspired by it, and guess what it's getting a Disney Theme Park in 2017, perfect time for the sequel's release.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Kal, you need to donate if you want to see this forums alive in December 2017.

Will do buddy message me donate link.  Baumer and company are beyond delusional thinking are sequels won't blow awaken away.  Lol.   Now avtr gets the huge screens and 3 do push all day.  Suicides related to avatar,  the big 3d comeback, clans in the tension of thousands living the navii way with a freaking movie language.  The only thing fox and can need to figure  out is how to make TV shows and tons of toys on sws and marvel level.  And marvel is Disney's most covered franchise and Pixar not sws

2 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Will do buddy message me donate link.  Baumer and company are beyond delusional thinking are sequels won't blow awaken away.  Lol.   Now avtr gets the huge screens and 3 do push all day.  Suicides related to avatar,  the big 3d comeback, clans in the tension of thousands living the navii way with a freaking movie language.  The only thing fox and can need to figure  out is how to make TV shows and tons of toys on sws and marvel level.  And marvel is Disney's most covered franchise and Pixar not sws

Here! http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/store/

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Are you equating box office potential to pop culture influence? That argument is flawed.

It might be but where is the anticipation for these movies like a new Star Wars, Marvel movie, DC movie, Harry Potter, etc. For such a huge movie, it was forgotten about very quickly. There isn't really a strong fanbase. That was the point I was making.

Now it's still James Cameron and his name alone holds a lot of merit but not many will rush out to see this unless it has some new technology that revolutionizes cinema again. If that's not there (which he's bragged is) the only thing here is a small fanbase because this movie isn't imprinted in peoples minds like Frozen was. People aren't going to dress up as the Navis like Star Wars. It's just not ingrained like that.

As for the numbers. Are you sure after they rush out see what happens and expect ot quality movie and get a mere inferior copy of anh that alot of os audiences won't becoming back for repeat viewings.  Well in banking on that.  Let's see if the os doesn't start dropping.  Great films like Avatar made 164m os in tiny tiny is market  and made that amount over 11times. Domestic run is impressive but os after UK not so much. 

19 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Kal, you need to donate if you want to see this forums alive in December 2017.

Baumer has always hated actress success and there are up to 4billion plus reasons from bo alone why they are doing avtr2. The juggernaut will show delusional Jedi's what true bo behemoth can truly do with these inflation powered powder puffs and large viewing windows but this time we have Cameron in the saddle and he's not wrecking his franchise for the long-term like jj possibly did with awakens. 

19 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

China has never supported tele. What happens if it makes only 80m to 120 there.  You forgot to mention no big releases have hit sws yet.  Aren't there five coming lol? 

It doesn't really matter if it only does 80-120 in China, because the domestic total alone will cover the difference. There are five Christmas releases that just opened... and SW is gonna do a $155-160m second weekend anyway.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

It might be but where is the anticipation for these movies like a new Star Wars, Marvel movie, DC movie, Harry Potter, etc. For such a huge movie, it was forgotten about very quickly. There isn't really a strong fanbase. That was the point I was making.

Now it's still James Cameron and his name alone holds a lot of merit but not many will rush out to see this unless it has some new technology that revolutionizes cinema again. If that's not there (which he's bragged is) the only thing here is a small fanbase because this movie isn't imprinted in peoples minds like Frozen was. People aren't going to dress up as the Navis like Star Wars. It's just not ingrained like that.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree.

AVATAR is getting its sequel in 2017. Looking for 'anticipation' in a span of eight years is just different compared to sequels to movies that get released 1 or 2 years after. Once shooting starts and the marketing kicks in, you will see the anticipation that you can't see.

Again, how do you measure fanbase here? Also, the first movie broke some home video sales records, clearly showing that people cared even without that 'revolutionary technology' that you are talking about.

Did people anticipate and support the SPIDER-MAN sequels to make huge numbers because the character is a pop culture icon? Were there any Marvel or DC films that made 700 M because of their long comic book history? AVATAR II will also make more than any POTTER film even with a big drop from the first.

And I just find it funny when you talk about people not dressing up as Na'vis. Obviously, it's way easier to dress up as a wizard or a Jedi than cover yourself with blue paint.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

First, how can you even say AVATAR has very little fandom? Personal opinion?

Second, you said it yourself, directors really matter so what is the problem here? Cameron is still the director.

Third, I don't know about you but I have seen people wear Avatar costumes in cosplays, even Christmas parties. There were stage plays inspired by it, and guess what it's getting a Disney Theme Park in 2017, perfect time for the sequel's release.

If I search Avatar fandom, more actually comes up for the anime then the movie. Search it yourself. Articles have also been written about it.

The theme set for Animal Kingdom is a great idea because the idea fits a theme park well. Still not sure how that will help push the upcoming movies to an insane gross.

But regarding cosplay, okay so you've seen people dress up as the costumes but have you seen that, at the level of Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Disney, Anime, Harry Potter, TMNT, LOTR, Terminator, Aliens, etc. because I definitely haven't.

There could be some sort of fandom and yes the theme park land will get the franchise back on peoples minds but it's not ingrained like the others. It was just sort of there and now it's not.

11 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

As for the numbers. Are you sure after they rush out see what happens and expect ot quality movie and get a mere inferior copy of anh that alot of os audiences won't becoming back for repeat viewings.  Well in banking on that.  Let's see if the os doesn't start dropping.  Great films like Avatar made 164m os in tiny tiny is market  and made that amount over 11times. Domestic run is impressive but os after UK not so much. 

Yeah...so they already are coming back for repeat viewings...that's happening everywhere not just in the US. The movie opened up in places like the UK and Australia before it did here. 

