Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

No one pays attention to movie news except industry people or fans. Your average person isn't gonna be noticing or paying attention to either the original news or the links provided by various geek sites.

You're right that any sort of AVATAR interest is basically in total hibernation right now. However, wait until a few months before release with the full weight of a massive Fox marketing campaign (and the ability to use the phrase "from James Cameron, the director of Aliens, T2, Titanic, and Avatar"), and presumably some cool-looking kickass footage, and those same indifferent people will now be either excited or curious. There are some who really didn't like the first AVATAR, so they won't see the second... but that's okay.

All of those things need to happen in order for A2 to be a success. But do you really doubt any of them?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

No one pays attention to movie news except industry people or fans. Your average person isn't gonna be noticing or paying attention to either the original news or the links provided by various geek sites.

You're right that any sort of AVATAR interest is basically in total hibernation right now. However, wait until a few months before release with the full weight of a massive Fox marketing campaign (and the ability to use the phrase "from James Cameron, the director of Aliens, T2, Titanic, and Avatar"), and presumably some cool-looking kickass footage, and those same indifferent people will now be either excited or curious. There are some who really didn't like the first AVATAR, so they won't see the second... but that's okay.

All of those things need to happen in order for A2 to be a success. But do you really doubt any of them?

Shhh. Be quiet.

14 minutes ago, VGPOP said:

I read that it has been delayed indefinitely.

I googled it and this is all I could find.

http://collider.com/collider-movie-talk-avatar-2-delayed/

I watched the first 5 mins of the vid and they're completely useless as a source.

"I'm not buying Avatar moved for actually reasons, it's just avoiding Star Wars"

and

"It probably will be released 2-3 months before in september"

The hell?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

I googled it and this is all I could find.

http://collider.com/collider-movie-talk-avatar-2-delayed/

I watched the first 5 mins of the vid and they're completely useless as a source.

"I'm not buying Avatar moved for actually reasons, it's just avoiding Star Wars"

and

"It probably will be released 2-3 months before in september"

The hell?

I do think Fox is more afraid of Star Wars than Disney is of Avatar. If both came out at about the same time both would suffer, Star Wars would win the domestic battle and Avatar would win WW total, but Episode VIII will have a lower production budget about $200 vs twice that or more for Avatar 2 and Disney has a lot more avenues than just the film to make money than Fox does with Avatar 2.

41 minutes ago, Biph Shmata said:

I do think Fox is more afraid of Star Wars than Disney is of Avatar. If both came out at about the same time both would suffer, Star Wars would win the domestic battle and Avatar would win WW total, but Episode VIII will have a lower production budget about $200 vs twice that or more for Avatar 2 and Disney has a lot more avenues than just the film to make money than Fox does with Avatar 2.

Ok thats your opinion on which would lose a 1v1.

The point is however that Avatar 2 didn't move because of Star Wars.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Ok thats your opinion on which would lose a 1v1.

The point is however that Avatar 2 didn't move because of Star Wars.

I think Episode VIII moved because the Avatar 2 delay left that slot open. I don't think either studio is dumb enough to release both movies in direct competition, money trumps dick measuring contests.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Biph Shmata said:

I think Episode VIII moved because the Avatar 2 delay left that slot open. I don't think either studio is dumb enough to release both movies in direct competition, money trumps dick measuring contests.  

Exactly my train of thought.

This has been said before, but I'll say it again:

Disney owns the theme park rights to Avatar. They are currently building a multi million dollar Avatar section in Florida's Animal Kingdom, which they're expecting will be a major anchor for that park. They have an actual monetary interest in seeing the Avatar sequels do well, and putting Star Wars 8 in direct competition with Avatar 2 would have made literally zero sense from a business standpoint for them.

Edited by Sir Tiki
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Honestly, why is James Cameron even trying at this point? With Avatar I mean. He always meant Avatar to be the Star Wars for this generation and the first one had a rough start. It's fun to look at, but it's boring as hell and it had ZERO cultural impact. No one talks about that film. It has influenced nothing. I've seen TV commercials that affected people more than Avatar. He has taken so long getting this thing going and unfortunately Star Wars has literally started again.

I think James Cameron just needs to move on.

Edited by Ariana
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ariana said:

Honestly, why is James Cameron even trying at this point? With Avatar I mean. He always meant Avatar to be the Star Wars for this generation and the first one had a rough start. It's fun to look at, but it's boring as hell and it had ZERO cultural impact. No one talks about that film. It has influenced nothing. I've seen TV commercials that affected people more than Avatar. He has taken so long getting this thing going and unfortunately Star Wars has literally started again.

I think James Cameron just needs to move on.

There's about 2.7 billion reasons why he doesn't need to move on.

• Like 2

And Cameron's payday is ridiculous.  So he gets a billion dollars to make these three films regardless of how much they make?  That's insane.  I realize the chances of them merely making 3 billion dollars WW is slim to none, but if they were to disappoint and the interest in them was gone, Fox is going to be out a pile of money.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Baumer said:

And Cameron's payday is ridiculous.  So he gets a billion dollars to make these three films regardless of how much they make?  That's insane.  I realize the chances of them merely making 3 billion dollars WW is slim to none, but if they were to disappoint and the interest in them was gone, Fox is going to be out a pile of money.

8gXWO9e.gif

Like you said thats a big if, my right arm has more chance of falling off overnight than any of these films making less than a $1b.

Depsite what the internet says everyone remembers Avatar, people say it has no pop culture or something like the amount of toys it sold effects how good the film was. I don't think Scott Mendleson envisioned so many internet haters parroting him without even reading the article.

21 minutes ago, Baumer said:

There's about 2.7 billion reasons why he doesn't need to move on.

Interesting to note that when Jim pitched Avatar to the fox that sequels were part of the pitch. The reason being that could re-use assets and make the second film for much less, then it made 2.7b and fox through their money at him anyway.

Edited by IronJimbo

I realize that these kinds of numbers are way beyond my comprehension as I have no idea what it means to have a billion dollars.  But Fox must be pretty damn sure they are going to make a pile of money from this if they are willing to gamble on giving JC about 1.5 billion in salary.

The hobbit trilogy made nearly 3b ww (978m each).

1.7b(A2) + 1.5b(A3) + 1.3b(A4) gives Avatar each 4.5b / 1.5b each.

This is the low end imo.

5-5.5b for the trilogy is likely.

5.5-6b is the high end.

Edited by a2knet