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

If I search Avatar fandom, more actually comes up for the anime then the movie. Search it yourself. Articles have also been written about it.

The theme set for Animal Kingdom is a great idea because the idea fits a theme park well. Still not sure how that will help push the upcoming movies to an insane gross.

But regarding cosplay, okay so you've seen people dress up as the costumes but have you seen that, at the level of Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Disney, Anime, Harry Potter, TMNT, LOTR, Terminator, Aliens, etc. because I definitely haven't.

There could be some sort of fandom and yes the theme park land will get the franchise back on peoples minds but it's not ingrained like the others. It was just sort of there and now it's not.

But these things really don't equate to AVATAR II's box office potential. Is this how you see things? That because the anime "AVATAR" comes up more on Google Cameron's AVATAR II won't make big numbers anymore? That because people dress up more like Leonardo, Hermione or Yoda, people will completely abandon the sequel? You are kidding me.

5 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I'm sorry but I completely disagree.

AVATAR is getting its sequel in 2017. Looking for 'anticipation' in a span of eight years is just different compared to sequels to movies that get released 1 or 2 years after. Once shooting starts and the marketing kicks in, you will see the anticipation that you can't see.

Again, how do you measure fanbase here? Also, the first movie broke some home video sales records, clearly showing that people cared even without that 'revolutionary technology' that you are talking about.

Did people anticipate and support the SPIDER-MAN sequels to make huge numbers because the character is a pop culture icon? Were there any Marvel or DC films that made 700 M because of their long comic book history? AVATAR II will also make more than any POTTER film even with a big drop from the first.

And I just find it funny when you talk about people not dressing up as Na'vis. Obviously, it's way easier to dress up as a wizard or a Jedi than cover yourself with blue paint.

Okay we'll just agree to disagree and see what happens when that occurs. Maybe it does blow up again. 

Regarding cosplay though...woah a lot of those people go to so much more work then just painting themselves blue.

3 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

But these things really don't equate to AVATAR II's box office potential. Is this how you see things? That because the anime "AVATAR" comes up more on Google Cameron's AVATAR II won't make big numbers anymore? That because people dress up more like Leonardo, Hermione or Yoda, people will completely abandon the sequel? You are kidding me.

No I don't think people will completely abandon it but I don't think it will have the same magic as the first time around.

How well it will do? 

That all depends on the technology used to go back to that world. If audiences are completely immersed again with something they have never experienced before, who knows.

If it doesn't have that, no I don't see it getting the same numbers the original had. Would have to gauge the response on social media to the marketing to even get an idea.

51 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Kal, SW has been out a little over a week. Here is how it compares with JW's final numbers... and I emphasize, SW has been out a little over a week.

STAR WARS JURASSIC WORLD
Germany $44,600,000 $48,500,000
France $38,000,000 $41,300,000
Australia $29,700,000 $39,000,000
UK $83,000,000 $99,600,000
Japan $25,700,000 $74,000,000
China hasn't opened yet $228,000,000
USA $500,000,000 $652,000,000

China has never supported tele. What happens if it makes only 80m to 120 there.  You forgot to mention no big releases have hit sws yet.  Aren't there five coming lol? 

Titanic will hold for the number 2 ww spot. And though slim I'm think jpw can still win. Lots of films have opened big and fisselled os.  450m and slot left to go to reach Titanic's 2b and change I might ad. Baum going to be on succide watch when are makes near or more than doubles the force.  Fanboys always lose to kal and Cameron wrecking train.  I hope just for good measure we slaughter the Dec ow record.  Though I suspect that young fan driven over record for Dec could stand for a while.  Cameron folks don't rush out necessarily like HP and was loonies to see his super epics.  But send films don't get 30 and 9.8 multipliers either tele. Force awakens will be a memory soon. L

We will see how was holds on the 3rd through 6th weekends tele. I'm betting on burn.  Them Lil kids dragging parents to sws has to end somewhere.  Not the same as Avatar in less theaters making 760 m anyway you slice it.  And if in right avtr2 will cripple the force awakens.  Let's see if it blows away Jp ww.  As also has no major releases hitting it.  Avatar took on many. 

7 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Okay we'll just agree to disagree and see what happens when that occurs. Maybe it does blow up again. 

Regarding cosplay though...woah a lot of those people go to so much more work then just painting  themselves blue.

More wrk goes into avtr characters on average than sws coplays guy. Kayom what you predicting for ages domestically and os

I can't wait to push awakens into 4th place ww pandorians.  Still got to give the force props. Breaking the ow in Dec was crazy.  What is going to happen in 2017 will be more epic. Avatar 2 opening to 160 to 200plus million but getting a 6 to 7x multiplier.  And so it is.  Remember where you were when I stated avtr will double force awakens or come very close to doubling it.  That is crazy.  We will make over 600m in China alone.  Save this for me kayom.  Lol at fans have forgotten avatar. All the sws,the Titanic and avtr fans are going to support avatar as well.  So we should make headlines on a global scale from the getgo.  Anyone think avtr2 can break the Dec ow record.  Looks tuff but James fans are incredible 

20 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Regarding cosplay though...woah a lot of those people go to so much more work then just painting themselves blue.

Maybe?  Biggest hv seller since Nemo over 55m units sold ww.  Biggest br of all time.  On most movie fans all-time top 5to top 10 list.  It's definitely going to be huge.  Only question  is can it hit over 900m to 1.2b domestic and 2.8b to 3b plus os. Some say 600m in Japan and China both will happen.  Told you Baum and other loonies are delusional.  Avatar is the most anticipated sequel globally of all time.  James finish up. My friend.  Let's take it up a notch.